Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr Martens

Dav

One Too Many
About Dr Martens For Life, I have a pair of the 8-holers in brown and they're worth the extra over the bog standard 1460s- heavier, harder wearing soles and gorgeous soft waxy leather- comfy straight out of the box, and still comfy after pavement-pounding all day. They come with spare laces and a tub of wax which you're meant to rub into them every now and then- definitely built to stay in one piece for a good long while- I've had mine a year and they're holding up very well- I do wonder how destroyed they'd have to be before the factory would send you a new pair though!
I agree, very comfortable from new, here's my pair that I got recently.
0053.jpg

RobT

New in Town
I bought a pair of "Adrian" Tassell loafers last year. They are made in the UK on the original last used in the 70's. Some of the colours in the range are not to my taste though; I bought brown and dyed them black, which worked very well.

I had forgotten just how comfortable Doc Martens are!

mattfink

Practically Family
I remember when they were for skinheads, cops and postal workers....no longer made in the UK? Kind of bulky and not so attractive. Comfortable? Yes, but I'd rather have style!

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
Yes, I wear Dr. Martens almost daily. I have a pair of Oxford like shoes as well as a more boot looking dressy shoe. They are good enough to go with khakis and sport coat and put up with the wintery weather we are having right now.

Lonny

One of the Regulars
doc-marten-union-jack-boots.jpg
Hey guys,

So I got my first pair of Martens this past december for my birthday!
They're 1460 Union Jack boots, my mum got them for me from the Doc Marten online store and they have certainly lived up to their name!
I love them and I have my eyes set on at least 3 different doc marten boots in different colours, they are just so great.
And I get all sorts of compliments on them too haha! :D

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Oh look someones resurrected a docs thread, suppose i'll chime in.
I own three pairs of docs, yes its a bit excessive, but i have two pairs of boots; one purple steal toe and one burgundy pop art pair. The first pair i ever bought were Mary Janes and i've had them for well over 10 years now. Dr. Martens are an amazing work of the gods.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
My problem with Doc Martens is no half sizes, 10s are too tight in the toe area and 11 are too loose especially in the heel area.
I refuse to wear thick or thin socks to make a pair of shoes fit properly.
I should be able to buy a size that fits me feet, it's not like I have odd size feet I've worn a 10 1/2 D since I was 17 and I'm 55 now.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
I own 5 pairs of docs,3 chelsea type,black,dark brown and oxblood and 2 shoes,black and dark brown. though I have plenty of smart dress shoes,churchs,grensons,barkers,jones,trickers,etc, I live in a rural area right by the sea and I have a dog. I'm always taking the dog down the beach or up the woods and churchs oxfords just aren't appropriate so I end up in my docs most of the time.I can do all the rural stuff and still look reasonably smart doing it,and it's a bloody sight more comfortable with an air wear sole. Thinking about it last a damn sight longer too.

svennex

New in Town
My problem with Doc Martens is no half sizes, 10s are too tight in the toe area and 11 are too loose especially in the heel area.
I refuse to wear thick or thin socks to make a pair of shoes fit properly.
I should be able to buy a size that fits me feet, it's not like I have odd size feet I've worn a 10 1/2 D since I was 17 and I'm 55 now.

Weird thing is that in Sweden, they come in half sizes. I found that a size EU 44(or UK 9,5) was the right size for me but when i bought Docs from the UK, there were no size 9,5 and i read everywhere that they dont come in half sizes.

So whats the deal? Is there a special range that you can only get in Scandinavia?

Pompidou

One Too Many
I've had these for a while. They're really comfortable and there aren't any laces to bother with. Only problem seems to be how big they seem compared to other shoes of mine. They sometimes seem like clown shoes. Loose fitting pants masks that some, at least. Big shoes and skinny people don't mix, I guess.
183949_1563775623722_1515318688_31143086_1238337_n.jpg

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Doc Marten's Queen St. Toronto

The new ones that are made in China are terrible. Only buy Docs made in the UK.

+1 - I was in the recently-opened Dr. M's store in Toronto. The stuff is all Chinese made, and the materials seem very insubstantial.

Harry.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I have a pair of Docs that I bought roughly three years ago and they've held up nicely. [Not UK made, China.]

My first pair started to come un-sewn after a short while. When I contacted the company to see what could be done, they basically told me to bug off, they don't repair ripped seams that it wasn't their problem. Yes, they used the phrase "isn't our problem" in the reply email. I wouldn't have bought the second pair if I hadn't found them for such a great deal.

So, long story short I'd never pay full retail for a pair.

Randy

tempus fugit

New in Town
I have a pair of Docs that I bought roughly three years ago and they've held up nicely. [Not UK made, China.]

My first pair started to come un-sewn after a short while. When I contacted the company to see what could be done, they basically told me to bug off, they don't repair ripped seams that it wasn't their problem. Yes, they used the phrase "isn't our problem" in the reply email. I wouldn't have bought the second pair if I hadn't found them for such a great deal.

So, long story short I'd never pay full retail for a pair.

Randy

I've got to agree with you Randy. I went through three pairs and now I say good riddance to Doc Martens. My first two were 10-holes, identical style, one pair black and one pair brown; after about four years, the famous yellow stitches came undone on the toe and the uppers separated from the sole on both pairs within a few months of each other. When I contacted DM, they likewise blew me off with some mumbo jumbo about not restitching the soles. I couldn't find a cobbler in town who would repair Docs, so I ended up pitching them.

My third pair I purchased after explaining my issue with the last two pairs to the clerk, who sold me on a different style which he said didn't get as much wear on the toe stitches. They lasted me about three years before I wore through the soles. I took them to the local cobbler, who said he didn't have the right equipment to resole Docs. Once again I contacted the company, and this time I was told that their boots could not be resoled. Another pair of Docs for the trash.

I now have taken a page out of my Grandfather's book, and wear Red Wing Iron Rangers. They're made in America, classic style, have a lifetime warranty, and will be resoled and reconditioned by the company when they get worn. Sold.

Dav

One Too Many
I agree with you that they are no where as good as Iron Rangers but in their defence Red Wings are about three times the price of Dr Martens in the UK so they should last a lot longer IMO.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Having just received a pair of the Dr Martens For Life boots, do be aware that they tend to run on the large side. I've had to return my size 8s and am now expecting a pair of size 7s tomorrow. The other pairs of DMs I've got are all 8s, and these were an awful lot bigger! Lovely boots, though, looking forward to getting the pair in the right size.

(Oh, and they've got a 15% off promotion in their UK online store at the moment, just FYI.)

PhilD82

New in Town
quick update about my For Life Docs- My old pair of dark brown 8-holers have lasted nearly two years, were very comfortable and saw me though some tough winters. I noticed a few weeks back that I'd worn several holes in the lining around the toes and also the lining around the heels was starting to wear through, though the rest of the boots seemed to be holding up alright. I posted them back to see what I got for £20 plus postage, expecting them to maybe just replace the linings (seeing as they're covered under the warranty) and what do you know, they sent me a lovely brand new pair! (though it seems you don't get the tub of wax or the extra laces with replacement For Lifes, but it seems churlish to complain) I though I'd take a moment to recommend these again!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner