Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing dapper while beating the heat

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
I do say . . .

Dixon Cannon said:
4-18-07-69a.jpg

But it is hot, and I look pretty bloody dapper, don't you say?!! :rolleyes:

-dixon cannon

and we're never sick of seeing you.
It is hot and you are indeed dapper DC.lol lol

cookie

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
For decades my mother used to noodge me about getting a pair of huaraches. They were big when she was in college (1937-41) so they're card-carryingly vintage. Never did. But I'm still occasionally tempted.
http://www.huaraches.com/

I hear you but they depend on the leather not stretching too much - like the espadrille problem. You gotta buy 'em tight!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
shindeco said:
This is me from last summer

summerOutfitSmall.jpg

This summer's find is a silk/cotton blend knit T-shirt. I wear it with linen trousers. It's amazingly cool and comfortable (and dressier than the usual T-shirt). It was on sale for ten bucks, too!!

Nice outfit but those black shoes are not the go...:(

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
For decades my mother used to noodge me about getting a pair of huaraches. They were big when she was in college (1937-41) so they're card-carryingly vintage. Never did. But I'm still occasionally tempted.
http://www.huaraches.com/
I bought a pair of huaraches last year in Long Beach. They look great but provide little foot support. I wear them when I am not going to spend all day walking.

Most men's stores carry linen pants.

cookie

I'll Lock Up

Duck

Practically Family
skwerl-hat said:
this is all so informative
if i may ask where does one go to aquire such a snappy pair of linen pants?
My wife bought me a couple of pair of Savane Linen pants at Stein Mart. They are very nice pants, but the Land's End linen pants are a very good deal, since they are on sale.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Duck said:
My wife bought me a couple of pair of Savane Linen pants at Stein Mart. They are very nice pants, but the Land's End linen pants are a very good deal, since they are on sale.

Correct... but even more so their stuff is great in fact the hangars on their jackets are such good quality and design that they have to be worth USD10-15:eusa_clap .

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Most days I wear things that the people I know think I'm crazy to wear. Wool Blend sweaters, wool sport coats, not everything heavy, but Fall season heavy. I can stand the heat because I just ignore weather.

Here's what I'm wearing today. Kind of a 1950s Cuban Caribbean look.
linenoutfit.jpg

The pants are polyester, but the shirt is linen.

Your could wear white or offwhite tennis shoes or brown Converse Chuck Taylors if you don't want to wear dress shoes. It's easier (and cheaper) to put together something like this than it is for a line suit.

For the workplace,

workplaceoutfit.jpg

here's a cotton dress shirt and light wool grey pants. Also cost effective. The fedora is what makes it stand out, though.

shindeco

A-List Customer
cookie said:
Nice outfit but those black shoes are not the go...:(

(Ok, this is really just an excuse to post these great pictures!) In my own defense; dark shoes with light trousers for summer is not without precedent, it was a question of formality:;)

fathersonxh0.jpg

tenniscourtds1.jpg

Check the guy on the very right edge of the picture in this one
summer35lb4.jpg

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I think one observation about it is the shape of his shoes, compared with yours. Also the width of the pants. If one or the other were changed, either with different shoes or wider pants, I think it would look even better.

Pymander

New in Town
Seersucker?

Howdy, folks. I don't think anybody has mentioned seersucker yet. I happily discovered it this summer as I struggled with the boiling heat issue. Seersucker, silk, and linen have gotten me through the summer. And thin socks that I keep wearing out!

Somebody mentioned the Jos A. Bank "Stay Cool" shirts. I don't know what wizardry goes into them, but they really work. Sometimes when I come inside out of the sun, they feel surprisingly cool. Creepy but effective!

P.S. This is my first post...I have been lurking for a while, though! This is a great forum.

Edward

Bartender
It's already been said by a few: LINEN. I'm another of those who hates shorts (I haven't worn a pair since i turned 21; I did wear them on a total of seven days between the ages of 16 and 21, and I bitterly regret every one of those occasions). I've gotten through the warmer patches this summer just fine with a linen suit (more often wearing the jacket as a blazer), panama, and light shirts. I've never tried this idea of an undershirt as a way of keeping cool, seems counter intuitive to my non-scientific mind, but maybe I'll give it a go some day next year. Now that sales are on, I'm on the lookout for a cheap deal on another linen suit maybe, as well as canvas & leather co-respondents / spectators. I have generally not had any problem with natural colour linen day to day (and London can be a dirty place, as anyone who has ever travelled the tube in Summer and then looked under their fingernails can attest), though if you are concerned about practicality, linen suits can be found in many different colours - I've seen everything from cotton blended to 100% linen in black, navy and a mid blue, for instance. As to colours and the sun, traditionally white and light tan colours have been thought of as cooler. I did however read reports in the press a few years ago of an academic study which had concluded that any perceived difference in heat retaining or attracting properties of a garment that were attributed solely to colour were in fact wholly psychosumatic. From my own experience this seems to be true - although I can see how the notion is perpetuated given the much greater frequency of lighter colours in Summer weight garments, and vice versa in Winter weight.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I was wondering...

Pymander said:
Howdy, folks. I don't think anybody has mentioned seersucker yet. I happily discovered it this summer as I struggled with the boiling heat issue. Seersucker, silk, and linen have gotten me through the summer.

...how long it would take for someone to get to that. Seersucker is my go to choice for the summer. The full seersucker suit is a bit much for me. I use the jackets as a blazer. I have blue and brown and have been seeking a green. I found one in Brooks Brothers on clearance and a good fit -- unfortunately the green was a bright lime green. I want the green stripe to be a deeper green.

Check the Avitar!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL