Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doesn't Beauty Start With A Smile?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Well, if you do smile, it does make other people feel better and if you feel in the mood to smile - then go for it! At an event or party, I'm enjoying myself so I smile and chat to whoever is there. I like meeting people and smiling is a way of being approachable to others.

It does make the world a more pleasant place to be and is miles better than the sea of scowls you generally see most days. :)

Kim_B

Practically Family
Miss Sis said:
Well, if you do smile, it does make other people feel better and if you feel in the mood to smile - then go for it! At an event or party, I'm enjoying myself so I smile and chat to whoever is there. I like meeting people and smiling is a way of being approachable to others.

It does make the world a more pleasant place to be and is miles better than the sea of scowls you generally see most days. :)

I agree! I tend to smile when passing people in the halls or on the street - it's not as if I wander around with a maniacal grin about my face! I do believe the only people who are capable of smiling 24/7 are those with plastic surgery gone awry! ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
TheKitschGoth said:
People that do that bug me, they don't know the person they are telling to smile, for all they know that stranger may well have been told bad news. So telling them to "cheer up", or my personal favourite "it might never happen", isn't the best idea. If those people really wanted to see people smiling maybe they should make the effort to find out why they aren't smiling in the first place.

Or pay them a compliment. :)

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
Or pay them a compliment. :)

Exactly. But then I find a lot of the people that tend to shout at people to cheer up are actually just doing it because they think it sounds witty :eusa_doh: Or maybe it's just where I live [huh]

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
jazzzbaby said:
some of the ladies that were dressed up in genuine vintage
wear never seemed to crack a smile.

In my circle of friends this is called "Rockabilly Poo Face" and it has nothing to do with what some of you gals have mentioned above. Go to Viva Las Vegas and you'll see plenty of it - some vintage women are just plain mean.

Molly O'Star

New in Town
I agree with you, Rebecca. This is definitely something that happens at all of the Rockabilly shows. I think it's mostly about girls who never learned to be women...

They get all dolled up and as soon as they see someone they think looks better than they do, they start scowling. Or, they keep the perma-scowl on as if to say, "We don't have to be friendly, because this is OUR place." Really, I think a lot of it comes from general cattiness. It gets to the point that you can't even really tell a girl you like her dress, or shoes, or anything, because she just rolls her eyes and makes a beeline for the closest neo-greaser to prove she's Bettier-than-thou.

I love to smile and do it all the time. I've met some awesome women just because we smiled at each other. Let all the frowners be miserable together, I'm having a good time and I don't care who knows it! :D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
When I don't look very cheery at my usual party places, it's usually because my friends aren't there and I don't see anyone I wish to strike up a conversation with. I've been around long enough to know that conversation attempts in that case will be met with 13-year-old-isms. To wit:

"Have you been here before?"

"No."

"How do you like it?"

"Great."

"Did you go to the class earlier?"

"No."

:mad:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Then there was the guy who walked into our office, didn't find me friendly enough, said "You're in the wrong job, honey" and tattled to my superiors. :rage:

Of course, they didn't believe him when he said I was rude.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
YES...the 'bettier-than-thou" is a classic line! So is "Rockabilly Poo Face"
I am laughing so hard at these ~

My opinion on smiling is this. No one has to smile all the time. We all can see a scowl is different than that blank look of "I Vant To Be Alone" (courtesy of Garbo there) ~ It's just when a person has warmth to their personality it comes across in a natural way. It's just an ease that accompanies their glances or their smile. I smiled a lot on Friday night because it had been three years since I have been out and the night was glorious. BUT, I didn't smile at the drunk guy next to me who was staring at my cleavage...I just kept looking away in other directions whilst smiling.

This has been so interesting reading peoples replies. I have been guilty of telling someone they need to smile. Actually, they are usually people who have been mean and I saw them pushing someone or glaring at me. It's startling to see such hatred in someone's eyes and my reaction was to tell them to smile b/c then the hatred might leave their face.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Definitely so true about the "Bettier-than-thou" thing! Unfortunately, I find myself doing little more than a 2 second, tentative smile when I'm around other vintage women, usually because I'm intimidated when I see that they aren't smiling back.

The best is when they try their hardest to ignore you. They'll look in everyone else's direction but yours. They act like seeing vintage clothes on another woman will turn them to stone! It's definitely a strange feeling sometimes, I'm not very used to such female competitiveness.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
We aren't perfect at discerning others' expressions. I read awhile back that young people often mistake fear for anger. The person who is yukking it up may be compensating for something else.

When I was much younger, I got really tired of continually hearing, "Smile!" "Cheer up!" "It can't be that bad!" and "Why are you so sad?" I can say from experience these are not good conversation starters. It really might be that bad, or the person may not be sad at all. (If they are, you might hear more about it than you bargained for.)

On the other hand, yes, there is a big difference between a neutral expression and a scowl. The latter is what I usually see on middle-aged to old women who go to dances. I'm sure they wonder why nobody asks them to dance.

Mojito

One Too Many
I enjoy being around people who smile warmly, often and sincerely. I also do try to consciously follow the advice to smile before you answer the phone (it will be conveyed in your voice), and when I'm in a social setting I try not to lapse into my habitual expression.

Unfortunately, I'm naturally quite an introverted person, and this - judging from a lifetime of comments strangers have felt justified in making to me - seems to result in a pensive or even sad default expression.

I've been walking along the street perfectly content but deep in thought, when people approaching from the opposite direction have directed me to "smile!" or "cheer up - it can't be that bad". Once, stopped while on foot at the crossing lights, a care pulled up alongside and the occupant leaned out to say "Smile, Love - it might never happen!"

The irony is that on several occasions when this has happened I've been in an extremely good mood - just very deep in thought. The introspection seems to give me a grim expression!

When actively engaged in what is going on around me it is different - indeed, when I've lapsed into the usual introspective mode around friends, I've had some ask in concern what the matter is, as "you're not your usual vivacious self!" I have to explain that there's nothing at all wrong - I'm living in my head for a while.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Yes, people can look serious when they are deep in thought. A few months ago, my best friend and I were at a club. From her expression, I'd have bet the rent money that she was having a lousy time--and I've known her for six years. But she said she was enjoying herself. (When she hasn't enjoyed herself somewhere, she has said so.) She's also gotten the "smile!" comments throughout her life.

When I want to know a person's mood, I listen to their voice.

On the other hand, I agree that there is a time and place to put on your game face. And I admire those who seem to have a perpetually sunny mood. But some of us just aren't of that bent.

Molly O'Star

New in Town
Mojito said:
seems to result in a pensive or even sad default expression.

Oh, that's the story of my life. I get told to "smile" all the time. I make a big effort, when I'm out, to smile, because I know that changes the way people will react to me.

But, when I'm reading, or working at my desk, I'm really not interested in what everyone else thinks. I have a heavy brow and my "resting face" comes out as sort of a frown. Not that anything's wrong - I'm just concentrating! It does seem to throw people off a bit, though.

My friend Laurel is the only one who has ever really understood as she has an angry/sad/frowning "resting face," too. She always tells people (especially men!), "If Molly, is smiling, she's happy and if she's frowning, she's listening. If she's not happy, she'll tell you."

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
I smile plenty enough when not preoccupied.

I do have to say that I do get rather annoyed when commanded to smile while working. I'm usually juggling several things in my head, trying to remember to do three other things when I'm finished, and gosh darn it, I'm concentrating! Too bad if I'm not being eye candy enough for passers-by ( at my cube).

I also have to point out that men would *never* tell another man to "Smile!", at least I've never witnessed it. So why is it acceptable to walk up to a woman you don't even know and issue the command?

("I think I will smile now, thanks! I'm you're bosses' boss, and I just figured out who gets the smallest pay raise this year. :D Wow, you're right, I *do* feel better!")

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm not necessarily the kind of person who's always walking around with a smile...I tend to be a 'thinker'...if I'm not in conversation with someone, then I'm probaby thinking of errands, house chores, the kids, ect...which tends to bring about the 'concentration/frown' face...and I agree, it really pisses me off when someone say's 'smile!' or worse, 'turn that frown upside down' yeah, I do a mental slap of that person's face.
In social settings, I've worked hard on making sure that there is a smile planted on. I've found that since I find other's more approachable with a happy face, so why wouldn't I?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And then again...

There are the odd madmen who think it wrong to smile!

Back when I was managing a vintage store, one day a man walked in, I said the usual, "hi, let me know if you need any help" and he said
"I want to see the manager."
"I am the manager, how may I help you?"
"Then I want to see someone else!"
So I turned to my (highly amused) co-worker and said, "perhaps you can handle this?"
I went to the opposite end of the very small shop, and overheard:
"Yes, sir, what can I do for you?"
"Make her stop smiling at me!"

Okay? Isn't that just plain weird? Ah, the joys of working with the public.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I don't like to dictate to other people what they should do because I don't take well to being told what to do but I'm a naturally very smiley person. I can't help that I usually nod and smile at people.....even when I was in Londonlol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL