Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dorothy's Diary - time travel back to 1945

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I stumbled across this a few days ago and since then, have been devouring it as fast as I can.

Dorothy (Dot) kept a daily diary in 1945, at the age of 16, detailing the trials and tribulations of a teenager at that time. Sometimes mundane, sometimes steamy soap opera, it's a snapshot in time that's fascinating to read.

Her son, Dave, found his mother's diary years after her passing, and in 2007 created this web project to publish the diary. He researched local newspaper headlines of the day to provide historical context, along with youtube videos of movies and newsreels of the day. It's a fascinating look back in time.

Interesting note: in reading the 1945 portion of this diary, I've found that the calendar dates line up exactly with 2012 dates. So Friday November 30 in 2012 was also Friday November 30 in 1945. Kind of makes it more personal and relatable, somehow.

http://www.dhdd.net/dorothy/1946/today.html

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just finished reading this. It was incredibily enjoyable, and like a mini soap opera.

Spoiler alert: It's obvious that the blogger mother has passed, but I wasn't prepared for what happened in the epilogue... I admit it really made me sad. I am incredibly glad he has this piece of his mother - he very much deserves it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner