Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early Art Deco Radio Lamp.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Found this late 20s deco radio lamp today at an antique shop. Cast metal and with an original slag glass shade.

Check it out:

radiolamp2.jpg

Oooooh, Awwwww...
radiolamp.jpg

Now on top of the '29 Crosley in it's natural habitat. :D
radiolamponcrosley.jpg

Let's make this a Radio Lamp thread... No TV lamps... just Radio Lamps please!:D

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
What a GREAT find! Hope you were able to buy it "right;" but, one way or the other, it's a wonderful thing and has obviously gone to the right home.

"Skeet"

Foofoogal

Banned
Swoon, swoon, swoon.

Art Deco like this just makes me feel so much better about my day. Eye candy for the soul. It is all just gorgeous. :eusa_clap

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
"This is my "Silhouette Lamp" I have broken the glass several times over the years, and then decided to replace it with white perspex, which looks as good, but is so much more practical, I don't have a console radio, it sits on my bedside."

4677057108_21320df9dc_b.jpg

Sounds like you're a violent sleeper... lol You throw deco lamps in your sleep?

Mine has the original slag glass shade... I'd be heart broken if it ever broke. :cry:

Man, seein' some swell Radio Lamps here... just beautiful stuff!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There are so many of these on Ebay all the time. They vary drastically in quality and condition, not to mention price. But the variety in design always amazes me. One of these lamps has been on my wish list for a LONG time. Thanks so much for sharing, everybody.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
"The Hunter" radio lamp

Very cool radio lamps ForgottenMan, et al.

Like dhermann1, a radio lamp was on my wish list for a long time. I finally got this one (named "The Hunter") through a local live auction in April of this year.

It's made of some form of light cast metal that's finished to look aged.
I discovered that the type of frosted glass light globe on top has been nicknamed the "Brain Globe" by lighting dealers, of course due to its appearance.

The lamp is currently sitting on top of my c.1931 Rogers-Majestic (model R741) radio. This radio had it's legs shortened at some point in its life, I intend to add new legs when I refinish it. Another project on my long list... :eusa_doh:

4679847019_3141c33196.jpg

4680472744_6ac126d711_b.jpg

4680468430_7a0b4a085a.jpg
4679828691_19733cff33.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Swell lamp! I've never seen that one before... and that's a really neat radio! Good luck in re-placing the legs... I guess if you know a good wood turner and have a few good images of how they are to look, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Keep them lamps comin'! I'm enjoying this!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Thanks, ForgottenMan. Several radio lamp designs were produced like this up here in Canada. There was another similar lamp at the same auction with sculpted boys and dolphins, but I passed on it because the globe had been shattered.

I put a freeze on buying console radios as I've run our of room. Of course, just as I did that, this one came along ... and I just had to have it. The reason? It's the exact same radio featured in old promotional photographs for the 1920s Beatty vacuum cleaner I own.

But, I won't go further because that's info for the vacuum cleaner thread, which you also started... At least I have a few good photos of what the legs on the radio were like before they were cut.

3659390181_100fd8bc2d_o.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
I've a real weakness for Deco radio lamps and have several of them (not sure how many because a lot of our stuff is still packed from the last couple of moves). Here are two that we have in current use:

Lamp_GazelleCR.jpg

Lamp_FrostyLady1cr.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
These are all stunning! I get the impression that their purpose is a bit mystifying for some dealers, as they seem to show up a bit with a "nightlight" description.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I didn't know there was such a thing as "radio lamps" (or TV lamps either, for that matter)....I love learning new things about my favorite era! These are all so lovely, some almost look like hood ornaments on fancy cars.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, here’s something that may shed some light onto the radio lamp or TV lamp thing.

In the 20s when radio was huge, so was electricity… it was still some what new and those who had money to own a nice floor model radio would feel it necessary to adorn the top of their set with a unique piece of art. Well, that’s where the lighting industry stepped in. Manufacturers figured it a smart choice to aim a special kind of small artistic lamp that would be perfect to glow on top of a radio. Radio became the center piece of a room, and when it was operating, people would sit around it and listen… and with a smart little lamp to crown its glory, it caught on.

It lasted into the post war era… when TV started to find it’s way into homes, they started making kitschy porcelain lamps that resembled animals or other forms some times with a planter… but, with a small light bulb behind it or inside to emit some light. In fact, they had a total ad campaign that pushed the TV lamp to be good for your eyes… ever hear your mother tell you that watching TV in the dark is bad for your eyes? Well, that goes way back… and so these lamps were marketed as soft little lamps to ad just enough light to reduce the strain on your eyes while watching TV.

Radio lamps are my favorite… they mostly were Art Deco but, others could be on the novelty/corny style… but, they make a nice touch to the top of most floor model radios of the pre-war era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass