Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELMC Californian vs. Aero Half Belt-Pros and Cons?

If the hand warmer pockets on the ELMC Californian were not so high, I would already own the jacket. It is particularly pronounced on long version because the additional length is added below the pockets. For me, it is not a functionality issue, but rather, an aesthetic issue — to me eye, it just looks odd. If ELMC moved the pocket down, I’d buy one in a heart beat.
Agreed. Even a shift in the angle would help. Moving them more vertical. They are too high for the horizontal (ish) placement.

Not necessarily a deal breaker for me though as I do like the slim and really neat appearance of the jacket otherwise. I think it’s a perfect warmer weather HB.

ai00344

One of the Regulars
If the hand warmer pockets on the ELMC Californian were not so high, I would already own the jacket. It is particularly pronounced on long version because the additional length is added below the pockets. For me, it is not a functionality issue, but rather, an aesthetic issue — to me eye, it just looks odd. If ELMC moved the pocket down, I’d buy one in a heart beat.
I seem to remember reading the highish half belt is also accentuated on the long version and not as much an issue one the regular version. Perhaps @ProteinNerd could comment as I believe he’s had both versions?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Below, Walnut 40L next to Black 42R.

Not much difference in half belt position (or length really.) Main difference is in sleeve length.

a5caae6ffb84fd0df180c33b1861f0a8.jpg

Fonzie

One Too Many
I’ve got an Aero PHB in Black Vincenza (previously owned by @ProteinNerd ) and an ELMC Californian Havana brown.
Both are very similar in quality with the Eastman winning in attention to detail construction (feels more refined) and leather hand (drapes, looks and feels lighter and nicer).
The Aero is also top notch but the leather feels heavier and more hard wearing.
It’s hard to pick one but for warmer weather and looks I’d choose the ELMC and for a bit more of a daily all weather beater I’d choose the Aero, there's also a £300 difference in price I believe, so if that’s a factor, I don’t think the price gap justifies the quality.
They’re on a par pretty much.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, the back of these also comes off as not quite right to my eye and the seam running down the middle bugs me.

I thought the ELMC's were a thick 3oz bust soft hide. Vicenza is closer to 2.2oz - at least mine is.

Vezio

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,
I'm in the process of deciding my next leather jacket. I already have the Aero 1930s slim fit half-belt in brown FQHH that I purchased over 10 years ago. I'm debating between the ELMC Californian and another Aero slim fit half-belt. The color will be black and if I choose Aero, it will be in Vinceza leather. I want something lighter and more supple than the FQHH I already have. Between the two brands, how would you rate them on the following:
-Fit
-Construction
-Leather quality

Also, is Aero's premier range worth the additional cost? I was told by Aero that the premier range is slimmer with higher arm-holes; a feature that I like given that I have a trim, athletic build (36 chest, 28 waist).

Thanks for your feedback!
Hello,
I own an Aero 1930's Premier half-belt in black CXLFQHH, which I reviewed some time ago at the following link:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-premier-half-belt-review.92780/

I have no experience with jackets produced by Eastman, and my experience with "Vicenza" leather is limited to a little piece sent me by Holly.
I didn't particularly like it (although it is a leather produced in my country :)), as I find it too "uniform" in grain and color compared to FQHH.
I also own an Aero A2 Bronco jacket in Jerky Horsehide: I would recommend you to consider this leather for your jacket: it has a beautiful grain and coloration, very natural, and does not require any softening process (nothing to do with in the FQHH!).
I think that this leather, combined with a light cotton lining, would be perfect for a jacket to wear both in spring and in autumn (A2 jackets were designed as summer military clothing, in this configuration).

I hope I have been helpful to you.
Vezio.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I’ve got an Aero PHB in Black Vincenza (previously owned by @ProteinNerd ) and an ELMC Californian Havana brown.
Both are very similar in quality with the Eastman winning in attention to detail construction (feels more refined) and leather hand (drapes, looks and feels lighter and nicer).
The Aero is also top notch but the leather feels heavier and more hard wearing.
It’s hard to pick one but for warmer weather and looks I’d choose the ELMC and for a bit more of a daily all weather beater I’d choose the Aero, there's also a £300 difference in price I believe, so if that’s a factor, I don’t think the price gap justifies the quality.
They’re on a par pretty much.

Can you confirm the fact that Vicenza is still heavier than ELMC leather?
What is the weight of these two jackets?

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
The Californian I tried were both underwhelming and great at the same time. Underwhelming in the sense that it felt extremely light, almost like wearing a structured cotton field shirt or something and I also felt the leather was a little underwhelming straight out of the gate. The fit was probably one of the most comfortable I've ever found and I felt the action back really helped for movement. It also looks somewhat pre-distressed and vintage which I like. I'm pretty torn between this and a 30's Half-Belt myself as I like the more practical details of the Aero, but not sure the Vicenza would live up to my expectations when it comes to the leather. And I love the fit and luxurious nature of the Californian, but might feel it would be a bit "brittle" for me.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Can you confirm the fact that Vicenza is still heavier than ELMC leather?
What is the weight of these two jackets?
sorry I can’t help right now as I have never weighed them before and the PHB is now packed away for the hot months here in Oz, the ELMC is still in wardrobe so that’s a sign.
I own two Vincenza jackets, the PHB is black from one of the first batches of this leather at Aero and feels thicker and heavier than the other one, a blackened brown Buco style Board Racer. They both have wool tartan lining so maybe that adds to the weight, no idea.
The newer Vincenza blackened brown is probably closer to the ELMC horsehide, but still feels thicker by the touch.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I love the collar of the ELMC, but IMO, if you want that collar, I personally would pick a Freewheelers Mulholland over that jacket. You could of course call me biased as half of my leather jackets are Mulhollands and that would be fair. However, I do agree with the pocket placement issues that others have voiced.

I would also say that your needs matter. Differences in weight/warmth should be considered as mentioned.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
I love the collar of the ELMC, but IMO, if you want that collar, I personally would pick a Freewheelers Mulholland over that jacket. You could of course call me biased as half of my leather jackets are Mulhollands and that would be fair. However, I do agree with the pocket placement issues that others have voiced.

I would also say that your needs matter. Differences in weight/warmth should be considered as mentioned.
If money was no object I would agree completely. Chest and handwarmerpocket placement is a lot better IMO and all the pics I've seen (apart from Terry's walnut brown californian) the leather looks better than both Eastman and Aero.

westportrich

One of the Regulars
I love my ELMC Californian. In my view and personal preference for several reasons...It is easier on and off because of it's light weight and rayon liner...I like mid-weight leather jackets as they tend to drape better and feel more comfortable to wear...I find the quality and general refinement of the ELMC craftsmanship to be a touch better than the Aero...I prefer the style and collar. At the end of the day, you can't make a bad choice here.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Ive owned a few Eastmans and a few Aeros.. and there is a difference in the jackets produced by each maker... the only way for you to decide which is better is to try both.. since that is fairly impractical. Ill repeat what was already said.
if you can fit the off the rack Eastman.. buy it
If you need to or desire some customization.. your choice is Aero..

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I've owned a couple of ELMC Californians. I too love the collar. Some pointed that out. The overall jacket is very reminiscent of a vintage half belt; light weight, that 30s collar, the easy wearing style. I've got other cool jackets with odd pockets. Pockets which don't get used. Nice compliment to a heavier jackets you my own.

My Cali jackets were both brown. I now have a ELMC Windward in black. The Black is my favorite and the fit and finish are stunning.

Thuggee

Practically Family
sorry I can’t help right now as I have never weighed them before and the PHB is now packed away for the hot months here in Oz, the ELMC is still in wardrobe so that’s a sign.
I own two Vincenza jackets, the PHB is black from one of the first batches of this leather at Aero and feels thicker and heavier than the other one, a blackened brown Buco style Board Racer. They both have wool tartan lining so maybe that adds to the weight, no idea.
The newer Vincenza blackened brown is probably closer to the ELMC horsehide, but still feels thicker by the touch.

ELMC Californian 1.5kg

Aero Sunburst/half belt Black/ Brown Vicenza 1.7kg

So very similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
They both have wool tartan lining so maybe that adds to the weight, no idea.

I actually think the cotton is heavier and denser than the wool (light tartan) - having owned both. But the wool may be warmer. I can't tell as yet. I have worn both my cotton lined and wool lined jackets in warmer weather and they seem to feel about the same.

sammy

New in Town
Thanks for all the great feedback, guys! The weird pocket angle on the Californian would be a deal-breaker for me since I often use the pockets to keep my hands warm. Another model I've been considering is the ELMC Highway Star. Anyone own this one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21