Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay...price gouging fees.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
If there was no eBay what would we do?
It has helped me complete collections of various items and got me parts for projects very quickly. All just by sitting at home in front of a computer screen.
Without eBay I would have to meet people, ask questions, look in papershop windows, search magazine ads maybe wait years to find that elusive vintage magazine for my collection, maybe even visit an antique show.
Now I can still visit the antique show where I can pick up something, the vendor gives me a price and as I look at the item sceptically he says to me "Thats a good price, they sell for........ on ebay" I refrain from saying "Why don't you sell it on eBay then?" But think blissfully back to the days before eBay and all the fun I had searching for these things.
Oh well, thats progress. :rolleyes:

Yeah but just think of all that quality time you've saved that you can now waste it on forums. :D

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Most eBay sellers I've had dealings with prefer PayPal to other methods of payment anyway. It's really only the occasional ebayer who is selling an item for a few $/£/€ & doesn't have a PayPal account that ask to be paid by alternative means. I've even sent cash to a few sellers (my choice, not there's) & everything worked out fine. Trust goes a long way in Ebayland.
To anyone who doesn't like either eBay or PayPal I can only suggest that they don't freakin' use 'em & stop bitchin' about it. :rolleyes:
Less and less and this was the origin and start of this thread...
Less and less use and accept PP, less and less sell via the Fleebay....all reasons all explanations and opinions given and all valid and respected.
For my little person...sold 12 jackets on TFL, bought 2... No Paypal...no isues.
Good luck to all who accept and are happy with PP and their policies...RESPECT!

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
What .. not Pecards, vaseline, obenaufs, renapaur, yak grease .. or mink oil ????

Unless you use one of the above ... as recommended by NASA, The Smithsonian Institute, God and all of the saints ..... You're stitching will rot, your jacket turn to the consistency of hardened dog turd and crumble away before your eyes ...... :) :) :)

Sometimes .. we are just a little over attentive :) ( P.S. I rate the pink goo very highly especially for horse tack ..... it's a bit heavy duty though so I reserve it for desperate kit :) )

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
What .. not Pecards, vaseline, obenaufs, renapaur, yak grease .. or mink oil ????

Unless you use one of the above ... as recommended by NASA, The Smithsonian Institute, God and all of the saints ..... You're stitching will rot, your jacket turn to the consistency of hardened dog turd and crumble away before your eyes ...... :) :) :)

Sometimes .. we are just a little over attentive :) ( P.S. I rate the pink goo very highly especially for horse tack ..... it's a bit heavy duty though so I reserve it for desperate kit :) )

Well I used Ko Cho on my Battersea Contract Aero A2 for 35 years and on my original WWII Lucky 7 Seven A2 for nearly as long and there is nothing wrong with any of the stitching. Only recommended by me and the guy selling it for horse tack. if it's good enough to take a bit of horse spit and sweat, well.............
Good old Pecards, It's probably just as good but cost more so I'll stick with the red(pink?) goo

Plumbline

One Too Many
Indeed .... we've used it for years and it's great on really worn tack and never had an issue ..... and TBH I've yet to find / use a really terrible leather conditioner .... from Mars Oil to Mink Oil and all number of products in between. I don't think there is a "silver bullet" in the leather conditioning world be it beeswax, lanolin, petroleum jelly, mink oil, neatsfoot oil or anything else ..... you should see what tanners soak into their leather :) :) :)

I just love the way every jacket producer / owner has their preference ( and was not really being serious about your jacket crumbling :) )

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I just love the way every jacket producer / owner has their preference ( and was not really being serious about your jacket crumbling :) )
Yes I knew that haha.
What we need to do is get members to buy a new jacket on the same day, wear it and abuse it then after say 5 years smother it in preferred treatment. Oil it up regularly every year then for the next 30-40 years then come back with the results.
And the winner is............

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
It bugs me when sellers request paypal payment as friend - leaving the buyer zero protection. Just incorporate the fees in your asking price. Simples.
Fully agree, this is the biggest none-sense ( hypocritic ) invention Paypal ever put on the market...

Justhandguns

Practically Family
To anyone who doesn't like either eBay or PayPal I can only suggest that they don't freakin' use 'em & stop bitchin' about it. :rolleyes:

I guess.... not that we don't like the duo, it is just that they are pretty much monopolising the online auctioning market. I do not know much about economics, but logic tells me that you need competitions to keep the price down, which ebay/paypal don't have any.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It bugs me when sellers request paypal payment as friend - leaving the buyer zero protection. Just incorporate the fees in your asking price. Simples.
I was just about finished with this thread, then this came up.
First look at what it is really for. As it's title say's Friends and family, they probably would not rip you off.
Next up. Buyer/Seller protection. It is far harder for a seller to claim and get their money back than it is for a buyer to challenge a non arrival of a shipment even if the seller sends an item fully tracked and insured. eBay/Paypal even gives the buyer the option to keep or send back an item that has arrived that they are not happy with. Note I say far harder. eBay will only grant in favour of the seller in extreme circumstances.
eBay no longer allows sellers to give non paying bidders, late payers etc negative feedback or even neutral for that matter. The answer to this at the time was sellers bullying buyers to give positive feedback first. My answer to this is not to leave feedback till the buyer has, meaning that I have 190 on my score when in reality it could be 400+ My answer to this was once a feedback that read (Pos)"My Mother told me If you can't say something nice say nothing" to which I got a 24 hr suspension .

breezer

Practically Family
I was just about finished with this thread, then this came up.
First look at what it is really for. As it's title say's Friends and family, they probably would not rip you off.
Next up. Buyer/Seller protection. It is far harder for a seller to claim and get their money back than it is for a buyer to challenge a non arrival of a shipment even if the seller sends an item fully tracked and insured. eBay/Paypal even gives the buyer the option to keep or send back an item that has arrived that they are not happy with. Note I say far harder. eBay will only grant in favour of the seller in extreme circumstances.
eBay no longer allows sellers to give non paying bidders, late payers etc negative feedback or even neutral for that matter. The answer to this at the time was sellers bullying buyers to give positive feedback first. My answer to this is not to leave feedback till the buyer has, meaning that I have 190 on my score when in reality it could be 400+ My answer to this was once a feedback that read (Pos)"My Mother told me If you can't say something nice say nothing" to which I got a 24 hr suspension .

I wasn't talking about ebay - I was talking about trades done on forums. Either way I aint sending money as a 'friend'….and I wouldn't ask anybody to send me money that way.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't talking about ebay - I was talking about trades done on forums. Either way I aint sending money as a 'friend'….and I wouldn't ask anybody to send me money that way.
Yes ok, but as the topic title was eBay fees I thought your comment was about, eBay.
And while we are at it don't ever accept Paypal and let a buyer on or off eBay collect the thing from your home address, make sure it is cash only as they can then claim they never received the item and you have no proof of collection electronic or otherwise. Don't bother to get the buyer to sign anything as the buyer could simply deny it.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Funny enough I bought something on eBay sunday evening (end of auction date) & payed by Paypal. So! I hear you ask ? :rolleyes: well, I hadn't bought anything from the bay for quite some time & I was surprised, not to to say alarmed, that on clicking on the 'pay now' button I was immediately taken to my PayPal account without having to log in or even identify myself.o_O Hmmmm, that I don't like. Sure, it's much easier & quicker but where is the security ? Although to the best of my knowledge PayPal hasn't been hacked, at least not since I've been using it, Ebay has & if it has automatic access to a P.P account, so do the hackers.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Funny enough I bought something on eBay sunday evening (end of auction date) & payed by Paypal. So! I hear you ask ? :rolleyes: well, I hadn't bought anything from the bay for quite some time & I was surprised, not to to say alarmed, that on clicking on the 'pay now' button I was immediately taken to my PayPal account without having to log in or even identify myself.o_O Hmmmm, that I don't like. Sure, it's much easier & quicker but where is the security ? Although to the best of my knowledge PayPal hasn't been hacked, at least not since I've been using it, Ebay has & if it has automatic access to a P.P account, so do the hackers.

In that case, you have to "disconnect" your ebay account with your paypal account. They are simply trying to make it 'too easy' for you to buy things, but make it 'so easy' for the hackers as well.....

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've had few, if any, troubles with the things I've bought and sold there as far as buyers or sellers being dishonest. But I've stopped selling due to the impossibility of realizing any kind of profit. In 2015 I sold a brand new jacket which was retail worth nearly a grand for less than $300. By the time all was said and done, I realized just over $200.
Yesterday, I bought a book on Buy It Now for $4.30 with free shipping. I don't know how the seller does it but they've sold hundreds of thousands of things there, so...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

I'm guess your computer has memorized all your passwords and that's a security setting you've ticked or failed to tick. Although if there was no login screen at all, that's alarming.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I've had few, if any, troubles with the things I've bought and sold there as far as buyers or sellers being dishonest. But I've stopped selling due to the impossibility of realizing any kind of profit. In 2015 I sold a brand new jacket which was retail worth nearly a grand for less than $300. By the time all was said and done, I realized just over $200.
Yesterday, I bought a book on Buy It Now for $4.30 with free shipping. I don't know how the seller does it but they've sold hundreds of thousands of things there, so...
Hi, and great to read that a lot of people are very keen and happy with their aquisitions.
However, just think on what kind of margin and profit is left to the seller...considering, risk, commissions, plus ..plus ..plus..
Plus ..the buyer ..vs..the non existing seller protection!!!???...again...risk..risk risk...and Ebay and PP..are glad and happy and squeezing $$$$$ out of all this...?.?.?
Again, no moaning, no bitching, no disrespect...but pls just value "work and need."..
Happy for your great deal.
BTW: in EU PP is soon illegal...

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I'm guess your computer has memorized all your passwords and that's a security setting you've ticked or failed to tick. Although if there was no login screen at all, that's alarming.

Nope, I never have my computer memorize any usenames, email addresses or passwords. I think it's a recent eBay feature as I briefly noticed a little message on top of the PayPal page asking for feedback on new improved payment facility, unfortunately I didn't click on it to find out more but I shall look into it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot