Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay vs Etsy vs Fedora Lounge

Sigrah

New in Town
So, I am very new to the vintage hat "scene" or maybe "culture" is a better word, but I love it. I remember my grand-father wearing them with fond memories. That being said, I have a Tilley, a Mayser and a recently acquired Akubra from stmike on this site. So really no Vintage hats yet.

How do the aforementioned sites stack up? I already trust people here, but not sure how to gauge the other two, especially etsy. Any and all help is appreciated. Plus, I have started looking at local antique shops and have have found some vintages, none in my size, but just trying to figure out value to other loungers. I have read a lots of posts, I guess that is the key.

Thanks,

Ron

sal

One of the Regulars
I have purchased from here and EBay. Never from Etsy. Funny I never really thought about your question but when I did this was my conclusion. eBay has never given me problem but I am always leery. Not that I am going to get taken intentionally however I believe that it is possible. Rather the sellers may not have enough knowledge about the product.
On the forum I feel as if the price will be fair and the seller has adequate knowledge in representing the
product.
Funny, when I thought about your question it seems one falls into a sense of security without thinking about it because we tend to subconsciously think people of like mind will not take advantage of members of the group. Basic group dynamics. I feel that way with items for sale on here.
If I had a choice of the same item on all three sites I will go with members on this board every time.

Etsy has a lovely interface but a much smaller offering of wares than eBay. I find Etsy time consuming to search.

Ebay is the wide wide world - anything and everything for sale and generally good people who mean well, though many sellers have limited knowledge about their items. The onus is on you to know about the stuff you search and to bid accordingly.

The classifieds here are great, but everything is BIN and good items will (usually) sell quickly. Buying and trading with lounge members can be a great experience.

I have used all three extensively without a bad (fraudulent) experience. There is a learning curve.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I buy from all three but sell only on the FL and Etsy. Etsy is good people, just smaller and more specialized than EBay.

m0nk

One Too Many
I've picked up items here on the FL, on Etsy, and on Ebay. Anywhere you look you can get deals, it's a matter of knowing what you're after. Ebay has a much greater selection to browse, so you might have a better chance of finding what you're looking for. And with that greater selection, you may just find something mislabeled or ill-described causing others to skip it over. I've gotten some really good deals because of bad descriptions and pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran