Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Donald Duck sailor cap and Goofy's hat?

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
We're all familiar with Donald Duck cartoon character, but as now we're in hat forum, I wonder how does the real cap look like in real world? Is that modeled based on real sailor cap?

Of course Donald Duck sometimes wear brimmed hats, I remember he wears a straw boater (or porkpie?) in "Crazy over Daisy" riding a bike :) you know when he finally had a messy day with Chip and Dale :)

And Goofy's hat - what kind of hat is that actually? :D Any idea?

deelovely

Practically Family
Here's a couple of pics to help get a visual! :D

DonaldDuck.jpg

goofy-2.gif

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
The "Donald Duck" sailor cap was based on a real Navy uniform hat that was used until World War I. It is also the hat that the sailor on the "Cracker Jack" box wore for years! It was made of dark "blue" (looked black) wool felt, with a grosgrain ribbon and a soft leather sweatband. I found a photo of my Daddy wearing one, but he did not remember it. It was worn only with the enlisted "dress blues" (black looking, wool bell bottom pants and matching jumper. The dark hat was replaced with the white cotton sailor hat in the mid forties. It used to be that the Military Surplus store on the Strand, in Galveston, TX, had a bin full of "new old stock," but I haven't been there in six years.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Wow, that cap does exist! :) Thanks for the info! The seller even states it as "Donald Duck-style!"

Now we're left with goofy's hat...:) ?

Another thing that is quite interesting for me now (that I've been involved in Fedora Lounge) from Mickey-Donald-Goofy trio is that their films are made during golden era, right? So if you notice how the city is drawn, the citizens, I believe you can find a lot of great golden era fashion on display!

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
It was known as the "flat hat", and was still part of normal sea-bag issue into the 1960's, depending on where you went to boot camp. My cousin came home with one in 1964, although he said they never wore them. It may have been "optional" which the Navy did with several uniforms. My suspicion is that every time more obsolete items were found in a warehouse, they were shipped to a Recruit Training Depot for distribution, just to get them off the books.

You can seem them in old Navy recruiting posters.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goofy's hat. Try this, its a fedora, with the brim turned up all the way around, with a dent in the top. Much like a stingy brimmed pork pie with a tall crown pushed out.
Johnny

One of the first drawings of "Goofy" was when he was a character called Dippy Dawg:

zXolxiW.jpg

The intent was for his hat to be just an old worn fedora, but during the change from Dippy to Goofy the hat and the character became less ragged and more streamlined, and the brim was drawn snapped up all around like a Porkpie. Essentially it became sort of a Porkpie with a tall crown and a Center Dent crease. I'm not sure such a hat ever existed in the physical world until the "marketeers" at Disney tried to create one:

JMcfey2.jpg

Somehow, I don't think that's going to answer the question, "What kind of hat does Goofy wear?" :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy