Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emo - Tranlation problems???

The real Henry

Practically Family
I'm asking myself if the word emo means the same in English as in German, since it's actually an English word?

Here in Germany Emo is a word for people who always wear black, generally think life is bad and listen to music with sad, melancholy lyrics.

Is it the same in the English-speaking parts of the world?

Emo, the natural successor of grunge. I quite like the movement/scene, with its tacit acceptance of how pointless and depressing life is. I think the bands - finally embracing the darker elements of existentialism - are a cut above the standard "rock", "punk" or "pop" crud with which we are normally assailed.

(honestly, i'm not kidding)

bk

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
I hate it. Once again, well-fed suburban kids looking for a way to tell us all how unhappy they are.
That's why I like the name of Henry's band so much. What instrument do you play, Henry?

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Emo, the natural successor of grunge. I quite like the movement/scene, with its tacit acceptance of how pointless and depressing life is. I think the bands - finally embracing the darker elements of existentialism - are a cut above the standard "rock", "punk" or "pop" crud with which we are normally assailed.

(honestly, i'm not kidding)

bk

I think a lot of it gets a bad press. It seems to me that it's not all about expressing the negative range of emotions only; and even if these are vented, it's not always in the "look at me, I'm going to KILL myself and I hate you all!" petulant way that is typically suggested. Certainly, though, there's the stuff too that does live up to the stereotypes (well, stereotypes tend to have to come from somewhere!). But hey, there only are two types of music in the end - good and bad. ;)

Edward

Bartender
patrick1987 said:
I hate it. Once again, well-fed suburban kids looking for a way to tell us all how unhappy they are.

Better a guitar than a shot gun..... and hey, it's got to be healthier than gangsta rap and the tedious glorification of the dumb, "real man" criminality that that genre tends to eulogise.

$ally

One Too Many
Emo from "emotional" and then there is also Screamo and so on. Sorry, but it's like any other angst you can buy at the mall Hot Topic.

lolli

New in Town
$ally said:
Emo from "emotional" and then there is also Screamo and so on. Sorry, but it's like any other angst you can buy at the mall Hot Topic.

Emo has become a hugely popular cliche. It is a bad representation of what it used to be. Emo is a subgenre of punk rock. If you listened to the emo of 10 years ago, it would be unrecognizable. It sounded much more like punk rock than the emo of today. It was basically emotional punk rock.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Better a guitar than a shot gun..... and hey, it's got to be healthier than gangsta rap and the tedious glorification of the dumb, "real man" criminality that that genre tends to eulogise.

I think that's unkind to gangster rap.

Feathers

Familiar Face
Perhaps if gangsta rap were more kind to people (specifically women) and didn't use such vile language, it wouldn't get such a bad rap. (oooh, bad pun - sorry guys! :eusa_doh:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot