Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double breasted vests

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Benny Holiday said:
Very stylish John. My tailor is working on my first three-piece suit currently, and it features the very same style of vest along with a beltback coat (replete with centre pleat) and hi-rise trousers. I will post pics when I obtain the suit in a few weeks' time but in the meantime, I'm very inspired by your vest my friend!

If its anything like that belted sport-coat your tailor made a while back(I'm pretty sure it was you :eusa_doh: ) you are in for something great. What kind of material are you having it done in?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
fluteplayer07 said:
Would I just buy a size up in any new jacket, to accommodate a waist coat?

It depends on the thickness/bulk of the fabric the waistcoat's made from. Given the weight of your average modern cloth, probably not. But if you're getting into heavier flannels, tweeds, etc., maybe.

I've a good suit that I've kept even though I've gone down a size since losing some weight, and the jacket fits ok with a moleskin w/coat (heavy napped cotton) underneath it.

franklinpangborn-1.jpg

dbvest3.jpg

dbvest-2.gif

DBVest2.jpg

Some inspiration above. The top image is a young foto of one of my favorite comedy actors Franklin Pangborn. You may recall him as Spanky's photographer in the Little Rascals episode "Wild Poses" released Oct. 28, 1933.
He was also the Hotel manager in "International House" and the bank examiner in "The Bank Dick" for you WC Fields fans. Also Never give a Sucker and Even Break as the producer that Fields is trying to sell an outlandish script.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Creeping Past said:
But if you're getting into heavier flannels, tweeds, etc., maybe.
I can see maybe easing out the chest a touch but going up a size will result in the shoulders being too big. [huh] Personally, most all my jackets, especially those for fall/winter , are cut to accommodate a waistcoat, sweater or sweater vest.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J.J. Gittes said:
If its anything like that belted sport-coat your tailor made a while back(I'm pretty sure it was you :eusa_doh: ) you are in for something great. What kind of material are you having it done in?

Guilty as charged JJ. The fabric is a heavy tweed, light grey with subtle oragnge, mauve and dark blue nubs in it; I don't think they'd show up in a photo though. I purchased it from Trim Fabric on the web.

I picked the suit up today, but, alas, the waistcoat isn't right. The lapels aren't wide enough, the buttons aren't quite right - only three are functioning buttons, the other three are just for show and I think that's why they look like they don't quite line up correctly; and thus the lapels don't sit evenly either. I need to talk to Mario about that tomorrow. The coat and trousers are knock-out, though!

John, you're looking most genteel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace