Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eat the Santa Fe Super Chief French Toast

Haversack

One Too Many
I've made that French Toast before and it is good. My favorite though is the Pennsylvania Railroad French Toast. You make strawberry jam and butter sandwiches with whole slices of the bread, cut the crusts off, and cut them into triangles. The batter is eggs, milk, powdered sugar, either cinnamon or vanilla, and is beaten for at least 10 minutes. After the triangle sandwiches are fried, they get dusted with powdered sugar and served with maple syrup.

I found the recipes for the Pennsy and AT&SF French Toasts along with those of the Soo Line, Union Pacific, and Northern Pacific is a book titled Dining By Rail by James D. Porterfield. The first half of the book is a history of railroad food in the US and Canada. The second half is recipes broken down by the different rail lines. It also features some separate chapters such the one on French Toast and some of the regional specialties found on some lines.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Great stuff! I have a Union Pacific dining car cook book that I picked up about 15 years ago. It's kind of cool to be able to replicate fare from the City of Los Angeles or some of the other name trains of the era.

Reactions: RJR

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Sounds delicious, but due to dietary restrictions (diabetes and artery issues) I will most probably not make or eat it, that is, unless someone else makes it and I can sample a small piece, and then hope I don't want more. haha

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
By pure coincidence, I just came across the above-mentioned book. It doesn't have a publication date, but I would guess mid '40s. It's title is Union Pacific Dining Car Cook Book and Service Instructions. It contains not only recipes , but also settings for various meals and situations (counter, dining table, etc.).

filfoster

One Too Many
Sounds delicious, but due to dietary restrictions (diabetes and artery issues) I will most probably not make or eat it, that is, unless someone else makes it and I can sample a small piece, and then hope I don't want more. haha

I'm a heart patient so no fats but believe strongly, as you do, that bacon, fries and French toast off someone else's plate don't count.

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
These recipes look fantastic. I know what I'm fixin' for breakfast tomorrow! That said, I really can't figure out how the quality of travel continues to degrade. I've traveled Amtrak and enjoyed it, however, it's nothing like it was just a few years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk