Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dog fur coats at Macys.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
this news item popped up during the holidays.
HAve we discussed it yet?

http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=1138
Doggone Diddy Apologies for Fur Fracas

by Paul Cashmere - December 28 2006

Sean 'Diddy' Combs has apologized to animal rights activists after it was revealed that one of the jackets in his Sean Jean clothing range was made out of dog fur.

The fur from the raccoon dog was used in the hood of some of the jackets in his range. The raccoon dog is native to China and animals are brutally skinned alive for the fur.

In a statement Diddy said "I was unaware of the nature of this material, but as soon as we were alerted, the garments were pulled off the Macy's floor and website. I have instructed our licensee to cease the production of any garment using this material immediately."

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
incidentally

from another article
http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines/2006/12/diddy_replies_to_hsus_fur_accusations/

The Fur Products Labeling Act prohibits the advertising or sale of any fur product that is falsely or misleadingly labeled, and authorizes the Federal Trade Commission to seek criminal penalties, impose fines of up to $5,000 per violation and to seize mislabeled products.

The HSUS is also calling on Congress to amend the Dog and Cat Protection Act – which bans the sale of dog or cat fur in the United States – to include raccoon dog, since the animals are so inhumanely killed and the species is similar to domesticated dogs.

Raccoon dogs are indigenous to Asia, including eastern Siberia and Japan, and are sometimes called Asiatic raccoons, Finn raccoons, or tanuki.

MrBern said:
from another article
http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines/2006/12/diddy_replies_to_hsus_fur_accusations/

The Fur Products Labeling Act prohibits the advertising or sale of any fur product that is falsely or misleadingly labeled, and authorizes the Federal Trade Commission to seek criminal penalties, impose fines of up to $5,000 per violation and to seize mislabeled products.

The HSUS is also calling on Congress to amend the Dog and Cat Protection Act – which bans the sale of dog or cat fur in the United States – to include raccoon dog, since the animals are so inhumanely killed and the species is similar to domesticated dogs.

Raccoon dogs are indigenous to Asia, including eastern Siberia and Japan, and are sometimes called Asiatic raccoons, Finn raccoons, or tanuki.

I don't think it really mattters what our Congress passes. Clearly it is still going to continue in the country cited. How they got into this country in the first place whether they are racoon dogs or not is what they should concentrate on. They are dogs and still fall under the previous legislation.
Wanna bet Diddy is going to getty away with this without paying 50 cent? :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Feraud

Bartender
MrBern said:
In a statement Diddy said "I was unaware of the nature of this material, but as soon as we were alerted, the garments were pulled off the Macy's floor and website. I have instructed our licensee to cease the production of any garment using this material immediately."
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I applaud Sean Combs for showing great integrity and judgement.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It's surprising that anything at all made of real fur would have gotten to market with his label. I don't know about any of his sentiments regarding animals and fur, but surely someone watches what goes out over his name?

scotrace said:
It's surprising that anything at all made of real fur would have gotten to market with his label. I don't know about any of his sentiments regarding animals and fur, but surely someone watches what goes out over his name?

That was sort of what I was implying. How did it get out in the first place without someone's knowledge in his organization? [huh] :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic: I once met a woman who made sweaters out of her dogs' shed hair. But obviously at no harm to the dogs.

They weren't very handsome sweaters. They looked like they'd shed just like the dogs.

800px-Tanuki01_960.jpg

Looking further into the racoon dog, it seems they really aren't true dogs. It appears to be more closely related to the fox than the dog.
That being said, other sources state that the coats in question were originally marketed as faux fur. It wasn't until an animal rights organization outted the fur as racoon dog fur that they changed their tune.
Try this source for a different story:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16329355/?GT1=8816

Regards to all,

J

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Wanna bet Diddy is going to getty away with this without paying 50 cent? :eusa_doh:

One more of those puns and I'll be marketing a line
of jamespowers coats. :eek:

And I don't applaud Combs for allowing it to happen
in the first place and then bowing to public pressure.
He's responsible for this and he gets no points from me
for making a statement he simply had to make. I applaud
those who pay attention to wages, child labor, and materials
at the factories making their products.

feltfan said:

Now that makes sense. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
I applaud

What the heck, lets applaud everybody who has a heart :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :D

Feraud

Bartender
feltfan said:
Huh? I think we all appreciate fair wage providers.
Let us not be too hard on someone when we honestly have no idea what Combs was aware of to begin with! Do we at least agree on this?
All we know for sure is when it was brought to his attention he made a swift and positive move. For better or worse, this is the mark of a decision maker.
Everything else is pure subjective speculation.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Maybe entertainers should stick to entertainings instead of endorsing products they know nothing more about than the average person does.

Section10

One of the Regulars
I have a fur buyer's price list from the late 1800's and dog and domestic cat hides are listed right along with other wild fur bearers like beaver and fox. People's sentiments change over the years, yet it seems we are still just as eager to hate our fellow humans quite as effectively as we've ever done. Sacred cows roam the streets unmolested in parts of the world while people starve to death in the gutters.
That gentle shampoo you wash your hair with every day was most likely first sprayed into a rabbit's eyes to see if it would irritate, since a rabbit's eyes share the same sensitivities as a human's. We are all participants in animal suffering at some level. We protect and enhance some species because it suits us to do so and we annihilate other species for the same reason. Where do usefulness and mercy meet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24