Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duke of Windsor - at it again! Duke of Windsor plotted to regain throne

Tiller

Practically Family
Stearmen said:
The Prince was way to chummy with Hitler, and Churchill knew it! The divorced American was the least of the troubles. Even after war was declared the Duke was spotted talking to known Nazi spay's. The UK spent a lot of money trying to keep him quiet during the war!

I agree. I don't know how well it would have worked out for the UK had he remained King in the long run. Then again the Japanese Emperor survived and visited America without much negative side affects for the nation, so maybe it wouldn't of been a big deal in the long run.

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
The fundamental problem presented by the marriage to Mrs. Simpson was not that she was a commoner, nor that she was an American. The problem was her divorce.

The Monarch is the head of the Church of England. In those days, the Church of England did not recognize divorce. Hence, under Church law, the marriage to Edward VIII would not have been legal since Mrs. Simpson was already married (again in the eyes of the Church) to two other men.

The problem Edward faced is no different from the problem a Church of England priest or bishop would have faced during the '30's. If a priest or bishop wanted to marry a divorced woman, he would have to leave the Church.

It seems odd to us today when divorce is more common and most religious denominations, including the Church of England, now recognize divorce. But that was the way it was then.

Stanley Baldwin and the government were involved because the marriage of the Monarch is a state matter. As Mel Brooks famously said, "It's good to be the King," but a monarch is subject to restrictions that don't apply to the rest of us.

George V had little confidence in his oldest son. He predicted that Edward would never be King. That proved to be pretty close to the mark.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Perhaps the playboy "Little Prince" didn't want to be King, and viewed marrying Wallace as a perfect opportunity, to get out of his Duties?, he could never confess this to Wallace, as she was aching to be Married to the King of England""

windsorsocietyissue17cover.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
"Perhaps the playboy "Little Prince" didn't want to be King, and viewed marrying Wallace as a perfect opportunity, to get out of his Duties?, he could never confess this to Wallace, as she was aching to be Married to the King of England""

From what I understand, in his latter wears he realized what he had given up, and resented her for his actions! If you look at that photo, you can see a very unhappy man!

Richard Warren

Practically Family
The Bolsheviks also knew what to do with Mensheviks, Trotskyites, Kulaks, Jews and for that matter Christians. At least Cromwell to my knowledge did not murder Charles' family.

Most of the bad mouthing of the Duke seems to me to be innuendo from suspect sources with obvious motives. Even the article that prompted this post does not provide evidence of what it asserts.

If you want to see an unhappy man, look at picture of the current prince.

I dig those shoes. Where can iI get some?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm curious as to the whereabouts of Richard Warren on January 26, 1994.....

[YOUTUBE]XF5wrFJp9Jo[/YOUTUBE]

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chas said:
Isn't Charles the one who wanted to be reincarnated as a tampon?

That be the one... In 100 years, give or take, we've gone from Queen Victoria & all of the good manners & chivalry (and inherent stodginess and inhibitions) to where the first in line to the throne is expressing his desire to become a feminine hygiene product for his mistress. Queen Victoria would've said "We are not amused." I think we'd all say "We are all rather grossed out."

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Yeah, those comments are good manners, classy an' royal...:rolleyes:
His son should be interested in the WWII thread.
Mr. Victoria was Prince Albert b.t.w. Google that one sometime.;)
prince_charles1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy