Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay fit woes

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
GoldLeaf said:
No fair! I have the opposite problem, garments look empty when I wear them! I put my measurements into a bra size calculator recently, and it told me that if my measurements were accurate, I was so small I actually didn't need a bra :eek: :mad: :( :p A different site told me I was a 36AA! How, then, do 36B bras fit me? I should get profesionally measured sometime, I am totally confused now!

I don't trust those bra calculator things, going by those I should be a 34A, but I got fitted at a bra shop locally and was told I was a 34C.. bit of a difference! :eek:

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
And while we're at it, perhaps you can share some of your bust with me as well. I always say that my sisters stole those genes. lol

I thought of another point that has been mentioned in other threads--foundation garments. They really can make a lot of difference in fit, even with garments that already fit you.

My sister stole those from me too!

redpony

Vendor
When buying on ebay, just be certain to check the seller's feedback and return policies. Feedback will give you a good inclination for how they handle problems. No matter how cute it is (unless you are willing to re-sell), don't purchase items from sellers with questionable ethics.

If they are a new seller, just drop them an email asking if they will accept returns (including shipping costs both ways) if the measurements are not as stated

-Amanda

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since we have such a diverse group of ladies of all sizes here, maybe we should post our items that don't fit (with real mearuements) and get an exchange going! Or maybe put them in the classifieds. I'm sure most things would get snapped up.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
What a good idea Bella!

Unfortunately for you ladies, three lovelies already snapped up my garments that didn't fit. I posted them in the classifieds. They go fast because most of the stuff in the classifieds are for the gents.

Plus, why bother sending it back to the seller when there are ladies here who'd love to have it. :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Since we have such a diverse group of ladies of all sizes here, maybe we should post our items that don't fit (with real mearuements) and get an exchange going! Or maybe put them in the classifieds. I'm sure most things would get snapped up.

Setting that up in classifieds would be a lovely idea. Keeping an continous thread of it. Thanks for taking this on MBH! :D ;)

LD

I have some stockings I could offer up. They are for the talllll gals.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Add me to the woes!

I just got a navy dress with a sailor-esque collar-- and bad luck! It doesn't fit my underbust. I seem to have a larger than pattern perfect rib cage! Anyhow my loss is someone's gain. I've put it up for resale in the classifieds.

Should I change the thread title to "Ebay fit woes"? I have it as a separate listing....

Honey Doll

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Pink Dahlia said:
Maybe you should start the thread, LD.

at least a serperate womens classifieds???
goodness, i get so lost lookingthrough the classifieds trying to figure whats womens and mens just by the titles sometimes.

although, i get bummed when i open the thread and its a link to an ebay auction :(
oh well.
ladies only classifieds!!!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
When I have trouble with fit, it is usually because the item is too short-waisted--sometimes the measurements give this away, and sometimes they don't (and sometimes a garment can be worn despite being a little short, if paired with the right belt, so I sometimes take a chance on dresses that are too cute to pass up.)

I have the opposite problem! I'm quite short waisted (I'm just short in general!), so I always have to get dresses altered or else the bust is gigantic on me because everything hits the wrong places because of my short waist. Luckily I have a great seamstress that can fix even the most complicated dresses for me. Without her I would have so many dresses I can't even wear!

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I have to say, I shop ebay less and less. Because it is so over shopped now, I can usually get stuff at my near-by stores for the same prices, but more often, even cheaper. And being able to try it on and check the fit is worth so much to me after I've had a handful of things from off ebay not fit as reported, or just look awful on. So, I shop local except for really specific items that I know I'll find on ebay.

One frustrating thing I've noticed in stores and on ebay lately... half slips are soo expensive! $25 for a plain ol' halfslip!? Frustrating.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
Setting that up in classifieds would be a lovely idea. Keeping an continous thread of it. Thanks for taking this on MBH! :D ;)

LD

I have some stockings I could offer up. They are for the talllll gals.

Yeah I'll get right on that :p I just did some closet cleanout though and have some things I'll put in the classifieds before i put 'em on thee bay.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
beaucaillou said:
I have to say, I shop ebay less and less. Because it is so over shopped now, I can usually get stuff at my near-by stores for the same prices, but more often, even cheaper. And being able to try it on and check the fit is worth so much to me after I've had a handful of things from off ebay not fit as reported, or just look awful on. So, I shop local except for really specific items that I know I'll find on ebay.

One frustrating thing I've noticed in stores and on ebay lately... half slips are soo expensive! $25 for a plain ol' halfslip!? Frustrating.

It's true. But eBay is so tempting. All those dresses out there. So much potential....

But I have been relying more on local vintage sellers because I like supporting local businesses. And there is also the Alameda Flea Market, this huge monthly event that is right down the street from me.

cemetarian

Vendor
Oh, I'm so saddened by ya'lls comments regarding eBay.....Not just because I'm a seller but because you have had such bad experiences. Just like any venue there are good sellers and bad sellers (and good buyers and bad buyers)...........I am also hard to fit and I simply don't buy ANYTHING unless I can try it on.........(the one exception is undies........those are pretty standard).........

As a seller I know that I try to measure everything measurable and am always willing to double check measurements or take additional measurements if the prospective buyer asks me. I also know there are those who don't and the only thing I can recommend is to do what someone else said.....check feedback etc and make a decision based on past performance.

I have found that the one thing us Hard to Fits Gals can do is learn to sew..........she says as she wipes the 2 inches of dust off the sewing machine............there are lots of vintage patterns and even some of the newer ones which can be modified to fit. So it's just food for thought.

Don't give up and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.........just be more selective and try to find sellers you trust and can develope a relationship with. I know that a lot of the reputable Vintage Sellers offer a no questions asked return policy..........sadly I'm not one of them.......I can't afford to have merchandise out there while the buyer decides if it's perfect or not.........which I could but the rent's got to be paid and there's no return on the Light bill......but there are lots of them.........so pick one of those and at least you have options if the garment doesn't fit or suit you.

I'm so tickled to be here and have people who really enjoy vintage.............all things vintage not just clothes.........

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
This might be slightly off-topic, but as I am fairly new here, I hope you will forgive me! Since you were all talking about eBay, I have to ask, especially since a few of you are sellers-am I allowed on here to give out my eBay seller ID to you all? I am currently running a ton of vintage pattern auctions, and I would love for them to fall into the right hands. I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but believe me-it is an honest question. Is there a place where I can post my eBay name, or at least put it in my signature? I don't want to make a large mistake and get kicked out of the Lounge because I am really enjoying all the talk. Sorry to just bust in on the chat...please don't be too mad! Thanks for any advice or help!
Jenny

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
RedHotRidinHood said:
This might be slightly off-topic, but as I am fairly new here, I hope you will forgive me! Since you were all talking about eBay, I have to ask, especially since a few of you are sellers-am I allowed on here to give out my eBay seller ID to you all? I am currently running a ton of vintage pattern auctions, and I would love for them to fall into the right hands. I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but believe me-it is an honest question. Is there a place where I can post my eBay name, or at least put it in my signature? I don't want to make a large mistake and get kicked out of the Lounge because I am really enjoying all the talk. Sorry to just bust in on the chat...please don't be too mad! Thanks for any advice or help!
Jenny

You can post links to your auctions in the classifieds section. :)

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
THANK YOU both for such a quick reply! I will do what you suggested, JBD-and by the way, I need to get together with you because I have a little goodie I want to give you before you go away!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
RedHotRidinHood said:
THANK YOU both for such a quick reply! I will do what you suggested, JBD-and by the way, I need to get together with you because I have a little goodie I want to give you before you go away!

:eek:fftopic:
Well, you know, JBD is invited to the Ladies Lunch at the end of the month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic