Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

End of Manual-Transmission Era - Honda Accord

Edward

Bartender
I wish Ford would bring back the 1926 - ‘27 Tall T with their 3.50L Coyote engine & 4-wheel disc brakes, but it ain’t gonna happen. They call that progress in the name of safety.

View attachment 458768

I live in the vain hope that at some point we'll have the perfect combination of something with a "vintage look" that actually does look vintage (as opposed to a jellymould that sort of replicates a vintage shape if you really squint and cross your eyes.... Yes, Volkswagen, I'm talking about you here), but is either electric or hydrogen fuel cell powered. The latter seems in some ways better than electric, though there's even less provision for refuelling points. I imagine, as ever, we'll see the format wars winner being what is better for the business end, rather than the better tech. (Otherwise, VHS would have been Betamax...).

Funny thing, though, when I drove - which I avoided like the plague, as I hated it - I preferred the manual by far. Only thing that made me more antsy than an autobox was power steering. Totally hated the combo of both - never felt properly in control of the car at all.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Interesting thread. In 2012 my old Honda had a quarter million miles, so it was time for a new car. I knew I wanted a manual and first look to Hondas, but I didn't care for the ones I test drove at the time. They'd lost some of their fun.

I looked at some entry-level luxury brands, as I was finally in a position to afford one, and almost convinced myself to buy a BMW328i, but then I test drove a Mazda 3 and bought that instead. I still have it.

As much as I love driving the manual, though, I'm increasingly conscious of the environmental costs, even though mine is more reasonable than many (including the current version of the same model). I'm also not driving nearly as much as I used to.

So now I'm thinking my last manual car will also be my last gasoline one.

But I'm hoping to keep the Mazda for a while yet and using other modes of transportation when I can. I've also become more of a bicycle geek. I'd like to be able to use the bike for more everyday things, but that's pretty risky as I need to go on rural US state highways about everywhere. I recently got my motorcycle endorsement, but don't have a motorcycle, and am interested to see how e-motorcycles evolve.

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
My last manual transmission car was a 2004 Mini Cooper S. It had a six speed and was great fun to drive. The turbo charger made it even better and more fun. Alas, those days are behind us as arthritis prevented us from entering and exiting the car. Traded away for a Mazda CX-5 which is much easier to enter and exit.

Last edited:

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
My mechanic told me of a client that took his work pick-up to a tire store to get new sneaker for it. Dropped it off and went back to his shop. Thirty minutes later tire store calls. He sees the caller id and gleefully answers expecting to pick up his truck after super fast service only to have the manager ask him to move his truck into the bay because nobody can drive stick. This is less than inspirational.

To me this is life's cruelest aspect.....at the point in my life I can afford an impractical expensive low slung sports car........I am no longer able to get in nor out of one. I have reached the point it is a high slung SUV or nothing.
My last manual transmission car was a 2004 Mini Cooper S. It had a six speed and was great fun to drive. The turbo charger made it even better and more fun. Alas, those days are behind us as arthritis prevented us from entering and exiting the car. Traded away for a Mazda CX-5 which is much easier to enter and exit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points