Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

John_Z

Familiar Face
Ironheart Wesco 1930s in Domain Brown and custom roller buckles:)
14947401_10209840642885121_7400956190710649828_n.jpg
Congrats. Very nice boots indeed.

John_Z

Familiar Face
Well, it's been three years, and I finally broke down and got a new pair of boots. Kids do have a way of limiting your disposable income - funny how that works! :)

This was kind of an accident - I called Kyle at Baker's to ask about availability on a leather that Wesco was using, and ended up ordering a pair of White's.....again. :) Four pairs doesn't constitute a problem, right? I have been wanting a pair of two-tone engineer boots for a long time (I wore cowboy boots for years, so I kind of like the two-tone thing). I wasn't planning on making an order that day, but Kyle agreed to ask one more time if White's would make me a two tone pair. Well, after four years of hearing "NO!", they finally relented and agreed to do it!!

After some back and forth (ie, a call from me changing the order after it was placed) we ended up going with Burgundy Chromexcel with just the shaft being British Tan.
I have been trying to make a pair that look like the two tone RRL's that came out a few years ago - they look like this:

Well, 3 weeks and 3 days later (my shortest wait ever), the boots showed up. They turned out beautiful!! The leather is gorgeous - both the Chromexcel and the British tan leathers are thicker than expected. The boots cup the heel (and pinch inward) more than the last pair I bought, and the shaft has a nice taper to it. They still go on and off easily, but the fit is really impressive at the heel.

So the elephant in the room is that the contrast of the colors is not as much as I hoped for. That being said, White's built them exactly as I asked, and they are BEAUTIFUL, so they're staying regardless, and it's hard to be disappointed for long when the end result is this good. I just can't complain about these - Kyle was extremely patient and accommodating, and White's did a great job.

I have large feet (size 13), so this time I opted for a single stitch welt (close trim), and I think it was the right choice. I love the standard double stitch welt, but with how big my feet are, it's nice to have the profile look a bit smaller. Other than this, they have my normal favorite features - Vibram Composition Half soles, double leather midsoles, standard heel height, and "natural" stain on the heels and sides of the midsoles. I am really happy with these, and they are definitely keepers.

Keep in mind, if you want to order a two tone pair of Nomads, White's will generally try to make the foot, heel, and instep strap one color, and everything above it (shaft, backstay, calf strap) the other color. What I asked for is non-standard for them, so if you want something like this, you need to be VERY specific.

• Burgundy Chromexcel with British Tan on Shaft ONLY
  • Vibram Composition Half Soles
  • Double leather midsoles
  • "Natural" stain on the heels and sides of the midsole
  • Standard curved heel and heel height

Wow I've never seen those RRL's. I'd sell my soul to own a pair of those.

Loving those White's too. The brand next on my want list.

John_Z

Familiar Face
After one week of wear. Loving it!
12fc938f7b5d7b4445d9b1ef8096ed3f.jpg
Damn you just when I thought I had enough pairs to keep me happy you go & dangle these in front of me :)
Absolutely beautiful. Tell me, do you wear your jeans cuffed that short or is this just for the sake of the picture?

Damienos74

New in Town
LOL I was sitting down actually. And perish that thought...there's no such thing as too many boots. :)

Damn you just when I thought I had enough pairs to keep me happy you go & dangle these in front of me :)
Absolutely beautiful. Tell me, do you wear your jeans cuffed that short or is this just for the sake of the picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_Z

Familiar Face
Oh right, that wasn't obvious from the pic. Just wondered as I'd love to show off more boot but have never felt comfortable that I could get away with the legs of my jeans short enough to do it.

After my last post I checked these out on Ironheart's website. Luckily for my bank balance they're out of stock in my size LOL.

Oh and you try telling my Wife there's no such thing as too many pairs of boots.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy