Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Creeping Past, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

C4C7FEEA-7A7D-462E-B3C0-1947A694985A.jpeg WIWT

2. Edward

Edward Bartender

Nice. I wodner if the red bit at the top is a nod to Lewis Leathers' boots?

Sloan1874 likes this.
  3. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

I've been trying on different Engineer styled boots, how the heck do you get rid of the heel lift in these things while still being able to extract your foot from them!?

This is the main reason I've stayed away from them since the cowboy boot days of 2nd grade...
    Without some kind of kick-strap over the ankle I just don't see how they work without causing problems and blisters...

4. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

You don't. You get a small amount lift at first, which reduces as the sole begins to conform to your feet. I've started breaking in a pair of Red Wing 2268s this week and after a bit of fiddling with the lower strap, they now grip my feet reasonably comfortably - still a bit of pinching but that'll fade - with just a small amount of lift that is already barely noticeable. I think a month of regular wear and they'll be just dandy.

Dm101 and Bfd70 like this.
  5. andy b.

andy b. One of the Regulars

Dm101,

As Sloan said, you really never get rid of it. I have a pair of Wescos that I thought had too much lift and would cause problems. I figured I may as well wear them and see what happens. They are fairly well broken in, but still have noticeable heel lift. I've worn them on day trips to various cities where I've walked almost 10 miles and they were extremely comfortable. I do wear relatively thick wool socks with them.

Dm101 likes this.
  6. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

Thank you for the intel gentlemen.
    Once I find a pair that fit snugly enough to not slip around too much if I have to run or climb...I'll be good to go.
    Also for less than a pair of Doc 1460s...

7. regius

regius One Too Many

please do share photos.

8. regius

regius One Too Many

Robbie79, do be careful about the RMC boots, you may not be able to actually put them on, seriously. I have slim bone and small foot, I can squeeze in most pull on boots including the very tight RRL Julian, but I tried the RMC in their Manhattan store and it was a show, futile and I ended up giving up and walked out. The instep/shaft corner is way too tight, built for very slim Asian ankles and foot.

Dm101 likes this.
  9. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I agree that the look of a slimmer shaft is appealing, but when getting them on and off I'm thankful for the wider shaft of my Frye's.

Dm101 likes this.
  10. regius

regius One Too Many

Yes, the standard boss toe is roomy. Try ACE, Lone Wolf, they are all roomy, also the Whites Nomad with a toe box. To be honest, most engineer makers started offering different toe shapes since 30s, Red Wing started offering steel toe in the 40s. So the slim flat toe profile is not "typical" of the 30s-50s, round toe shapes did exist.

Bfd70 likes this.
  11. Edward

Edward Bartender

Almost all engineers are a fit or so wide for me; I find a decent, arch-supporting insole sorts that out very swiftly. My first engineers - a heavy pair of Grinders with steel toe and uber-chunky command sole - used to blister me stupid if I walked any distance in them for years; tried a thick, comfort-rubber insole, and that solved it overnight.

Dm101 likes this.
  12. bluesmandan

bluesmandan One of the Regulars

By “heel lift” do you fellas mean heel slip?

I find I get less heel slip with the engineer than I do with other slip on boots. I can use the strap to tighten up the instep and that does the trick.

I have a wide foot, but more in the forefoot than the ankle area, and wear an 8EEE or 8.5E. With regular slip on boots, if i can get my wide foot into the boot, then there ends up being too much room in the ankle area (heel slip becomes slop!). The engineer strap fixes that problem for me.

I loosen the strap to put the boot on, and then tighten it up once my foot is in. I also loosen the strap to remove the boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy b. and Dm101 like this.
  13. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

And that's the ultimate solution for me...the kick-strap. Whatever boot I buy HAS to have one.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

14. regius

regius One Too Many

RoleClub resoled Carolinas[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BobHufford, Dm101 and Bfd70 like this.
  15. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

I think I might be looking in the wrong place.
    These are high end boutique boots for multi-hundreds of dollars.
    I'm not that kinda guy to drop 500+ dollars of my money on something I'm going to be in the field with. Justifiable when the DoD is footing the bill...but I'm just not that green.
    Sorry guys...I'm out.
    *salute*

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BobHufford likes this.
  16. bluesmandan

bluesmandan One of the Regulars

My Chippewa engineers were only $160.

17. Edward

Edward Bartender

There are plenty of mid-price or lower alternatives - Chippewa, Frye, Sendra, TCX, Red Wing, Grinders.... but yes, as ever it's amazing how, if you don't set yourself a maximum, there really is no upper limit as to what you can spend on boots!

Dm101 likes this.
  18. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

Well if you use them in the field I wouldn’t spend nowhere near $500 either... I guess most people just where engineer boots to walk around town these days.

Dm101 and Edward like this.
  19. andy b.

andy b. One of the Regulars

What does "in the field" entail? If you're pouring roofing tar and kicking rocks all day, then I'd go cheap. If you're doing something that isn't going to destroy the uppers, I don't see why you wouldn't consider something up to the Whites or Wescos range. Part of my job would be considered construction work. I wear these to the job site, I take care of them, and I have some that are 5 years old, and I don't see why they won't last for 20 with some resoles at some point.

regius, Dm101 and bluesmandan like this.
  20. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

For me that entails setting up comms equipment for the Army in the desert, in forests and sometimes rooftops for point-to-point testing and mesh satellite network maintenance and testing. I go through boots pretty quickly, usually a pair a year. That's why I considered getting the engineer boots as leather is much tougher than the issued nylon boots I get. Plus the engineer boots look cool and fit "me" better. Well...they do in my mind since I haven't found a real pair to try on in my neck of the woods. I refuse to buy a pair online and go through all the returns and repurchases....ugh. I don't trust online sizing...

It's just...a frustrating experience. But if it were easy, everyone would be wearing them.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Woodtroll and andy b. like this.