Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELMC Californian vs. Aero Half Belt-Pros and Cons?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all the great feedback, guys! The weird pocket angle on the Californian would be a deal-breaker for me since I often use the pockets to keep my hands warm. Another model I've been considering is the ELMC Highway Star. Anyone own this one?

That's their newest design, it just came out in the last year. There's been some discussion, and a few try-ons, but I don't know that anyone's bought one yet. I like the design a lot and would love to pick one up at some point.

Cornelius

Practically Family
I like both jackets. I’ve never handled anything from ELMC but have plenty of Aero HB’s under my belt. I think the key deciding factor is probably how much you want to customize the fit and finish. I took the more generous cut of a 50’s HB base and changed the collar, cuffs and back config, liner etc. . To my knowledge ELMC does not allow for this level of customization. View attachment 194996 View attachment 194997 View attachment 194998
Both are very nice jackets but for the price I demand the type of options that Aero allows the customer to specify.

@ton312 what is the shoulder gusset arrangement you specified on that Aero '50s HB? Looks great - does it actually reduce the batwing effect & help with arm dexterity though?

@ton312 what is the shoulder gusset arrangement you specified on that Aero '50s HB? Looks great - does it actually reduce the batwing effect & help with arm dexterity though?
It’s CR style gussets with a traditional western yoke. I have found that Aero has improved the gusset design, making them more functional than they used to be. That said, the 50’s pattern has lower arm holes than a typical CR, so the batwing effect, while quite minimal, is not completely eliminated.

MustangRider74

New in Town
I like both jackets. I’ve never handled anything from ELMC but have plenty of Aero HB’s under my belt. I think the key deciding factor is probably how much you want to customize the fit and finish. I took the more generous cut of a 50’s HB base and changed the collar, cuffs and back config, liner etc. . To my knowledge ELMC does not allow for this level of customization. View attachment 194996 View attachment 194997 View attachment 194998
Both are very nice jackets but for the price I demand the type of options that Aero allows the customer to specify.

MustangRider74

New in Town
Hi Ton312 the jacket looks great ! I see what you did to the cuffs and back of the jacket, what did you change on the collar ?

westportrich

One of the Regulars
I've owned both. They are both great and they are quite different. Never mind folks saying one is better quality than the other as they are both top tier quality. The main difference is weight. The Aero is quite a bit heavier and more burdensome to take on and off. It is well suited to colder weather. The ELMC is lighter, you'll throw it on and off. And, it has a better zipper. This jacket is wearable in any season (except super cold days). The choice is entirely up to you! *I actually like the ELMC more.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Are there any other comparable jackets out there? Looking myself for a great halfbelt...
Field Leathers Idaho
4E12E993-A57E-472F-8DFB-4EA6ECACC556.jpeg
ED07FF61-60F0-4986-A25F-433EBD0BFECD.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto