Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing up

Do you wear tru vintage style?

• Yes, every day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only now and again - with friends, reenactors

• Only single items, hats, jackets etc

• Never

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
patrick1987 said:
:eek: abda abda abda abda

Not a bordello :rolleyes: , a strip joint.

When one wants to go watch nekkid women (the Southern girls can describe the distinction) in Anchorage one goes to the World Famous "Bush Company".

Or, as we who must remain descreet lest we sleep on the couch call it, the "South Anchorage Cash Ballet". :D

Nashoba

One Too Many
carebear said:
Not a bordello :rolleyes: , a strip joint.

When one wants to go watch nekkid women (the Southern girls can describe the distinction) in Anchorage one goes to the World Famous "Bush Company".

Or, as we who must remain descreet lest we sleep on the couch call it, the "South Anchorage Cash Ballet". :D

I've heard some less creative terms for them too none of which are suitable for our austere surroundings here in the lounge

matei

One Too Many
I usually make the effort to dress well every day. I dress more "vintage inspired", rather than strict vintage.

Most of my vintage items are hats and ties. I own one late '50s suit which I haven't actually tried on yet! My daily wear suits are vintage inspired. I tried to have my tailor recreate certain designs.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I usually do my hair in a vintage style (either 40's, 50's or 60's) without fail (unless I leave my hair wavy, like in my avatar), and I usually incorporate at least one vintage piece (or at the very least, vintage-inspired or repro) into my outfit everyday.

I usually wear a pair of vintage style jeans (not high-waisted unfortunately, I'm saving up for a pair from My Baby Jo's), a vintage blouse, maybe a vintage cardigan, and a pair of vintage-looking keds.

Though I don't go all out, people understand the style I have and look I'm going for.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
My heritage gives me a traditional costume that is still very much in use today. I have started going out for private occasions in kimonos as often as I can. None of my kimonos are vintage, so to speak, but I have a few that I have had for over 30 years, which I can still, and do, wear.
For work, I dress conservatively in modern clothes.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I usually only wear a few items of vintage;tie,trousers,eyeglasses. The rest are modern,but in the (hopefully) timeless fashion that I think of as being vintage. My goal is to eventually have a completely vintage wardrobe which I will wear everyday. The only exceptions would be hats (I just don't believe there is such a thing as a 7 3/4 L.O. fedora that's vintage. Haven't found or heard of one yet) and underwear.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I wear mostly vintage or- not vintage but could pass to the untrained eye most every day. Hat every day. Vintage tie more days than not. Vintagey shoes.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I used to wear a lot more than i do now. When i was really young i wore quite a bit, but none of my friends were into it and i gradually got tired of being reminded of how weird i was. Now that i am a big girl, i really don't give a rat's @#% about whether others find me weird or not and i am rediscovering my passion for vintage . eventually i will pretty much get rid of all my modern clothes altogether.:p

lindylady

A-List Customer
olive bleu said:
I used to wear a lot more than i do now. When i was really young i wore quite a bit, but none of my friends were into it and i gradually got tired of being reminded of how weird i was. Now that i am a big girl, i really don't give a rat's @#% about whether others find me weird or not and i am rediscovering my passion for vintage . eventually i will pretty much get rid of all my modern clothes altogether.:p

That's the right attitude! :eusa_clap

I'm also trying to clear my closet of modern "fashion". While my height keeps me from ever being able to wear all vintage (5'11"), I do enjoy recreating the look with vintage reproductions or vintage-inspired pieces.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
During the week I wear my "work-uniorm", at the weekend I doll up. But since I know I will have to get a new ob in 2008 I have started to collect vinage and vintage-inspired pieces for everyday wear. By 2008 I should be complete enough to wear vintage and vintage inspired every day! :)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RetroModelSari said:
During the week I wear my "work-uniorm", at the weekend I doll up. But since I know I will have to get a new ob in 2008 I have started to collect vinage and vintage-inspired pieces for everyday wear. By 2008 I should be complete enough to wear vintage and vintage inspired every day! :)

What's the new "ob"? :D

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I don't wear actual vintage clothes, since I have a similar feeling about them to Hemingway Jones, but tend to go for a classic look, with more vintage-looking items if I'm doing anything PR related. Thanks to some lovely work courtesy of Indy Magnoli, the next shoot should be missing only the sepia if I can get my photographer on side...

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I am leaning more towards dressing vintagesque every day, at least for work. Not really true vintage since I don't own enough! But I often have my hair in a snood or rolls, and I wear my high waisted trousers or my vintage wool skirt to work pretty much every day, with modern button up shirts. I'm rockabilly if I'm not strictly "vintage" as my hair is in a ponytail with a pomp, capri pants and flat shoes etc. I have a large array of round-neck cardigans that I wear with everything. I hope over the years I'll get more vintage. But I still like dressing rockabilly. Especially since my boyfriend is strictly rockabilly and I like to match him.

Renee

Familiar Face
I don't wear vintage clothing. I simply don't like to shop enough to make looking for the good stuff worthwhile, I'm not interested in "period dressing", and I appreciate the ease of many modern fabrics. Additionally, quite a few years ago I bought a few vintage clothing pieces that looked lovely and fit, but they were "secret stinkers". You know, the clothes that pass the B.O. sniff test at the store and have no suspicious discoloration, but as soon as you wear them and they begin to heat up someone else's nasty funk begins to emanate from under your arms. :eek: Ick.

I do like to use the Golden Era fashions for inspiration, though, and I like older jewelry (I've bought a few really nice pieces, and have inherited some others). I think of my fashion style as Timeless Classic, with a bit of a vintage twist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy