Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for the Holiday / Christmas party season

kyda

One of the Regulars
Ohhh Ladies I have been inspired, I was not planning to get dressed up but now I am. For Christmas day I am going with a white cotton dress with purple and black roses on it with a black belt ( it makes my waist look itty bitty), black peep-toe shoes that have a creamy bow on the front.

Of course the standard red nail polish and make up but the problem is the hair. If I do pin curls they tend to drop out after about a hour and hot sticks well they just do not seem to work that well, but I have not given up and will keep trying!!!!!!!!.

Oh I forgot to mention that the dress is VI and has a built in petticoat.

Inky

One Too Many
alright, the holiday party for the hubby's job has come and gone. The salmon wasn't bad, actually ;)

three pics of how things turned out, fashion-wise (I didn't wear hosiery as it was unseasonably warm at night and I hate wearing them anyway). The handbag, hat, necklace and coat are vintage. The dress and shoes are modern.

I swear I look like my own grandmother (larger pic here)

4199880411_e830aa854e.jpg

The vintage swing coat I purchased last year at a tiny thrift shop for $9.99! it's a very heavy tafetta fabric with tiny ribbons cris-crossed all over it. The lining is the best - clock faces with different city names - and the coat is monogrammed. cuff buttons were missing but I replaced them with two large vintage rhinestone ones. I love wearing this coat and in this case it didn't matter that it was warm! (huge pic here)

4199881135_957c0460d9.jpg

And finally, hair and make up, and sweet velvet cap - (larger pic here)

4199880829_2b8ef3a75f.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
Inky, you look fab. That coat is amazing. I adore Taffeta. :eusa_clap

Goldwyn Girl. Very lovely dress. Picture taking is last on list when having fun at a party. lol :eusa_clap

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I bought a black shirt to go with a pair of black pants I have to wear to my husband's holiday party next month. The shirt isn't vintage at all, but is more "festive". It has little silver dots all over it that make it look sparkly. But the more I think about it, I'm not so sure about wearing it. I'll be nine months pregnant (within a couple weeks of delivery), and am afraid of looking like a giant disco ball. :confused:

I'm enjoying seeing all of the fancy outfits you ladies are coming up with this year. Hopefully I'll be able to dress up more next year.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Inky you look beautiful, I love the vintage pieces in your outfit and the hair looks great!

goldwyn girl, a hot mama as always!

Foofoogal

Banned
am afraid of looking like a giant disco ball.

aw babydoll. I am sure you will look devine. Pregnant women always glow you know. :D
Always beautiful. It is the one thing I like about modern times. Pregnancy is celebrated instead of hidden.
Little silver dots sound fine really. Now big silver dots maybe not so much.
Enjoy the party.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Inky, I'm adding that coat and hat to the list of things I will steal if ever trapped in Inky's closet list! You looked smashing, hair, makeup, perfection.

GGirl, you look like a million in your dress! I liked the dress a lot when you posted it but it looks even better on. And it for sure looks like you were having fun wearing it!

Babydoll, wear the sparkles. Did you hear me? No? Okay then, let me try again, WEAR the sparkles. Like FFGal said, pregnancy is celebrated these days, not hidden. ...and just think, next year's outfit will have the best accessory ever...a baby to hold and love! :D

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
23SkidooWithYou said:
Babydoll, wear the sparkles. Did you hear me? No? Okay then, let me try again, WEAR the sparkles. Like FFGal said, pregnancy is celebrated these days, not hidden. ...and just think, next year's outfit will have the best accessory ever...a baby to hold and love! :D

Thanks for the encouragement, gals. It's hard to find clothes that fit me these days. I look in my closet and see all sorts of things that fit me just a few weeks ago that I can't even begin to get into now. I've not gained any weight being pregnant (gestational diabetes diet is taking care of that), and for the most part people have a hard time telling that I'm as far along as I am. But the clothes still don't fit me. It's a bit depressing. I know that it's for a good cause, but I'm not used to my body expanding like this, and in strange places!

I found a pair of black satiny finish maternity pants yesterday that fit more comfortably in my belly than the pair I was going to wear with the Disco Ball Top. Now to work up my nerve to be sparkly on the top, and shiny on the bottom. lol

(Due in less than eight weeks, party is in four..... I also teased my husband about what if my water breaks at the party. It'll be the first time I'm meeting his Big Boss. Wouldn't that leave a lasting impression?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran