Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elle's No Makeup Issue

Smuterella

One Too Many
after an exhilarating night I'd certainly still have my make up on. My exes have liked the occasional dishevelled morning look, thankfully!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Men (well, this man at least) don't relish waking up to a face smudged by makeup and mascara. The night before is the night before; but the morning is a fresh, new start, and we love to see the morning in our partner's face.
Smuterella said:
after an exhilarating night I'd certainly still have my make up on. My exes have liked the occasional dishevelled morning look, thankfully!
Hahaha I think I'm a good girl if I bring condoms, I didn't know I had to bring my cold cream too! :p

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I always cleanse first. If a guy can't hold his ........ for the 20 seconds it takes me to cleanse, then he ain't worth keeping. A good test, eh? Haha. lol Just kidding. Sorry, I'll be good now. This is, after all, The Fedora Lounge.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Sorry, let's get back on track. CheshireKat, I enjoyed your post, as well as the site you linked to. Looking at the before pic, I would never have guessed that her body and hands "needed" retouching! As for her face, I'm sure flattering lighting would have helped.
CheshireKat said:
* No ad agency or magazine will use the old trickery of an army of make-up artists, lighting techs, and camera angles without then radically changing the image for publication. It's no longer enough to be considered conventionally beautiful and immaculately presented - now you must be digitally overhauled. This page by retoucher Greg Apodaca graphically illustrates the point. Roll the mouse over the images to see what I mean.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
On another note, does anyone know if the entire Elle photoshoot is available somewhere online? I cannot find it, and couldn't find the issue at the magazine stand today.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase said:
Here's the photo of Dita without makeup (the beauty mark is a tattoo):

2hghdti.png

Think she looks lovely.

Dita looks good, but I think she still has on lipstain/gloss and blush.
I prefer women in madeup, but in my defense, I see it as artistic. Less ,may be more to some, but I find it boring, myself. I'm not unlike a tattoo artist. When I see a woman with little makeup, I think of the could-bes.
I also love avant garde clothing and makeup. Some of it is just beautiful.

cecil

A-List Customer
I'm not sure why some people are so quick to say "oh they're clearly wearing foundation/lipstain/mascara"? Some women just have naturally gorgeous skin, naturally flushed lips and naturally full black lashes. I'm not one of these people, but my best friend is. she just rolls out of bed with pretty eyes, skin like Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca and naturally pink cheeks.
I don't think that Dita, Monica, Sophie or Eva are wearing makeup, I think they're just genetically fortunate women. I'm not 100% positive of course, because I wasn't at the photoshoot. But i'm not sure how people can say with so much confidence that they're for sure wearing foundation or whatever. The photographers would have had the best equipment around, it's very easy to make someone look great without makeup if the lighting is right. I'm by no means an oil painting and always have a zit or two but a photographer friend of mine snapped me sans slap and it looked great. Not because i actually looked good, but because it was a fantastic camera and the lighting was flattering!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Have you ever been on a movie set or a photo shoot? :rolleyes:

By definition, the cameras wash you out. If you went under the camera with nothing on at all, you'd look dead. Not to mention spot lighting and filters for better color balance. Film, hi def video, and HD photography are unforgiving, and very different from video camera and regular cameras. lol

LD

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Cherry Lips, I think I'm in love with you! :)

There are lots of things I am self-conscious about. The cellulite on my butt and thighs, my small chest, my skin without makeup. What do I do when I wake up next to someone special in the morning? Leave my shirt off, prance around in my underwear and don't put a stitch of makeup on. I KNOW in my heart of hearts that my insecurities are silly, which is why I ignore them and do anything BUT cover-up the things that bother me.

Being out in public, for the most part (except at the beach, maybe), I will wear make-up. But that's a bit different to me, since I am presenting myself to people that don't know me personally. Either way, I force myself to fake confidence if I'm not feeling it, just as an eff-you to today's beauty standards. Makeup or no makeup, I'm not a tall, skinny, fake tan blonde, and never will be. I'm just myself, take it or leave it. It's all I ever will be and if I don't like it, who will?

cecil

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:

There are lots of things I am self-conscious about. The cellulite on my butt and thighs, my small chest, my skin without makeup. What do I do when I wake up next to someone special in the morning? Leave my shirt off, prance around in my underwear and don't put a stitch of makeup on. I KNOW in my heart of hearts that my insecurities are silly, which is why I ignore them and do anything BUT cover-up the things that bother me.

Being out in public, for the most part (except at the beach, maybe), I will wear make-up. But that's a bit different to me, since I am presenting myself to people that don't know me personally. Either way, I force myself to fake confidence if I'm not feeling it, just as an eff-you to today's beauty standards. Makeup or no makeup, I'm not a tall, skinny, fake tan blonde, and never will be. I'm just myself, take it or leave it. It's all I ever will be and if I don't like it, who will?

Agree with the first paragraph totally! I'm exactly the same.

I don't bother with makeup during the week anymore but i fake confidence even if i'm feeling lousy as well.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
Honey, I love you too <3

pigeon toe said:

Keep on prancing! I'm my own cheerleader too, and it works wonders. There is a misogynist saying that goes You can never be too thin, too rich, or... (I don't remember the nonsense). I'll give you a better one: You can never have too much hubris! (That motto is for ladies only.)

cecil said:
Some women just have naturally gorgeous skin, naturally flushed lips and naturally full black lashes. I'm not one of these people, but my best friend is. she just rolls out of bed with pretty eyes, skin like Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca and naturally pink cheeks.
Ah yes, and some (young) men too... *drool*

cecil

A-List Customer
Yeop for sure, I just don't see how anyone could prove either way whether or not they were wearing makeup without actually having been there is all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy