Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dog fur coats at Macys.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
actually, he's doing quite well.
FromWikipedia:
Sean John is a clothing line founded in 1998 by hip-hop mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs. The name of the label comes from the first and middle names of Combs. One of the most successful fashion brands started by a celebrity, and arguably the most famous in rap alongside others such as Phat Farm, the popular clothing resulted in Combs being named Best Menswear Designer of 2004 by the prestigious Council of Fashion Designers.

I, on the other hand, would have to see the balance sheet before I'd say he's "doing well."

Feraud

Bartender
Paisley said:
I, on the other hand, would have to see the balance sheet before I'd say he's "doing well."
You are not serious with that comment are you??
Do you seriously need to see a man's balance sheet to allow the comment, "doing well"?
I say hate the game not the playa. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
You are not serious with that comment are you??
Do you seriously need to see a man's balance sheet to allow the comment, "doing well"?
I say hate the game not the playa. ;)

I was referring to his business, not whether he himself was happy and contented.

Feraud

Bartender
Paisley said:
I was referring to his business, not whether he himself was happy and contented.
So am I.
MrBern mentioned doing well and you took him to task for it. Combs' company is a public one and you should look up his balance sheet to let us know just how well Combs is not doing.

Are we seriously discussing what "doing well" means?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
mislabelled fur.

Paisley said:

I really wouldnt know where to get that info.
I have seen SeanJohn referred to as a $175 million biz.
I have read that he gives millions to charity.

heres soem more info from answers.com & wikipedia:
Combs is one of the wealthiest people in the American entertainment industry. In 2002, he was featured on Fortune magazine's "40 Richest People Under 40" list and was placed number 1 in the list of the top ten richest people in hip-hop.

But the finances of Sean John is starting to go off on a tangent.
The real question is whether or not he knew it was racoondog fur.
The humane society tested 10 garments, nine of which was racoondog.
The humane society has tested fur trimmed jackets from a variety or designers, clothinglines & retailers from JCpenney to Saks to CalvinKlein and revealed that:

most of the jackets labeled as "raccoon" or coyote" from China in fact contained fur from raccoon dogs.

so who's responsible for the labels, China or the designers?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Warning: Potentially Boring Post Ahead

:eek:fftopic: To me, the point of a company is to make money. Whether Mr. Combs is making money with his fashion house, I cannot say from Mr. Berns' (previous) comments. Whatever else a company accomplishes, it cannot exist indefinitely without making money (or getting it from somewhere else). As a $175M concern, it may be doing extremely well. However, large companies can go under, too.

If doing well means getting publicity and awards, then by that standard, it would seem that his fashion company is doing well.

At the CPA firm where I work, we have clients who appear to be doing well, but they don't grow or accumulate any wealth. They don't have anything that isn't mortgaged. They may have three clients and one supplier. Their opinion letter may even have a "going concern" paragraph. They are on a treadmill.

GOK

One Too Many
Section10 said:
I don't believe the skinning alive part. That must be just hype. It would have to be a major hassle to attempt anything like that.

I don't have time at the moment to fully post in this thread but I just wanted to say that it's not hype. It might not happen at every fur farm in China and Russia but it certainly happens in some. I've seen the filmed footage myself and I can tell you that it is heartbreaking to say the least. :(

Section10

One of the Regulars
Actually skinning an animal alive is something I've never heard of. I hesitate to doubt you, but perhaps the film was manipulated or the animals skinned that way simply for the sake of the film????? It would have to be done for a reason, but I can see no advantage to be gained by such a practice.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know. To save time? Like not squashing a bug before flushing it down the can? Of course I hope that news video I saw was depicting a rare practice, anyway. Apparently sometimes the men bang the animal's head against the ground first, so the animal is indeed still alive :( . (The picture of the raccoondogs is now my wallpaper.)

Section10

One of the Regulars
Morality aside, skinning something alive would be counterproductive to a fast and easy job as far as I can see. There are distinct advantages for waiting until the body heat is gone and even some artificial cooling is preferable. I'll not go into detail since so many here seem to be surprisingly and irrationally sensitive with such subjects, but I must admit I am at a loss to understand the rationale of such a practice.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I said, I don't know. I can't figure out an explanation for it either. I haven't seen or heard any explanation for the pratice. No hunter I've asked can figure out why they would do this, except that the perpetrators are ignorant, or just plain cruel. [huh] I'm guessing ignorant/inexperienced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24