Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELMC Windward Alternatives

turgut

New in Town
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, it feels exciting to be here!

I recently got interested in vintage leather jacket reproductions and the Windward in American Walnut by ELMC caught my eye particularly. It really captures that slick and aggressive motorcyclist leather jacket look but with a more elegant and softer side to it due to the brown leather and 40's design elements. In short: it's just what I have been looking for!

However, the price makes it kind of out of my league. So I wondered if there are any brands which produce alternatives that capture the same aforementioned vibe without breaking the bank?

PS: I know about the vintage leather jacket forum, but the site is under maintenance so it seems that I can't register to it for now.

Any help and suggestions would be welcome!

Regards

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi, Welcome.

Thedi has similar looking jackets, he does the undercover cross zip pretty well.
I would recommend looking for a used ELMC though, it s a really nice jacket, great wool liner.
Be aware it's not a versatile jacket because of that, it is very warm and only wearable during the colder months.
I bought two of them used (one black one brown) and paid 800$ for the black one and 850$ for the brown one, both where virtually unworn.
They do come up reasonably often for sale.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Vanson Raid:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Vanson Raid:

I forgot about that one!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Vanson Gambler, exclusive through Thurston Bros. It's the same shell as the Raid, but with some nicer leather options and lining options that would let you keep the softer, more upscale aesthetic that you want.

Used elmc is great, but they come up rarely.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
I considered the Raider before buying my Windward. The Vanson will probably be a much more practical jacket, with better pockets and protection of those as the pockets on the Windward is quite shallow and you only have a zip on the patch pocket. The chestpocket is virtually useless being both too shallow and uzippered. The fit of the windward is also extremely fitted through the back on me with the very high halfbelt. The quality of the jacket is great, but with some questionable details which are all about practicality.

Availability used seems much better for the black over the brown which I seldom see for sale.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Windward fit pics:

XRiKuwA.jpg

sOGXiY9.jpg

YoryQr0.jpg

Personally i haven't had any problems with the pockets, i think they do the job.
My only real problem with the jacket is that the lining makes it a winter jacket, but the leather isn't weatherproof which is IMO a bit contradictory. I think it would be a more useful jacket if it was waterproof and warm rather than just warm.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
My only real problem with the jacket is that the lining makes it a winter jacket, but the leather isn't weatherproof which is IMO a bit contradictory.

Lol I've never heard you having problems with your deerskin or hh Labrea not being weatherproof (while they're supposed to be mc jackets). More contradictories :)

Non of my modern jackets are weatherproof in that sense (because they're all made from vegetable tanned leather). Yet I have 0 problems wearing them in the winter. I don't need my jackets to withstand heavy downpours.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
Windward fit pics:

XRiKuwA.jpg

sOGXiY9.jpg

YoryQr0.jpg

Personally i haven't had any problems with the pockets, i think they do the job.
My only real problem with the jacket is that the lining makes it a winter jacket, but the leather isn't weatherproof which is IMO a bit contradictory. I think it would be a more useful jacket if it was waterproof and warm rather than just warm.
Yeah! I'm VERY picky about my pockets:D The lining works great for spring and autumn a further few degrees up north. Probably my most worn jacket this spring until I got my Schott.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Lol I've never heard you having problems with your deerskin or hh Labrea not being weatherproof (while they're supposed to be mc jackets). More contradictories :)

Non of my modern jackets are weatherproof in that sense (because they're all made from vegetable tanned leather). Yet I have 0 problems wearing them in the winter. I don't need my jackets to withstand heavy downpours.

I do complain about my LaBreas not being weatherproof!
I have said multiple times that for me the Freewheelers where "dress jackets" not really funcional jackets and that i would never wear either on the bike.
To me they are jackets i wear when "going out", not every day jackets.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
The Windward /Arrow / Gambler / Raid has long been on my list…a very cool design

Good luck with whichever route you go OP

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Windward fit pics:

XRiKuwA.jpg

sOGXiY9.jpg

YoryQr0.jpg

Carlos you really are the fit GOAT.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Here is an original Windward and a ELMC Windward. I don't know about the other possibilities, but the ELMC Windward was a fine jacket. I sold the ELMC after getting an original. Worth saving for. They haven't seemed too popular on the used market, but haven't seen one lately.

1654026460149.jpeg
1654026493309.jpeg
1654026531136.jpeg
1654026589443.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Here is an original Windward and a ELMC Windward. I don't know about the other possibilities, but the ELMC Windward was a fine jacket. I sold the ELMC after getting an original. Worth saving for. They haven't seemed too popular on the used market, but haven't seen one lately.

View attachment 429986 View attachment 429987 View attachment 429988 View attachment 429989

Interresting that the real one has a zipper on the chest pocket but not the repro.
I wonder if originals came both way?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Interresting that the real one has a zipper on the chest pocket but not the repro.
I wonder if originals came both way?

Some also have side adjustment straps and light linings. Mine is probably later model with gathered sides. it also has a quilt lining in body and sleeves. I think the ELMC has a zipper on the big pocket? I don't recall for sure. This original does not have a zipper on the big pocket. They could very well come both ways.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I had the ELMC Windward in black, awesome jacket and beautiful leather, I regret letting it go but the one thing that annoyed me was that the sleeves were a bit too short and the underarm football gussets too wide for my taste, but everything else was perfect.
I replaced it with a Vanson Gambler and never looked back, it’s super comfortable and practical and it will out last cockroaches and zombies after the Apocalypse, Vanson guarantee.

I like the Vanson gambler too. But beware, the sleeves are drain pipes. Seems exceedingly hard to get a decent sleeve diameter out of most makers. I had two gamblers and sold them both because the sleeves were just entirely too trim. When I bent my arms in this jacket I felt like I might faint.
B32DB1B8-26C3-43D5-9577-B3C7CC2A11DF.jpeg

That said, otherwise a fantastic piece. Definitely a trim fit.

Fonzie

One Too Many
That’s true, the sleeves are very trim, but that’s one of the positives for me as well, as I’m a slim fellow.
I wish I had bigger guns though… :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner