Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing a guy

JennyLou

Practically Family
Hello, I need advice on how to dress my guy. I dress somewhat vintage and I would like to get any advice on how I would create a simple, cheap outfit for my guy to wear if we were to go out. What few pieces would be essential for me to get for him?

Please excuse me if there is already a similar thread on the subject. I did look for one and could not find it.

lagunie

New in Town
tie him up

Go on Ebay and do a search for vintage neckties. You can find really great 40s ties and he can wear it casually without having to do the whole suit thing. A tie is almost one of the first things you see on someone and it screams vintage.:)

Geesie

Practically Family
I'd suggest a hat, but it takes a certain amount of dedication these days to go out for dinner and movies when there's nowhere to put your hat any more.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
We're talking make-over psychology here. The trick is to find stuff for him to wear that will make him feel cool, and start wanting to do it himself. So start off with his own self image. Is it negative or positive? Does he like looking cool, or does it make him feel uncomfortable?
Maybe you could show him some of the guys here on the Lounge that you admire and see how he reacts.
Is he tall, short, slim, stocky?
Also, think in terms of finding clothes that he'll find useful in general, stuff he'll wear regularly, not just as a one time dress up to please you.
Interesting project here. Keep us posted.

JennyLou

Practically Family
he is tall and kind of slim. His regular outfits consist of jeans or cargo pants and t-shirts and even sometimes he'll wear sweats. I always dress in my best when I see him and I'd wish he would do the same. Sometimes I feel overdressed when I'm around him but I know I'm not. I'm just trying to figure out how to convince him to dress up a little for one evening out.

Geesie

Practically Family
First, figure out what you can do to banish the sweats. In the gym, yes. Anywhere else, no.

Maybe a nice shirt/tie set would be a good start?

Also, make plans to go somewhere nice. Tell him that he has to dress accordingly.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Real trousers. Time to grow up, little lad.
If he's slim, pleats aren't necessary, but real trousers are major.
And then a couple of real shirts. And a nice sports jacket to complete it. Don't force a tie on him yet.
And if you do go shirt shopping, make sure it's the exact right fit. A lot of men hate wearing ties because they try to wear them with shirts that have too tight collars. The exact right collar is a must. Measure his neck.
One thing I've learned from Marc Chevalier, among others, is the importance of fit. If he tries on a pair of slacks and a jacket that really fit nicely, and drape properly, his body will get the idea even before his brain does. It just feels nice when clothes drape properly.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
JennyLou said:
Hello, I need advice on how to dress my guy. I dress somewhat vintage and I would like to get any advice on how I would create a simple, cheap outfit for my guy to wear if we were to go out. What few pieces would be essential for me to get for him?

Please excuse me if there is already a similar thread on the subject. I did look for one and could not find it.

If you see men within your own scene who's overall look is appealing to you make a mental note of what they're doing and experiment with those elements.

Take into account how he feels in his new clothes and have some fun with it. We all respond well encouragement and positive reenforcement. Right?

I think a great place to start would be to show him some of the threads here on the FL, like "Show us your Suits" and "What are you wearing today?" This way, he can see how sharp these clothes actually look. Also, I agree with the idea of not springing the tie on him right away. A nice suit even without a tie, can really spruce a guy up and exude class.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Depends on what style you like and what you sort of want for stepping out with, too, if you're the driving force here, no disrespect to him. I mean if you're into '20s there's no point in getting him '50s stuff unless HE really likes it and it doesn't sound like he's more than just easy-going anyway.

I mean I like the sort of "vintage semi-casual" look - flat caps, tweed, gray flannel, etc. And I like steampunk. I don't like zoot suits - if my guy wanted one, cool, but I wouldn't want him to think *I* wanted him to buy a zoot suit.

For your guy, I'd start with seperates, maybe. A blue blazer to go with khaki pants he has? A hat you think looks dashing? And see how he feels. Sport jackets and sweater vests and things like that can also be a bit easier to source new-vintage-style without breaking the bank.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Wow, thanks for all the great advice guys. My ideal situation would be for him to wear a three piece 1930s suit but that will only happen in a dream. I'll probably start out with just a dressy modern look and work my way to a more vintage look.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Does he like your style? Take him with you when you go vintage shopping and gently steer him to the men's clothing. Pull out a shirt and casually tell him you think he would look so cute/handsome/hands down hunk-o' burnin' love (or whatever adjective you think would woo him towards trying on that shirt), and get him to slip it on. If it looks good on, buy it for him. Perhaps through osmosis, your sense of style will trickle over to him.

JennyLou

Practically Family
He likes the retro style on me but I'm still trying to figure out how to get him to dress a bit nicer. thanks for all the advice everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR