Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elc monarch and rough wear A-2s.

Edward

Bartender
I'm a bit of apot bellied shape myself, and I have one of Aero's seal goat A2s. Very comfy. I wear a 42 or a 44 in a modern suit jacket... basically whichever gives me about a 46" chestvto the jacket itself round the armpits. The goat Aero A2 in a 42 is ideal. Roomier than my 30s halfbelt or even Bootlegger without being "baggy". I was fortunate enough to find mine on eBay for about GBP200. They do turn up from time to time on there, so could be a good option if you're not in a hurry.

Nothing much to add to this topic other than to say that I live in Beckenham, if either of you see someone locally wearing a Highwayman in cordovan say hello.

I have a fifties halfbelt deluxe on order but am considering changing my order to one of Aero's A-2s, I think the jacket I have on order may be a bit too similar to what I already have. Any suggestions as to which of Aero's various A-2s would best suit someone with a bit of a beer belly? I am not particularly concerned with getting an authentic reproduction, just a well made jacket.

lol well, I think jackets that have knits are more forgiving, but which A2 is kinda up to you. Your biggest choice aside from the model (and maker) is between the two major colors and hides. Russet/Seal, and Horse/Goat. You can get either of the two in combination and there are quite a few contracts. If you want one more "generously" cut for the gut, Gibson & Barnes, Cockpit, and others are the mid-range price wise and more bigger cuts. When your get to Aero, LW, RMNZ, GW, they tend to make things more true to contract. While you might be able to get it customized to um, flatter the midsection, you might be better off with an off the shelf model. I suppose it all depends on how much mid-section we're talking about? Is is mild/moderate/severe? Not trying to embarrass you, just getting an idea of what your shape is... :)

I'm a bit of apot bellied shape myself, and I have one of Aero's seal goat A2s. Very comfy. I wear a 42 or a 44 in a modern suit jacket... basically whichever gives me about a 46" chestvto the jacket itself round the armpits. The goat Aero A2 in a 42 is ideal. Roomier than my 30s halfbelt or even Bootlegger without being "baggy". I was fortunate enough to find mine on eBay for about GBP200. They do turn up from time to time on there, so could be a good option if you're not in a hurry.

The 30's HB's I've seen are all for very trim fellas. The 50's jackets are more generous and would likely be fine. I in fact ordered and designed my Aero 50's Half Belt deluxe when I was over 35 pounds heavier than I am now. That frankly played a piece in my decision. I contemplated not getting that model once I lost the weight, but decided I really liked the look. I have an Aero FWHH HG-5 that is of the same ilk, and it would easily cover up some slippage in the midsection with no problem. My A2's and G1's would not be as forgiving, but I think that's due to buying them after I lost most of that weight. Bottom line for me was that I needed to lose the poundage, and now as a bonus, clothes look good again. No soapbox, just my experience...

smoz

One of the Regulars
lol well, I think jackets that have knits are more forgiving, but which A2 is kinda up to you. Your biggest choice aside from the model (and maker) is between the two major colors and hides. Russet/Seal, and Horse/Goat. You can get either of the two in combination and there are quite a few contracts. If you want one more "generously" cut for the gut, Gibson & Barnes, Cockpit, and others are the mid-range price wise and more bigger cuts. When your get to Aero, LW, RMNZ, GW, they tend to make things more true to contract. While you might be able to get it customized to um, flatter the midsection, you might be better off with an off the shelf model. I suppose it all depends on how much mid-section we're talking about? Is is mild/moderate/severe? Not trying to embarrass you, just getting an idea of what your shape is... :)

Thanks for the advice Butte and Edward.

My natural frame is fairly slim, but my love of food, wine and beer have added what I would describe as a moderate mid section. I find that a 42 inch chest suit jacket fits as long as it isn't too slim cut. My Highwayman is a size 42 and fits me fairly well, see previous thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?59082-Highwayman-Cordovan-fit-pics-and-questions-regarding-my-second-Aero&highlight=

Rather than me further hijacking this particular thread, I will start a new one in a day or two's time once I have thought through my options. I will also send Amanda the fit pics of my Highwayman, and seek her advice, I have learned that trusting in her instinct is worthwhile.

@smoz: Heck, that's nothin'! :)
An A2 will will great on you. It always helps to lose the gut, but I felt I looked OK even with the extra pounds and an A2. OTOH, a G1 won't cover a gut, and I don't think a 30's styled half belt would either. There are lots of jackets that will work for your build. You're certainly not extreme enough to worry. Just stay away from the ultra-trim models and you'll be OK. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24