Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elusive Tan Shoe Polish

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Is it just me or is tan shoe polish really tough to find? I have been to several pharamacies, supermarkets, and whatnot over the last few weeks and all they ever have are black, brown, and neutral.

Today, in Rite Aid, I saw white and navy. I was astounded! Are white and navy really more popular than tan???

Many of my shoes are tan. My favorite shoes are tan. Many of the shoes I see in stores are tan. Why is it so hard to find polish for them?

I ended up buying some on-line, but come on people...

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
Yes! There was one bottle of navy cream, which was just totally off the wall.

Carter, have you posted those shoes?

Hmmm you can find the navy polish and i can't find the navy shoes... ??? Odd!!!

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Ok this got me to thinking.. Oh yes a bit scarey!!
Are you looking to polish your shoes with cream or make them shinier?
Cause i use a product called Instant Shin. It's made by Penquin...
It comes a blue plastic contaer and there is a spong inside the lid.. It's colourless so you can clean and shine any colour of shoe.. It works on vinyl or leather...
Here is one version... The one i have comes in a blue container and has a small picture of a high heel shoe on the top.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001339CJI
I even had the smaller travel versions too. Just stick one in your suitcase, car, desk, etc.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have these pair of wingtip boots I picked up in Venice and I am particularly hard on them. They have cuts and scrapes that need to be filled. No superficial shine would do, sadly.

In November, I am staying in the same neighborhood where I bought these, in Rialto, so I am hoping they still have them in the little shop where I bought them. Then I'll have two!

dnjan

One Too Many
Have you tried a shoe-repair place? Sometimes they will have a better assortment of colours.

jph712

New in Town
And don't forget...

Western Wear places are great for shoe/boot care products. The western wear place here in town has the best selection of shoe polish colors, and they are available in larger sized containers, as it takes more polish for a pair of boots than a pair of shoes. The people working the Western Wear places also know which are the better shoe repair places as well, I have found.

JPH712

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As others mentioned, I've had no trouble if I hit the local western boot emporium or shoe repair shop. Any out of the ordinary color they don't have I would assume they'd be able to order and have for me in a few days.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Like Cookie said, no trouble down this neck of the woods. Good old Kiwi shoe polish is available in tan here. If you have real problems, it's no trouble to put a tin in the post. Just say the word.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for all of the kind offers! Certainly if I had not already bought some online, I would be hitting you fellows up. Thank you so much!

I think a western boot shop is a great option. I'm not sure we have one here in Boston, but we probably do. The shoe repair places I know don't sell polish. I guess they think it's cannibalizing their businesses! And they are tiny holes in the wall.

Surprisingly, CVS offered to order it for me.

Bern, good call on the cordovan. They must have had it, but I cannot recall.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
Yes! There was one bottle of navy cream, which was just totally off the wall.
Carter, have you posted those shoes?

Tom, Here they are. A pair of Cole Haan beige and blue saddles in size 10 for $15.00. :D

Picture%20037.jpg
Picture%20038.jpg

Picture%20039.jpg
Picture%20040.jpg

Picture%20041.jpg
Picture%20036.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Love the saddle shoes, Carter!

Mr Jones, if I may throw a curve-ball your way.... Something I have found invaluable is Kiwi brand 'neutral' shoe polish. I find that brown toned shoes in general can often be harder to match a polish colour to, and spectators, especially brogue-style, can be a right pain to work with different-colour polishes on. Neutral polish seems to give my shoes all the 'feeding' they need, though I would still try to use a specific colour on them if there was a particularly bad scuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran