Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dying and “waxing” a suede jacket

music321

New in Town
Does anyone have experience dying suede jackets?

I’m trying to dye an oatmeal-colored suede jacket cordovan. Additionally, I want the jacket to have a waxed look, only not as “waxy”.

I’m thinking of using Angelus, Terrago, or Fiebing’s dye. I’d use 3 or 4 coats.

Then, I’m thinking I’ll spray the jacket down with Retayne, or another dye fixer (any suggestions?)

Next, I’ll have it dry cleaned to remove unfixed dye.

Finally, I’d like to use Pecards leather dressing to mat down the nap.

I can imagine the pecards potentially dissolving some of the dye. I don’t know if this is a legitimate concern or not.

How does this plan sound?

Thanks.

I'm no expert on suede or hides...but sounds kind of disastrous to me. Kinda the wrong side of the hide to hand dye..and make uniformally waxy considering the natural suede nap...and even use Pecards on...isn't it?
HD

Panacheman

Familiar Face
With my admitted somewhat limited and in general disastrous efforts at home dying I'd say this sounds like a plan to turn an oatmeal jacket into a blotchy reddish mess. The pecards sound like an interesting way to get a waxy worn look to a suede jacket. If you really can't live with the jacket the way it is and dont mind possibly ruining it my advice is to learn from my mistake and skip the hand dying and try hitting that bad boy with some sort of leather treatment that preferably is in a solid state rather then liquid for ease of application and be prepared to use a lot of product and elbow grease to get an even appearance. To me a waxy look oatmeal jacket sounds pretty stylish then again as is it may have some charm of it's own what sort of cut is it.

I am not sure but having it dry cleaned to remove the excess dye may lead the dry cleaner owner to sue you. Possibly the cleaning fluid will be choked with dye and set up ruining other people clothes as the color gets deposited on their items during dry cleaning runs with or after your jacket.

A cobbler shoe repair guy might have insights on dyeing suede. If not see if there are any leather experts nearby. Maybe the Tandy people might have some ideas. I know that there were specific leather dyes for shoes but not sure on suede.

music321

New in Town
thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'm glad to be warned of the possibility of getting sued by the cleaners.

I'm not looking for the color to be entirely even, or for the nap to be either. I like the idea of a mildly variegated color.

I once used leather conditioner without wax (I forget the brand) on suede, and the result was great. It darkened it a few shades, and more or less uniformly flattened the nap. Afterwards, I sprayed it with wilson's suede and leather protector. I couldn't have been happier. I didn't dye it, though.

I guess I want to try something new by using the pecards. I think it will have a much "rougher" look to it this way, and provide a counterbalance to a snappy shirt with a silk tie.

Maybe I'll try this on a piece of scrap suede first...

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Fiebings do a dye which is called roughout and suede so they see it as plausible for a person to do at home.

Send it too a dye cleaner and it would ruin everything else cleaned with it and you would be in for it I would have thought.

I have messed around with barbour wax on the back (suede side) of top grain leather to see what happens and it looks a mess but get a good heat source on it and it "dryed" into the knap leaving it just a bit waxy but waterproof. By heatsource I meant I was using my halogen desk lamp to do just a little bit to see what would happen but to do a jacket a hot hair drier or electric paint stripper kept not too close and played over ther surface, not left in one spot too long should work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR