Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

StraightEight said:
Played wedding chauffeur this weekend. I don't know these people; they approached me at a car show a couple of months ago. Money was offered, but it was just a few miles from the house so I did it to be neighborly. Now, to get those heel marks off the ceiling...
P1010352.jpg

P1010358.jpg

She's a beauty and the bride is pretty too. I have seen this car in person it's just a dandy. I have Buick envy!

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Rats Riley said:
Now all jokes aside, I have to say that what you did for those newly weds is very VERY cool and selfless! At the very least, you gave them something they'll always remember!

And since you're giving things away.... how about the pink slip for that sweet sled of a car!

Just look at the chrome!!!

Pink slips are always eminently transferable. At some point in the none too distant future the Buick will go on to its next caretaker. By the way, the front and rear bumpers and door handles are the only major chrome parts. The rest is stainless.

Story

I'll Lock Up
IN a world of interactive, Imax-enhanced, iPod-guided automotive museums, the relatively modest historical collection here may hardly seem worth a visit. But America’s Packard Museum on Ludlow Street is something different, and decidedly worthwhile: it is not a re-creation, but an authentic artifact of the history of the Packard Motor Car Company.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/automobiles/collectibles/10PACKARD.html?_r=1&hpw

PACK-2-articleLarge.jpg

p71towny

Familiar Face
As much as I love restored originals I also like performance. I like upgrades that help performance, safety and longevity of the vehicle. As long as I can swap it back to stock, I'll modify without too much hacking. I like it to look stock, but drive waaay better than new.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I just wonder, does anyone make cars that are the same style as 30's or 40's, but with modern engines, brakes etc.
Because that would be super.

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
I just wonder, does anyone make cars that are the same style as 30's or 40's, but with modern engines, brakes etc.

'60s muscle cars, yes. You can buy brand new '68 Mustang body shells, put whatever engine in it you like. This is the only one that I know of from the 30s, a replica of a Talbot-Lago, very expensive. I'm not sure they're even building cars anymore. It was one guy with one shop.

http://www.tlccar.com/talbo.htm

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
You could go for a good used Excalibur, if you can find one. Built as both a Phaeton and coupe w/rumble seat....Hand-built in Milwaukee, with Corvette running gear (can always find parts). styled along the lines of pre-war Mercedes. Some love them, some think it was just a style gimmick. But many custom auto companies use existing and proven running gear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_(automobile)

normanpitkin

One of the Regulars
Lovely!Interior shots please...oh ,and you better have a suicide knob!Not only that ,why not get the rear window blinds ,so expensive but so cool!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab

As Fly Boy's response indicates, there are loads of reproduction bodies and frames out there that are designed to be fitted with modern running gear for a new/old experience. Fiberglass '32 Ford bodies have been around since the '70s at least, and Model T bodies since the early 1960s.

Obviously these are aimed at wouldbe hot rodders and street rodders, but it's not hard to envision a build that takes a resto-type approach. I've often thought that one of the '41 Willys bodies that are designed to bolt to a Chevrolet S-10 truck frame would make a good daily driver done up with 1941-style parts.

-Dave

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
As Fly Boy's response indicates, there are loads of reproduction bodies and frames out there that are designed to be fitted with modern running gear for a new/old experience. Fiberglass '32 Ford bodies have been around since the '70s at least, and Model T bodies since the early 1960s.

Obviously these are aimed at wouldbe hot rodders and street rodders, but it's not hard to envision a build that takes a resto-type approach. I've often thought that one of the '41 Willys bodies that are designed to bolt to a Chevrolet S-10 truck frame would make a good daily driver done up with 1941-style parts.

-Dave

That would be quality. How well does fibreglass hold up for general wear and tear?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
That would be quality. How well does fibreglass hold up for general wear and tear?

The only fiberglass bodies with which I have direct experience are C3 Corvettes, which are great, but also benefit from about twenty years of General Motors engineering development, but my secondary information indicates that aftermarket bodies vary by manufacturer. Wescott bodies have a real good reputation, while some of the fly-by-night operations produce stuff that is prone to flexing and cracking.

To me, in Michigan, the best thing about a ‘glass body is that it’s immune to road-salt induced rusting.

If one really wanted the “real” thing, one could get a ’30, ’31, or ’32 Ford body stamped out of steel by Brookville Roadster. Despite the company name, they produce both Model A roadsters and roadster pickups; and ’32 roadsters, roadster pickups, and coupes.

-Dave

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
My brother when he was a teenager had a 67 Plymouth Sport Fury he didn't drive much. But I LOVED driving that car. It MOVED!! But kinda scary too cause it was so huge. If I get another old car, that's one I would love to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran