Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay...price gouging fees.

I just checked, and the listing fee was $9.60. That's fine. But they should not then confiscate an additional 10% from my sale!

It's just like if I take out an add in the Dallas Morning News. I pay a fee, but they don't turn around and rob me for an extra 10%.
That's an absurd listing fee!! Something's not right there.

willyto

One Too Many
I would never make a deal outside Ebay and without Paypal. Yes, we all hate Paypal but it's a necessary Evil that brings a secure transaction of money.

I prefer US sellers to sell through Ebay shipping program because that saves me future customs taxes and fees. You pay everything in advance and at a very reasonable price and gets here fast.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I guess market accessibility has a price. I have bought and sold things that may have been near impossible without Ebay access. And they are still nowhere near as bad as auction houses who gouge both buyer and seller and charge both the buyer and seller 20% or more each on every item sold.

See, this is exactly why the way they're doing business is fundamentally wrong - they force you to become greedy since being honest simply doesn't pay off.
All sorts of suggestions ITT on how to cheat the system and made a few extra $ on a side, simply because by being honest you'll end up screwed. I started off thinking I'd just move a couple of jackets for the same price I got 'em for but now I'm also looking for every possible way to cheat the damn thing and mooch more money just to minimize my loss.

I'm really interested what's going on with Etsy though and why are their prices 2x eBay in the least.

See, this is exactly why the way they're doing business is fundamentally wrong - they force you to become greedy since being honest simply doesn't pay off.
All sorts of suggestions ITT on how to cheat the system and made a few extra $ on a side, simply because by being honest you'll end up screwed. I started off thinking I'd just move a couple of jackets for the same price I got 'em for but now I'm also looking for every possible way to cheat the damn thing and mooch more money just to minimize my loss.

I'm really interested what's going on with Etsy though and why are their prices 2x eBay in the least.
Me too. Etsy is a real mystery.

mihai

A-List Customer
Never sold things on eBay. I understood you need to enable smth in your PayPal account to be able to receive payments...
(I know thats just to try to bully people to sign up to use their global shipping service but still.)
As a client I find this britny bowels global shipping or whatever a real pain. The most useless, time inefficient shipping service. From Uk to another EU country it passes through 3 shipping carriers at least. And the time is 2 weeks instead of just 1. Good luck locating your package if things go wrong before showing up on tracking page(of first carrier).

Selling things is almost always a huge pain in the rear. Best thing is to keep purchases down to things you will keep for a very long time. Easier said than done I know....
Yeah, I try also, most things are bought as keepers. But often is an incremental process. You find things that work for you better, fit better, maybe change preferences for styles. Here in Europe is a pain to sell. The vintage/used goods market is not as developed as in USA. Europeans are bit snobs I guess and prejudiced against used items(my work colleagues prefer to wear a trashy mall leather jacket for 100 euros and freak out when talking about pre-owned ones). Trend in Europe is to rather buy this one season/single use stuff. The most branded/expensive the better. When not liked/needed it ends up in trash.

eBay does suck for a lot of reasons, but it has the gravity of its customers. I really wish a better competitor could replace them. But until then...

Simple solution is to list at the minimum you're willing to sell it for, and include about 20-25% of that cost going to eBay in your determination of value. Be willing to wait a while for it to sell. You could use a reserve price too, but they charge extra for that service. Or do a Buy It Now listing at a price you feel is fair value.
As an eBay customer(so far) I feel quite safe(not totally, plenty of things still to go wrong). I had few problems in years with sellers not shipping/keep dodging me when asking about purchase status. Recently I bought a fringe Perfecto from eBay and the seller(along with replying like 2 out of 6 times) just created shipping label but not shipped. When eBay case was opened he shipped the item rather promptly. In other cases I got refund from eBay. My opinion of these later sellers is that they should end up criminally prosecuted/convicted. Is just attempt of theft like any other.

Best is to use Ebay as a show room only...whenever someone asks for a deal outside Ebay and his offer is right...go for it...cancel the auction. You then only pay a very little fee for the " show room rent"... Avoid Paypal by using bank transfer or Money Order etc...hence sell at minimum costs...
Especially as a buyer(also as a seller to a lesser extent) I'm reluctant to do it outside of eBay, unless seller/buyer has a known reputation(here on forum...). Outside of PayPal never. By CC good luck trying to cancel a payment. Try explaining those bank incompetents that you did not get the purchased item, even providing electronic invoices/email communication won't help. Last time they told me they need a statement from the merchant admitting this fact...lol. You do it by bank/wire transfer and you are completely on your own should smth go wrong.

Also when booking hotels I prefer to make it through a third party. In case things go south it helps having a "witness". I always lough when hotels propose around 10 euros less on room prices if I book directly with them. No thanks, better to be someone asking them questions in case they start acting funny.

My understanding is that it started as a market for (hand)crafted things.
They started cheap, they built kind of aura of hidden place for great deals, rare vintage but now prices(after last 4-5 years) got even higher than eBay.

Last edited:

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
To the OP. I feel ya. I haven't bothered with fleabay since 2008. It was how I made 80% of my income when I lived in Chile. But Meg W. and the gang just sucked all the fun out of it and it became an onerous ordeal of fees upon fees. It never was what I would call advantageous to me but it became ridiculous and scammy. I was pretty early with them I first started selling in 1998. Don't get me started on PayPunk. They still have 9k USD of my money.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Best is to use Ebay as a show room only...whenever someone asks for a deal outside Ebay and his offer is right...go for it...cancel the auction. You then only pay a very little fee for the " show room rent"... Avoid Paypal by using bank transfer or Money Order etc...hence sell at minimum costs...
Cancelling the auction early is not very "ethical", for sure, but nowadays Ebay calls for it.
I am on the bay since 2001, whenever possible, selling/buying without the fleeBay, ending aution early etc...Never had a single issue not in buying not in selling.
Happy I did not make Paypal nor Ebay rich. Surely you have to be picky...maybe also loosing oportunities...with your buyers and sellers....like every thing in life....chose your own way but be prepared for it.
I hate to give my CC N# away into the cloud ( to Paypal and others) especially considering all the hacking and especially considering the nonexisting seller protection policy at PP.
( the buyer and PP decides over your products and services in case of an issue...no chance for the seller to claim... how is that?)
Finally, PP has no office in EU , but only a call center in Luxenburg...Anyone here accepting that his " bank " or his "CC sharer" has no office in country?
Sorry I dont!
Just google: Nightmare Paypal, issues with Paypal etc...

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
To the OP. I feel ya. I haven't bothered with fleabay since 2008. It was how I made 80% of my income when I lived in Chile. But Meg W. and the gang just sucked all the fun out of it and it became an onerous ordeal of fees upon fees. It never was what I would call advantageous to me but it became ridiculous and scammy. I was pretty early with them I first started selling in 1998. Don't get me started on PayPunk. They still have 9k USD of my money.
Sorry to read that!
Just google: Nightmare Paypal, issues with Paypal, stealing with Paypal... etc...you are not the only one bro.

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
I was going to list a case of 1950's NOS Vacuum Tubes. Before I was done, the fees were at $20! That is when I blew up, saying NEVER AGAIN!
I might be interested in some of those NOS tubes you have. Would you mind posting some details? Perhaps in the classifieds would be more appropriate so apologies for the possible derailing.

I have used eBay quite a bit and it is the breadth of the audience that makes it work for me. I have been able to purchase things (like old valves) that would just not be available otherwise. When I list something I tend to start at the minimum I would accept and sometimes add a speculative buy it now. I usually do OK but have had some major disappointments as well. I also try to ring fence the funds and treat eBay as a recycling hobby.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Maybe ebay will become a victim of it's own greed and something like the old eBay will rise from the ashes.
I have sold stuff on other sites, but more and more insist on using the PayPal Goods rather than family and friends. Ebay is trying to make itself like a real shop where you can simply take/send goods back if they don't fit or you find a cheaper item elsewhere. This is ok in theory for new items but cannot really apply to secondhand goods.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Anyone ever seen anything of real value on eBay? Something like an original Picasso painting, a Bugatti car( from the golden era) or rare film poster such as an original 1933 King Kong? Just 3 items from the thousands of things that still go to a live auction.
I did see an eBay auction for a tunnel boring machine, but I believe the sale was for charity and not sure if the price actually raised, was paid. Also items like these would not be cherished or hidden away in collections like famous paintings or ultra rare cars etc.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I don't see what the gripe is about. I have both bought & sold on the bay & used paypal for all sorts of transactions & have no resentment paying their fees for the service they offer. Wish I could say the same for banks, they really are thieves. :rolleyes:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Anyone ever seen anything of real value on eBay? Something like an original Picasso painting, a Bugatti car( from the golden era) or rare film poster such as an original 1933 King Kong? Just 3 items from the thousands of things that still go to a live auction..

Yes & no. Many auction houses now have online eBay bidders during their live auctions. :rolleyes: But objects like you mentioned have their own sales networks & the fees are considerably higher. ;) However, if you're looking for a genuine, freshly painted Picasso or Monet or an original movie poster, printed in China, then eBay is the place to look. :D

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Anyone ever seen anything of real value on eBay? Something like an original Picasso painting, a Bugatti car( from the golden era) or rare film poster such as an original 1933 King Kong? Just 3 items from the thousands of things that still go to a live auction.
I did see an eBay auction for a tunnel boring machine, but I believe the sale was for charity and not sure if the price actually raised, was paid. Also items like these would not be cherished or hidden away in collections like famous paintings or ultra rare cars etc.
Just bought my Rolex DeepSea advertised on the Bay ( in Germany)...got it without the Bay... Bank wired... have it on my wrist now...All perfect, full set : all boxes ,docs cards , receipt ( from Germany ) etc.. a 9500 Euro deal! brand new unworn from 2016!!!! instead 11.000,--Euro .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot