Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebaying this Steton... BUT, opinions

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
OK, folks. I am thinking of putting this one back up on ebay. But the question I have is, should I keep it? Is there anything interesting about it?

It looks to be a Stetson Fedora in Caribou, Mr. Stetson DF 4000 model.

It's a very clean Stetson fedora in perfect shape. No moth bites, no holes or stains. Hat is just cherry. The brim is a 2 incher and the size of the hat is a 7-1/8 (57). It almost has a look of a Homburg, but it isn't a Homburg. I'd imagine it was made either in the 1970s or 1980s. On me it is way too loose. I'd have to stuff the band to wear it and I'm not fond of stingy brims anyway.

The color is a blueish gray, Stetson calls it "caribou."

The style is a Mr. Stetson DF 4000 and on the paper tag inside the sweat band is the name of the guy that owned it (he was from North Carolina, but I won't advertise his name on the Internet).

I am not putting this here to sell it to you guys. I just want everyone's opinion on its suitability for saving. Is there anything interesting enough to keep it just for keepings sake?

statson.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
To me, that would be an easy seller. Not vintage or uniquely stylish enough to fall in love with, but very clean which makes it marketable.

I'd expect to get $30 - $50 for it on Ebay -- but don't hold me to it. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes the timing isn't right. Last couple of 7-1/4 fedoras I sold had similar proportions and garnered that price-range. Yours is cleaner. And Stetson's Caribou is a very nice grey.

G'luck!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ewwwww

I bought this same hat in 1977 for a Halloween party at my college..went as a "gangster". This hat is a stingy brim 70's Stetson. Not a bad hat, but not a great hat. I paid (at the time for a college kid) a "lot" for it, but in reflection, it was not expensive.

Sell it on the bay for $50 and someone will enjoy it.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mobile Vulgus said:
OK, folks. I am thinking of putting this one back up on ebay. But the question I have is, should I keep it? Is there anything interesting about it?

It looks to be a Stetson Fedora in Caribou, Mr. Stetson DF 4000 model.

It's a very clean Stetson fedora in perfect shape. No moth bites, no holes or stains. Hat is just cherry. The brim is a 2 incher and the size of the hat is a 7-1/8 (57). It almost has a look of a Homburg, but it isn't a Homburg. I'd imagine it was made either in the 1970s or 1980s. On me it is way too loose. I'd have to stuff the band to wear it and I'm not fond of stingy brims anyway.

The color is a blueish gray, Stetson calls it "caribou."

The style is a Mr. Stetson DF 4000 and on the paper tag inside the sweat band is the name of the guy that owned it (he was from North Carolina, but I won't advertise his name on the Internet).

I am not putting this here to sell it to you guys. I just want everyone's opinion on its suitability for saving. Is there anything interesting enough to keep it just for keepings sake?

statson.jpg
Unless it's compelling, let it go. Concentrate on wearing the hats of yours that convince you.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Exactly

These were my feelings, too. Thanks for the input. I will be putting this on ebay today. (If I remember I paid $19.00 for it)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Oh, yes. And "gangster," too. Though I might have a tough time sticking "Indiana Jones" on this one. But, heck, truth never stopped any OTHER ebay seller!! Ha, ha.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mobile Vulgus said:
Oh, yes. And "gangster," too. Though I might have a tough time sticking "Indiana Jones" on this one. But, heck, truth never stopped any OTHER ebay seller!! Ha, ha.

You'd also better put Michael Jackson in the title... :rolleyes: ;)

Let us know how it goes.

Randy

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
LOL

Yeah, forgot "Michael Jackson."

If the show gets more popular, you'll be sure to see "Boardwalk Empire" in hat sales. Still, that one is a cable show, so I'd guess it is less likely to see it any time soon.

rare

MV...throw in all of those words you previously wrote about....add rare too..just thought I'd pitch in my 2 cents...:p lol

Mobile Vulgus said:
Yeah, forgot "Michael Jackson."

If the show gets more popular, you'll be sure to see "Boardwalk Empire" in hat sales. Still, that one is a cable show, so I'd guess it is less likely to see it any time soon.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Sure, it's low-crowned and tapered, but I don't think it's a bad hat. I wouldn't mind wearing it if it were in my size. I could see that being a fine dress hat to go with a sports jacket, or even a hat for casual outings in town.

I'm sure someone will appreciate it, so if you feel as if it isn't doing anything for you, when it comes to appeal, don't worry about putting it on eBay.

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
Seems like a lot of them out there...but at $19.00 and shipping...You might even make a few bucks on it with a good write-up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy