Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Easing my partner into vintage?

CorpusVile

New in Town
As you can see, I'm very new! First post and all, I'm a little nervous :)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not, sorry!

I'm new-ish to vintage dressing also, and tend to gravitate towards the 40s-50s. My question is, how would I (slowly and gently) introduce vintage clothes to my boyfriend? To wear, that is.

His everyday wear (apart from work, he's a locksmith) is dark jeans and either a printed t-shirt (no horrible one-liners, crudeness or anything like that) or a buttoned, collared shirt. He also wants to get a leather jacked, so I may be able to squeeze a greaser type look out of him. =)

I absolutely don't want to force anything, but I know he already likes the kinds of things I'm wearing, and he's very open minded. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

UmmBatul

New in Town
I'd also be interested in what the men have to say about this. I'm not so much interested in my husband wearing vintage as I am in his dressing "better" overall.

I consider myself lucky that after almost 6 years of marriage, I've gotten my husband from t-shirts to polo shirts...and that he owns a pair of chinos. His typical get-up is a polo shirt, relaxed fit jeans and adidas shoes in the summer/brown leather boots in the winter.

I refuse to belittle him or try to force him into anything he doesn't want to do, so I figure it'll be another 6 years until I get the result for which I'm hoping (a business casual look--chinos, dress shirt, sweater, loafers, maybe a casual blazer).

He has a couple of nice tailored suits that he wears on special occasions, but otherwise it's always the same thing.

I've found that praising him a lot helps. If we're shopping around, it sometimes helps to pick something out for him and ask him to try it on--and really go to it with the praising and flattering. He might not get it, but he does keep in mind what I like when he shops... It's all a matter of time, I guess.

4and1

One of the Regulars
If he's considering a leather jacket, well, that's a place to start. Look in the 'outerwear' forum for ideas. Other than that, a good looking fedora and a sportcoat would look good with you on it's arm. It's all downhill from there.

4and1

One of the Regulars
UB... Some gray flannel trousers, pleated, cuffed, and creased, will look much better than jeans. After wearing them awhile, he will likely find going back to jeans uncomfortable.

Flannel because it is wrinkle resistant.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
CorpusVile said:
As you can see, I'm very new! First post and all, I'm a little nervous :)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not, sorry!

I'm new-ish to vintage dressing also, and tend to gravitate towards the 40s-50s. My question is, how would I (slowly and gently) introduce vintage clothes to my boyfriend? To wear, that is.

His everyday wear (apart from work, he's a locksmith) is dark jeans and either a printed t-shirt (no horrible one-liners, crudeness or anything like that) or a buttoned, collared shirt. He also wants to get a leather jacked, so I may be able to squeeze a greaser type look out of him. =)

I absolutely don't want to force anything, but I know he already likes the kinds of things I'm wearing, and he's very open minded. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

"As you are in Australia why not take him to "Rodd & Gun" or "Country Roads" and go for a classic look at first, rather than buy him a pair of Knickerbockers and a Monocle!, whats his hair like? if he is sporting dreadlocks or a "Troll Doll" hairdo it's not going to work" Good luck!!

Tiller

Practically Family
Remember it may depends how dedicated he is to his current fashion. I know if my gf tried to stop me from wearing vintage, and start wearing jeans and a t-shirt I would be single :p.

With that said if he already likes your style, I'd just take it slow as others have suggested, and allow him to discover what parts of the vintage style that he likes himself.

Edward

Bartender
A greaser look is probably the easiest thing to begin with; tbh, I think it's a gateway into vintage for a lot of folks. (Plus, if that's what his hair is like, it wouldn't take much to grow out the fring to a quiffable length. From there, should it later be desired, a forties style cut is an easy place to go). If he's happy with a relaxed fit in jeans, try getting him into some with a classic, fifties-style cut - I highly recommend Prison Blues (www.prisonblues.com) - order them a size too long, and cuff them. Then some fifties cut shirts - western shirts (some of the toned-down ones can have a really sharp rockabilly look, more Elvis than Gene Autry), or maybe bowling shirts you'll have some luck with. A Brando-style leather jacket would work well with this, or failing that, something more 'flexible' - shirt collar-style, with a zip up the middle. Best range of high-quality while still reasonably civilian jackets I've seen are from Aero ( www.aeroleatherclothing.com ). Perhaps a cheaper, mall-style cowhide Brando (you can pick up reasonable ones that are plenty wearable for under USD100 - I've had one since 2002 that has served me well), and a more expensive Aero, like a Highwayman or a Fifties Halfbelt? Also, a Harrington jacket or two in basic colours (black, navy) would be a good option. Baracutas tend to be epensive, but there are plenty of more affordable alternatives if you're not too fussed about making sure the sleeves are raglan. Great for the warmer months (I have several which get worn a lot from May through to September), a nice alternative to leather, and very flexible - I've worn mine with collar and tie, and trousers (a la Sinatra), or T shirt and jeans (a la Jimmy Dean). As a bonus, since that style of jacket has been around since 1937 and has been popular at some point in every decade since, they're great for a whole bunch of period looks, IMO.

From there, the next step is to go towards having some fifties style threads for more dressed-up occasions. Actual trousers and flecked sportscoats for nights out at a rockabilly gig, club or whatever, maybe a suit or two. Keep an eye on eBay; Fifties stuff in sensible sizes tends to turn up more often (at least here in the UK) than forties or thirties, and (although still ridiculously limited as compared to what is available for the ladies) the range of reproduction fifties-wear for men is much better than you tend to find for 30s and 40s. Also, I find a lot of large department stores - especially the "old man" places like Marks and Spencer - tend to have a fair few Chino type trousrs with a sufficiently high waist and wide leg cut to pass for early fifties, with the right outfit otherwise. A lot of the reproduction stuff leans more towards Western wear or stage wear than business wear, but even so I think with careful selection it is still possible to find bits that will work in a more conservative look.

After that, if he gets into 40s or whatever, great, but if not, the fifties had a lot of great looks too. (you might laugh, but I find a lot of pictures of a young Elvis, even on stage, have a lot of great looks that would be very much at home in many conservative circumstances today).

The other thing I would suggest, if you don't do it already and if it'd be his thing is.... get out on the retro scene - clubs, cabaret, burlesque, gigs.... whatever you and he might be into. For what it may be worth, it seems to me that getting into a retro scene is very often what inspires a lot of people to get into the clothes.

CorpusVile

New in Town
Gosh, everyone here is just so helpful =)

He hasn't outright said "I want to wear this," but I've noticed him paying attention over my shoulder when I'm looking at old pictures/vintage clothes, and a few times, he's asked me to scroll back up to see what the men were wearing =P

Oh, please don't get the wrong idea. I'm absolutely over the moon that he accepts my "quirks", so to speak, and I'm not going to push anything he doesn't want. If he hadn't shown that little bit of interest and acceptance already I wouldn't bother! =)

Another thing he tends to do, which makes me feel a little more comfortable with this, is he'll see me after work, when I've gotten dressed and ready for him to come home, and he'll tell me, sincerely, how pretty etc. I look and then sort of preen himself a little bit. You know, straighten the shirt, fingers through the hair. As though HE wants to look nicer. So, fingers crossed!

sproily

Practically Family
Well I fell in to the world of vintage much because of my girlfriend.

She was in to 50's when we met and I hadn't cast an eye on my own clothing a bit before that.

I was looking for a new pair of trousers and we began a search together. Thats when I got the spark.

I just woke up, and since she was kind of into the vintage scene I slowly eased myself. I first looked at the men's 50's stuff and found some nice stuff, like suspenders and flannel trousers. I liked the 50's "dad" look, but not that much the rockabilly/greaser stuff.

One thing I really loved was bowties. Bowties bowties bowties. I refused to wear a tie because I was so in love with bowties. Of course those that you tie yourself. I rationalize that it was because it was rare and it made me feel unique.

Pretty soon after that I just went back in time a lot. Having been interested in the 1920's and 1930's I fell in love with that era. Art Deco and industrial design of that era, cars, everything. Now I discovered what was hidden from me on that era.. clothing! I felt right at home!

I'll have to say that I had the gas but she gave me the ignition. A real spark which I don't know when I would have gotten if I hadn't met her. After I really got excited she got as well. It's really funny how she got me in to it, and later I was the one who got her in to it even more and more deeply.

At the moment I probably have more clothes and outfits than my girlfriend, so yeah! I really got quite a kick! Also because when I get in to something, I really do, that's pretty much how I am. Full speed ahead!

Inky

One Too Many
I couldn't describe the options any better than the gents before me have, especially Edward, whose taste I admire very much.

That being said, be careful what you wish for ;) My love of vintage has been on and off since I was 17 or so - I am 50 this year. My husband (who is in his mid 30's) had no particular interest, but he did like my taste in 40's big band and early rock and roll music, and of course loved the way I dressed/looked. I took him to a see a show a few times or car shows, and he would always comment about this guy's look or that look. When we'd shop I noticed he stopped buying t-shirts and started looking at the lounge/bowling shirt style (shirts with collar and buttons - what a start!).

Then came the hair....honey, could I do a pompadour you think?...then it was rolled up dungarees - george cox brothel creepers...a late 50's leather motorcycle jacket....black and white spectators for swing dancing....his first pair of very wide legged trousers..zoot suit pants from el pachuco....NOW I'VE CREATED A MONSTER!! :eek:

It's all about what pomade gets the best result - monthly barber trips - safety razors and having me make him shirts from vintage patterns we find.

i don't think he'll ever be the suit and fedora type - but I can always hope - just remember - be careful what you wish for :)

sproily

Practically Family
Inky said:
I couldn't describe the options any better than the gents before me have, especially Edward, whose taste I admire very much.

That being said, be careful what you wish for ;) My love of vintage has been on and off since I was 17 or so - I am 50 this year. My husband (who is in his mid 30's) had no particular interest, but he did like my taste in 40's big band and early rock and roll music, and of course loved the way I dressed/looked. I took him to a see a show a few times or car shows, and he would always comment about this guy's look or that look. When we'd shop I noticed he stopped buying t-shirts and started looking at the lounge/bowling shirt style (shirts with collar and buttons - what a start!).

Then came the hair....honey, could I do a pompadour you think?...then it was rolled up dungarees - george cox brothel creepers...a late 50's leather motorcycle jacket....black and white spectators for swing dancing....his first pair of very wide legged trousers..zoot suit pants from el pachuco....NOW I'VE CREATED A MONSTER!! :eek:

It's all about what pomade gets the best result - monthly barber trips - safety razors and having me make him shirts from vintage patterns we find.

i don't think he'll ever be the suit and fedora type - but I can always hope - just remember - be careful what you wish for :)

I think me and my girlfriend would agree. I really am worse or atleast as worse as she is. You could say she created a monster lol

sproily

Practically Family
Yeah. I wouldn't trade it off.

The thing is, I began from scratch, since I hadn't thought about clothes, this was the first time that I really did. So I don't think she made me do anything, she just gave me the spark.

I really wouldn't like to be said what to do and I think I'm quite good at resisting such.

It's a new world I got to explore and I wouldn't trade it for anything now lol

My girlfriend is more to the 40's and 50's while I am more 20's and 30's. It works out just fine and It's not like I dress for her. I dress for myself. But basically it's just the aesthetics that do it for me in the 20's and 30's while my girlfriends wonderful curvaceous (read: hourglass) body is best fit for the 40's and 50's.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward's advice is most excellent.

With my partner, she has a conscious dislike of subcultures, scenes, and snobbery. She does like many of the aspects of "being a vintage person": for example she thinks film noir is fantastic. She is old fashioned in her views about propriety.

She just has never caught the virus, and never will.

It's a little sad, since I'm an enthusiast but ... ehh, that's life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart