Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dog Fighting? Good God Almighty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feraud

Bartender
I read about this a week or so ago. It is amazing what this overgrown, overpaid idiot is doing in his free time.
To think this was an ongoing situation makes the offense all the more horrible.
Does anyone know what legal penalties can be incurred for engaging in this action? I would imagine the penalty is not strong enough.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I read about this a week or so ago. It is amazing what this overgrown, overpaid idiot is doing in his free time.
To think this was an ongoing situation makes the offense all the more horrible.
Does anyone know what legal penalties can be incurred for engaging in this action? I would imagine the penalty is not strong enough.

Well it depends on whether or not it's considered animal cruelty. If so, I believe it is a felony in most states.

Not that I think dog racing is really any better.

I think they've indicted him on felony animal cruelty charges. 5 years in prison i believe is the severest jail-time penalty.

People get themselves into the mentality that they can do what they want due to constant pampering. Tell someone he's perfect from the moment he learns to catch/throw a ball, give a barely literate man a free ride through college, and reward his ability to catch a ball with millions of dollars a year. I can't think of anyone who would be a normally adjusted human being after such treatment.

bk

Feraud

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
People get themselves into the mentality that they can do what they want due to constant pampering. Tell someone he's perfect from the moment he learns to catch/throw a ball, give a barely literate man a free ride through college, and reward his ability to catch a ball with millions of dollars a year. I can't think of anyone who would be a normally adjusted human being after such treatment.

bk
That just about sums up the sports mentality. Unfortunately I know some children who are currently on that path.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
This is why I can't in good conscience support "my team" or most sports in general.
Gone are the days when players were just regular guys with jobs to do.
Now sports is filled with over-payed morons that can get away with murder. :rage:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pete, I'm not even going to open this...

As a news reporter (and major dog/animal lover), I sadly covered stories on this type of thing, and also involving badgers too. I just find it very difficult to think about, and the whole thing is so sick.:(

Summation: One of the major stars of the National Football League has been indicted by a Federal Grand Jury. Apparently he is at the forefront of a dogfighting "ring" and fights happened at his house.

Let's say the participants were not happy with the dogs that refused to fight.

it stuns me sometimes just how cruel people can be.

bk

p.s. I must say that such animal fights were a feature of rural life in the early-mid 1930s. One of the truly important advances society has made - through legislation and regulation, fancy that! - is in the realm of animal cruelty.

Dagwood

Practically Family
You can find the 18-page indictment at this link. We also learn that Vick goes by the nickname of "Ookie."

[NOTE - In my opinion, the indictment can be graphic as it discusses animal cruelty and should be viewed with caution]

Hondo

One Too Many
Its bad, in the old days, it’s been mostly for those in low income or little education.
Its sad that those who make so much $$$ have to use animals in their free time to whatever.
I’ve seen what dogs can do to human skin and bones, imagine another dog.
I hate to see this as entertainment, its sicking

BTW: Its a federal Offensive punishable by 6 years in prison AND over $350,000 fine.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Alright these sorts of stories always disturb me. Its hard to believe that some people think that it is alright to do this sort of thing. Personally in these situations I'd love for it to be an eye for an eye kinda thing and let them see what its like to be torn apart by a dog.

The sad thing is since he is a big sports star he is more then likely going to get a slap on the wrist and won't learn a thing.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
It is very pathetic to think that in this day and age, dogfighting is considered "entertainment".
Every time I think that people have "evolved", I'm swiftly brought back to earth by stories like this.

Rooster

Practically Family
There are parts of this story I find very disturbing, and they have nothing to do with dogs.
" Pacelle said. "Yes, these are accusations. But for him to have claimed that he knew nothing about the activities there is unbelievable … that's why we think the league should suspend him under its conduct policy."If you're just going to wait for the judicial process, why even have a conduct policy?"
What ever happened to Due proccess? Aren't we all inoccent untill proven guilty? Who gave the "Humane Society":rolleyes: the power to be involved in a legal case. Are any "Human Society" employees elected to office? Are they on the Government payroll? If not why do they have any say in this or any other legal matter?
I'm not a dog fighter, I'm repulsed by the idea. But, a dog is a dog. What ever anybody wants to do with or to their dog is fine by me. It's really none of my business.
The "Humane Society" are the biggest hippocrates I've ever seen. I raise Game chickens for exibition and have contacts with cockfighters as these guys are the best when it comes to caring for chickens. Let me make clear, I'm not a cockfighter nor have I ever been to a pit in my life. When ever somebody who raises chickens gets accused of cockfighting the HSUS comes barreling in and kills all the guys chickens. And not humanely either I've read reports of Garoting with piano wire and gasing with cabonmonoxide from a car. Both methodes are a horrible way to kill chickens. A quick snap of the neck is all that is needed, I do it several hundred times a year on my farm. Not only are cockfighters harrassed by these morons, farm folks that raise chickens also have to deal with these HSUS people. The President of the Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities has recently had all of his animals confiscated, 154 in total. Mostly rare domestic fowl, but also the family pets, two dogs two cats and a parrot. this happened March 4, as of this time the authorities even refuse to tell these people where their animals are being held. All of this because they didn't like him using a plastic barrel for a doghouse. :rolleyes: This is all balled up in court at this time. Here again, this guy has been proven guilty of nothing, just accused. Innocent untill proven guilty? Not when the HSUS is involved!:rage:
Most of this crapola is a direct result of the urban lifestyle 99% of people live today. People have forgoten what animals are....just animals...they're not people nor do they have people's rights.
And don't think just because Cockfighting is made illegal it disappears. England outlawed the sport in 1834. Yet, it still goes on there today.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Get him out of the NFL - now!

I just wrote to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and voiced my outrage upon reading of the brutal and felonious treatment of dogs by Michael Vick. The public image of the NFL, and the Atlanta Falcons in particular, can only be redeemed by the suspension - permanently - of Vick. Maybe prison will illustrate to him how it feels to be caged and have to fight for survival

Rooster

Practically Family
OH come on! He's inocent untill proven guilty! I'd be more worried about all the pro athelets that are drug addicts and murderers.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24