Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doolittle Raiders Reunion

Markbcvg

New in Town
I thought people might enjoy seeing these photos. I was fortunate to attend the 68th Doolittle Raiders reunion at the National Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton, OH in April 18, 2010.

First is the group of B-25s parked on the museum runway before a fly over. The second is of the memorial fly over that had about 18 B-25s flying overhead. Gotta love that radial engine roar...

The third image is of the attending raiders signing autographs in the museum. Left to Right in white hats: David Thatcher (who was played by Robert Walker in 30 Seconds over Tokyo), Thomas Griffin (Navigator on the raid, German POW 1943-45), and Richard Cole (Jimmy Doolittle's Co-Pilot). Robert Hite also attended the event, but had to leave the day before these photos were taken.

%20B25s_Parked.jpg

%20FlyOver.jpg

%2068thReunion_DavidThatcher_ThomasGriffin_RichardCole.jpg

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Outstanding !!! i planned to go to the reunion but something else came up. I heard from one of the volunteers that on the 18th, they had somewhere around 16,000 attendees. I still would have loved to see that B 25 overcast.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I was fortunate to attend the 50th Reunion in Columbia SC. I took a friend of mine that was a pharmacist mate on the Hornet to the reunion. He gave Col. Doolittle his shot prior to the mission. He had a good time and was treated like royalty. He signed possibly 2000 autographs during the event and was given a free ride on a B-25. He is gone now and I really miss him. My dad has also passed as well. He was in the 13th Air Force in the South Pacific.

Story

I'll Lock Up
B-25 Pacific Princess 68th Doolittle Reunion

April 27, 2010

B-25J 'Pacific Princess' and crew participates in the largest gathering of B-25's since WWII for the 68th Doolittle Raiders Reunion held April 17th & 18th, 2010 at USAF Museum, Wright Field Dayton OH. 17 B-25's formed up for a fly-over the Doolittle Memorial ceremony. 8 Doolittle Raiders of the original 79 remain, 4 were able to attend the 2010 event. Air to Air shots filmed from the tail gunner seat of 'Pacific Princess', ship # 2 in the 17 ship formation by VictoryGirl.com

[YOUTUBE]bPJerWrsz0Q[/YOUTUBE]

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I have a bad feeling that the Empire of the Sun would have done that anyhow. They would just use the Doolittle as an excuse to go berserk. Don't forget what they did to Nanking or as we should pronounce it, Nanjing in 1937. I don't remember how many people were killed but I think it was pretty close to the same amount. Now this massacre was done AFTER the Imperial troops had taken the city, not while they took the city. They raped over 80,000 women and did other unspeakable acts. Fortunately, that empire is no more.

csmiller

New in Town
Hi all,

Would any of you know if they have ever made a DVD of this Doolittle Reunion? I would love to get a copy is they have made one. Thanks.

Craig

Ruptured Duck™

New in Town
More pics

I was there as well, and I actually was able to attend the small-attended official dinner with the Raiders the first night of the weekend.

Here are some more pics!

1dsc01222.jpg

1dsc01210.jpg

The Raiders posing with current B-25 pilots/owners...
dsc01262.jpg

1dsc01263.jpg

Griffin
1dsc01202.jpg

Cole
1dsc01226.jpg

Hite
1dsc01218.jpg

The legendary goblets
1dsc01217.jpg

The Dinner "Doolittle Chocolate"
1dsc01214.jpg

You probably could guess by my screen name, that I'm a fan!

Ruptured Duck™

New in Town
aren't the goblets usually on display at the museum? i vaguely recall seeing them.

They are on display there, but are moved every Apr 18, depending on wherever the reunion is in the country. However, it was obviously easy this year as they merely had to move them across the museum to the dinner area.

Ruptured Duck, thanks for the pics. I am a builder of model aircraft and currently have 6 B-25's including the Doolittle Raider version in my collection.

No problem! You should post pics of your collection....I'd love to see it!

1dsc01239.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
William Marsh "Bill" Bower,
COL (Ret'd), USAF
Doolittle Raider
http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_17061321

"He never drew attention to himself," Carrigan said. "He was very humble, kind and generous. I'm grateful that my children will continue to enjoy the liberties and freedoms that he fought so hard for."

Story

I'll Lock Up
Ed Saylor has 28 years of stories to share from his career with the Air Force. None, though, compares with his first combat mission.

As a 22-year-old flight engineer in 1942, Saylor was one of the 80 men aboard 16 bombers that took part in the Doolittle Raid on five Japanese cities, one of the most famous bombing missions in World War II.

Now 91, the Puyallup resident spent time Wednesday sharing some of his stories and checking out a B-25 Mitchell bomber similar to the one he flew in during the raid.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/06/15/1708012/south-sound-vet-91-recalls-role.html#ixzz1PSPkMvPR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80