Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dyed Vanson Jacket Black

matchankh

One of the Regulars
I use URAD instead of these but ou certainly could.

Urad for a shine, their other product Tenderly produces more of a matte finish. I also use Blackrock to get a waxy CXL look.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to these products at where Im located. Mainly fiebing’s stuff is available. Seems like tan kote and resolene are quite similar and should work I guess

Yango

One of the Regulars
Looks nice! @jglf

Is there any black residue if you rub the jacket on anything white? I ask because, a few years back I dyed a dark brown motorcycle jacket black, and for good year anything light coloured that came into contact with the jacket ended up with black dye on it. Not too long after I did the dye job, I flew to Paris wearing a white shirt under the jacket. After wearing and carrying the jacket over my shoulder and in my arms, I looked like I’d been working in a coal mine. Not fun. And as of today the jacket is back to dark brown again.

I might give it another try if your process is stable.

Last edited:

Chainy75

New in Town
I purchased some feibings pro black oil dye a couple of weeks ago. The intention was to touch up certain areas of my Sam walker jacket. I found it to have a very blue/violet shade to it that looked nothing like the deep black original finish. I was left disappointed as I didn't want to dye the entire jacket. Especially now after finding out it's not a deep black.

jglf

A-List Customer
I’ve read that the USMC black has more brown undertones while the pro dye has more blue. I definitely won’t be sitting in any white chairs for awhile, just like I wouldn’t with new dark indigo jeans.

Chainy75

New in Town
That's the problem. USMC is definitely a deeper black but never stops rubbing off. The pro die stays fast but blue/purple undertones :(

jglf

A-List Customer
I might try the pro dye next time. Thinking about dyeing a medium brown jacket to dark brown.

“Bison” used to be a very dark brown that looked great, but the newer labeled ones seem to be a lighter mid-brown color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana