Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Right. Engineer boots have only become fashionable in the last twenty or thirty years; before that, they were generally considered, when you saw them at all, as factory or construction wear. Bikers wore them for their solidity and protection. I picked up a pair of Carolinas in 1980 for about $15.00.

trapp

Practically Family
Engineer boots have been worn as fashion staples by non-bikers for longer than that. They were popular in large segments of American youth culture throughout the late 50s and 60s and you didn't need to ride a motorcycle. Everyone in Rebel Without a Cause (1955) is wearing them and it's not a biker movie at all.

They more or less fell out of general favor in the 70s, 80s, 90s (but held strong with bikers). And yeah, in the past two decades they've made a welcome comeback, esp. here in the States and Japan.

Either way, I love them, and I don't ride.

I love the color on these hand-dyed horsebutt boots:
IMG_6502.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Engineer boots have been worn as fashion staples by non-bikers for longer than that. They were popular in large segments of American youth culture throughout the late 50s and 60s and you didn't need to ride a motorcycle. Everyone in Rebel Without a Cause (1955) is wearing them and it's not a biker movie at all.

They more or less fell out of general favor in the 70s, 80s, 90s (but held strong with bikers). And yeah, in the past two decades they've made a welcome comeback, esp. here in the States and Japan.

Either way, I love them, and I don't ride.
I completely forgot how popular they'd been in the '50's and '60's: what I was thinking was that when I got that pair around 1980 I hadn't seen them in a while. I had a pair around 1970 that I mistakenly wore on my European expedition. After walking all over London for a few days I was fairly crippled. Then they got stomped on by a skinhead with hobnails at a football match - frustrating for the skinhead, though, as they had steel toes. The really funny thing was that the next day I was in a shoe shop and the salesman got all excited about my boots and offered me "anything in the shop" for them. So I took a pair of suede boots with crepe soles and 30 pounds for them, which paid for a charter flight to Ibiza with a senior-citizens' group. We sang "Torremolinos" all the way.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
I’m thinking of getting a pair of Wesco Boss... do you know if they are built with a good heel cup, or is the part where your heel actually sits in the boot flat? A good heel cup makes a boot so much more comfortable. My White’s semidress have a good heel cup and they are really comfy. It just cradles my heel perfectly. Will a Wesco? I may consider getting the nomad/cykel but i prefer the look of the Wesco 7400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
I’m thinking of getting a pair of Wesco Boss... do you know if they are built with a good heel cup, or is the part where your heel actually sits in the boot flat? A good heel cup makes a boot so much more comfortable. My White’s semidress have a good heel cup and they are really comfy. It just cradles my heel perfectly. Will a Wesco? I may consider getting the nomad/cykel but i prefer the look of the Wesco 7400.

I do believe it's a solid heel cup. My Wesco boots are the most comfortable footwear I own. They were made to measure for me but they are comfy. Email Wesco, they have incredible customer service and usually respond by days end.

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
I completely forgot how popular they'd been in the '50's and '60's: what I was thinking was that when I got that pair around 1980 I hadn't seen them in a while. I had a pair around 1970 that I mistakenly wore on my European expedition. After walking all over London for a few days I was fairly crippled. Then they got stomped on by a skinhead with hobnails at a football match - frustrating for the skinhead, though, as they had steel toes. The really funny thing was that the next day I was in a shoe shop and the salesman got all excited about my boots and offered me "anything in the shop" for them. So I took a pair of suede boots with crepe soles and 30 pounds for them, which paid for a charter flight to Ibiza with a senior-citizens' group. We sang "Torremolinos" all the way.

That is such a cool story. Love it! Thanks for sharing !

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
I do believe it's a solid heel cup. My Wesco boots are the most comfortable footwear I own. They were made to measure for me but they are comfy. Email Wesco, they have incredible customer service and usually respond by days end.

Solid? I’m not sure what you mean. The heel cup is the place on the insole where your heel sits inside the shoe. It can be a flat surface or it can be concave (i.e. cupped, to be more anatomically correct and comfortable). Are Wescos flat or cupped?

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Solid? I’m not sure what you mean. The heel cup is the place on the insole where your heel sits inside the shoe. It can be a flat surface or it can be concave (i.e. cupped, to be more anatomically correct and comfortable). Are Wescos flat or cupped?

My mistake. I do apologize. It's definitely concave in shape. It hugs the ankle.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
My mistake. I do apologize. It's definitely concave in shape. It hugs the ankle.

The ankle? I hope we’re talking about the same thing. I’m talking about the bottom of the heel, which supports your weight... the heel should sit down into a little bowl shape... instead of the insole under your heel feeling like a flat brick that you’re standing on. Some shoes are rather flat there and then you might buy an orthotic heelcup or heelseat to make a shoe more comfortable.

Hey if it isn’t too much trouble, shine a light inside the shaft and just take a picture inside the boot. Then I can see if it is flat or cupped. (Don’t want to get lost in semantics!)

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
The ankle? I hope we’re talking about the same thing. I’m talking about the bottom of the heel, which supports your weight... the heel should sit down into a little bowl shape... instead of the insole under your heel feeling like a flat brick that you’re standing on. Some shoes are rather flat there and then you might buy an orthotic heelcup or heelseat to make a shoe more comfortable.

Hey if it isn’t too much trouble, shine a light inside the shaft and just take a picture inside the boot. Then I can see if it is flat or cupped. (Don’t want to get lost in semantics!)

Now I get your meaning. I'll get a pic first thing in the morning.

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Here we go. Hope this helps. Feeling it with my hand it has a slight concave feeling but I wear them almost daily. It could be my foot did it over time. However they are my most comfortable boots too. To be fair they were made to measure for me as well. Most people do concur that even stock sized Wesco boots are very comfortable once broken in.

IMG_20181117_092123.jpg
Tok resizep.jpg
IMG_20181117_092231.jpg
IMG_20181117_092152.jpg

Chris7273

One of the Regulars
These boots were designed for static jobs and not for city trips but 5-6 miles is ok with my Wesco's. I can't walk more miles because they are heavy and quite rigid and it's tiring for the feet.
The socks make a huge difference : I have found that basic walking-trekking socks are the most comfortable

Goel

A-List Customer
I've only tried on a pair of Wesco 7400 but I found the heel cup too big in my size, I guess I could have sized down but I think it would have been too tight in the toes. I'm actually going with the custom fit option anyway since it's not a large upcharge.

For now I'm just doing some foot patrols but I plan on doing a low heel, low/narrow shaft horsehide engineer with a single midsole down the line, I think it should be much lighter and better for walking around in.

trapp

Practically Family
Engineers are the best looking boots ever, but I've spent tons of $$ on some of the best engineers made and I cannot find a good fit. The closest I've come are the Lofgrens, which is what i wear now, and they're not that comfortable.

I burn with envy when I read about guys walking around in engineers that, after break-in, feel like slippers. You know who are!

Last edited:

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Engineers are the best looking boots ever, but I've spent tons of $$ on some of the best engineers made and I cannot find a good fit. I've spent years, off and on, trying to find a good engineer that works for my feet (which are not that unusual as feet go). The closest I've come are the Lofgrens, which is what i wear now, and they're not that comfortable.

I burn with envy when I read about guys walking around in engineers that, after break-in, feel like slippers. You know who are!

I had tried many engineers. My Wesco custom fit engineers on the 9109 bump toe Last are very comfortable once broken in. Best money I've ever spent on a clothing item. Try it out. Custom fit made all the difference for me. I hope you get a good comfortable pair of boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ