Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Leather Clothing USAC A-1 Capeskin Flying

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have just looked at the ELC A-1 on your HPA website and the measurements look good. What a great customer aid adding the measurements! Really like it!

bn1966

Visited ELC today & viewed & handled an A-1 (unfortunately not my size). Went in thinking I would be buying another A-2 but will in fact be getting an A-1 :)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Here's my ELC .50cal following a home collar replacement (the original sat too low at the back for my taste).

IMG_0976_zps64a8d1ef.jpg

IMG_0978_zpscdc015cb.jpg

IMG_0979_zpsd761cf4f.jpg

The original thread showing the collar surgery is here http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...GW-and-ELC-50-Cal)/page4&highlight=.50cal+a-1

bn1966

Great jackets Gentlemen thanks for the pictures, mines going to be ready hopefully some time in May.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Here's my ELC .50cal following a home collar replacement (the original sat too low at the back for my taste).

You are really dedicated - that's quite an undertaking!

I must say, the jackets we have in stock don't appear the way yours did, nor does the one I modeled here. I'm wondering if this has now been changed ...

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
You are really dedicated - that's quite an undertaking!

Well some might say that; some might just put it down to A-1 OCD... ;)

I've owned more Type A-1 repros than any other jacket (several 'normal' ELC, half a dozen Good Wear Leather and a lovely custom Bill Kelso) as this is the pattern that I wear most often.

My .50cal is the closest that I've yet seen to the finish and hand of a well-worn original, but when I bought it the collar knit dipped at the back - I wasn't complaining as it was a 'reissue depot' jacket so was significantly cheaper than stock. I've had several versions of John Chapman's A-1 (including a couple of early jackets in the superb thicker capeskin), but whilst the latter pattern were a little larger in the torso and biceps for me, they had the perfect collar pattern. So, with a little help from Rob Brace to supply the knit, the thread and the buttons, I was able to set my .50 cal straight and it's now a keeper.

I almost wished that I'd had my ELC .50cal A-1 with me today.

It's remarkably hot in Florida - OK, locals will bear with me as it's only high 80s/low 90s Farenheit, but for a cool blooded Brit it feels a little warm. So, with an eye on the thermometer I left the A-1 at home as I realised that it wouldn't get much wear here (with high 80s very late into the evening/night anything other than a shirt is distinctly uncomfortable).

However, I flew this Boeing Stearman this morning (with Rob at Waldo Wright's Flying Service, http://www.waldowrights.com/stearman/) and as hot as I'd have been the jacket would have been a nice finishing touch.

IMG_2595_zpsuiuivw8w.jpg

IMG_2601_zps3f0426yz.jpg

IMG_2612_zpsictcmj9v.jpg

A superb aircraft - I've been keen to fly a biplane for years and had anticipated a trip in a Tiger Moth, but I'm so glad that the first trip was a Stearman (such a well engineered 'plane and so sensitive on the controls). This was a half hour trip through the first 6-8 missions used by the instructors who taught cadets to fly in the Stearman.

It was a real bonus to meet Lon Cooper, who developed the flight programme. Lon is a very bright and spry 93 year old, who was a flight instructor with the Lodwick School of Aeronautics in Lakeland, FL, from 1941-1945. He was a mine of information about the aircraft and kept my family enthralled while I was flying.

On reflection, whilst the trip in the Spitfire will have to wait (a long time) it has only whetted my appetite for a spin in a Moth or a Harvard with my A-1 at Duxford.

Last edited:

bn1966

Well, I've been down to ELC today & now have an A-1 on order....thank you Charles @ HPA for setting the seed! I'm expecting a 3 week turn around on the A-1 & will post pics when it arrives..light & buttery soft :)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Sadly I sold mine but I can honestly say these are very nice jackets and a treat to wear. My friend Ian has had several versions of A1 and he has sold all of them apart from the Eastman. This design only works in Capeskin and Gary has nailed it.

As John says, I've had a whole stack of A-1 jackets (from three of the top makers) and won't sell my .50cal now.
It's more robust than the stock (untreated) ELC A-1, which is certainly supple and very forgiving of damage, but tough as old boots.
It's the repro that I could see being used regularly in an open cockpit...

HPA Rep

Vendor
Well, I've been down to ELC today & now have an A-1 on order....thank you Charles @ HPA for setting the seed! I'm expecting a 3 week turn around on the A-1 & will post pics when it arrives..light & buttery soft :)

Outstanding! Glad to have acted as the devil on your shoulder on this. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL