Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dust Bowl history

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
If you have the chance to watch Black Blizzard on the History Channel, I highly suggest you do so. Two hour program on the Dust Bowl storms of the 1930s. Lots of archival footage and recreations.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I watched this tonight. It was very informative.
It made me realize no matter how bad things may seem now, things used to be worse and we managed to find a way through.
I too would recommend this program to those who haven't seen it.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I believe I watched this program sophomore year of high school. Is there a clip of film that shows men rounding up rabbits and then clubbing them to death?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
maggiethespy said:
I believe I watched this program sophomore year of high school. Is there a clip of film that shows men rounding up rabbits and then clubbing them to death?
Yes and it was horrible!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
KY Gentleman said:
Yes and it was horrible!

I remember some of my female classmates started crying, but I just kept laughing. It wasn't because I thought it was funny-- it was because I was so horrified, that was the only reaction I could muster.

What really got to me was the survivors talking about siblings they lost to illness caused by the dust. There was one lady in particular that told such a sad story about her baby brother.

It really is a wonderful documentary of the times.

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
One of the folks from that program, Timothy Egan, wrote a great book on the subject called "The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl ". I think it's well worth the read and would reccomend it to anyone who is into dust bowl history.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never knew the storms made it all the way to NY. Between that and the Depression, people must have thought it was the End Of Days.

flat-top said:
I never knew the storms made it all the way to NY. Between that and the Depression, people must have thought it was the End Of Days.

A few years back, China was experiencing dust storms in the central arid regions that blew dust all the way to Japan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner