Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elizabeth Taylor Passes Away at 79.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
She gets her own thread.

Obituary at CNN here.

A magnificently beautiful woman. And a life lived all the way up.

elizabeth-taylor1.jpg

Hours before he died, Richard Burton wrote her a letter. Though he had remarried, he again expressed his undying love for her, and his hope that they might somehow be together again.
She received it after his death, and kept it by her bedside for her remaining days.

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
Scotrace - That story about Richard Burton and the letter he wrote made me cry, how incredibly sad. It was always a tragedy that they could never make it work together, when they were clearly so in love with each other. The sappy romantic in me likes to think that they're together now.

Elizabeth was always one of my favourite actresses, so talented and of course, beautiful.

They just don't make them like her anymore. :(

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
What a beautiful, sophisticated woman. So sad, but I hope she is now resting in peace. Her health just wasn't very good these last few years.

I love the romance between Liz and Richard Burton - and the letter...oh my. Makes the tears well. There is a new book out about their romance - I think it's called Furious Love.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
She was an awesome beauty, a better actress than is often recognized, a unique, bigger-than-life individualist, and nearly the last of the old-school movie stars.

I'm really sorry to hear she's gone - I always felt some kind of kinship with her because we shared the same birthday (2/27)...

Dan'l

Practically Family
I'm at work and having trouble focussing. She is one celeb that I had always hoped to meet someday... perhaps someday...

Death is a part of life but knowing that doesn't make it any easier.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Elizabeth Taylor RIP 3/23/11

:( sorry if I didn't attach this to the other thread on passings but a woman like this deserves a thread all her own.

I am speechless.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Just heard the news - so sad. I thought she was a great actress - I don't think her abilities were that recognised. I watched her a few weeks ago in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - her performance just blew me away.

And what a beauty.....

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just heard the news - so sad. I thought she was a great actress - I don't think her abilities were that recognised. I watched her a few weeks ago in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - her performance just blew me away.

And what a beauty.....

I always found that movie amazing, because she let herself be "aged" by makeup in the movie. It takes a really confident person to go up on the big screen and have makeup artists put 30 years on you- especially when you are the beauty of the day. And that movie is powerful.

She really was "bigger than life" in many ways. I think one of her biggest contributions is that she helped to redefine "old age" for women in future decades.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Terribly sad, but blimey - what a life she had! It is said that it is better to regret something you have done than something you haven't. Liz can't have had many regrets.

rue

She gets her own thread.

Hours before he died, Richard Burton wrote her a letter. Though he had remarried, he again expressed his undying love for her, and his hope that they might somehow be together again.
She received it after his death, and kept it by her bedside for her remaining days.

Thank you Scott. I think she deserves it too.

It's so sad, but at least now they can finally be together again.

burtontaylora.jpg

Liz_Taylor_and_Richard_Burton_-_photo_by_Douglas_Kirkland.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails