Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do's and Don'ts in Fashion

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The reason some people dislike blue with green (or orange with pink) is that their eye is expecting one color (the blue or the pink) to be darker than the other color (the green or orange). When it isn't, it's jarring. So navy with apple green is better than medium blue with kelly green, and red with orange is better than pink with orange. Similar combinations in pastels would be less jarring also.

maisie

Practically Family
Also I think if you coordinate you accessories (hat, handbag, gloves, shoes) with colours in you outfit that is the best way to think about it. So, for example if you were going to wear a red,white and blue summer day dress, you could possible have white sandles with a red handbag and a blue hat and gloves, as long as all the accessories match the same shade as it the dress!
But i suggest when wearing a plain coloured suit go for all the same colour accessories!:D

maisie

Practically Family
So navy with apple green is better than medium blue with kelly green,

I love kelly green!:rolleyes: I've got a brown and kelly green 40's suit and those colours were just made to go together!:D
Also kelly green and purple look nice!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
but it also depends on the suit also, because sometimes if it's all one color, I like to add a little splash of color through jewelry without being obnoxious of course! I've even found with same colored outfits, a cute hair accessory with a complimentary color works very well also

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Aqua and brown does look smashing, as does mint green and brown, and pink and brown. I have a mid-30s dress in the dark brown with aqua chiffon trim, and a mid-40s dress in pink rayon with brown crepe accents and buckstitching.

16_sparrows

Vendor
Viola said:
The only color faux pas I can think of are:

1) No brown shoes with black outfits

I don't know if I agree with this one. I have seen some smart outfits that consist of a brown top, black skirt and brown shoes. Or a black dress with a brown belt and shoes. But then, perhaps it really depends on the shade of brown. In those two instances, the browns were a deeper, chocolate brown.

MissQueenie said:
Never wear suspenders and a belt. People will think you are paranoid.

MissQueenie, that has to be the funniest thing I've heard all day. Thanks for putting a smile on my face!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've also found that certain colors just don't look good on people depending on skin tone and hair color. Like for me, blue is unflattering unless it's more on the greenish-blue side

maisie

Practically Family
I remember seeing a original 40's booklet on ebay called 'Do's and Don't for Short/Tall Girls' (there were two different types) and one thing I remember it saying was that short girls should not wear big hats if they want to avoid looking like an umbrella!!:eek:
However taller people can get away with it!:D

maisie

Practically Family
Also lime and coral go great together! I got a 40's dress the other day and the colours are so unusual!!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have a "Dos and Don'ts" booklet from 1943 that covers everything from hats to flowers to makeup colors (for every face shape, figure type, age, and general flaw you can think of, plus some you wouldn’t have!) I need to dig it up and post some of the tips—some of the illustrations are hilarious!

Trixie

One of the Regulars
I dont like those slogan shirts that say things like AVAILABLE or YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS on anyone under 15 or over 16. Okay, I dont like them on anyone.

Also, chipped toenail polish with sandals! That's just not attractive.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
agreed, slogan shirts are awful any age...the 'got milk?' one was probably the worst....may be considered funny with an actual baby in hand, but horrible

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
I have a "Dos and Don'ts" booklet from 1943 that covers everything from hats to flowers to makeup colors (for every face shape, figure type, age, and general flaw you can think of, plus some you wouldn’t have!) I need to dig it up and post some of the tips—some of the illustrations are hilarious!

YES PLEASE DO!

Here's a link to some nice natural waist pants at Ann Taylor Loft...thought I'd share.

http://www.anntaylorloft.com/atlSho...ion_Id=64&cm_re=Pant Landing -_-Image-_-Laura

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Do's and Don'ts of a grey suit.

I just purchased a vintage grey suit. It is actually black and white weave which gives it a grey look. The grey leans more towards a green hue than an ash and I was wondering what color accessories I could wear with it, other than black, and which colors I should avoid! :) When I say accesories I am referring to shoes, hats, gloves, with a secondary emphasis on blouse and jewelry. Thanks gals! :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You could pair it with a dark green, to pull out any green tones, or try burgundy or red accessories. Royal blue and yellow look smashing with black and white as well. But black and white will lend itself to any color combination:

1940mccallb.jpg

1942gorray.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats