Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Dav

One Too Many
When for a bit of tlc last night, wasn't sure which product to go for but decided on the Venetian Leather Balm in the end as it gives a reasonable shine with minimal effort.
This is one thing I love about these quality leathers, you can wear the hell out of it and it still come back pretty good.
IMG_20190829_190013-2918x2189.jpg
FB_IMG_1567109229237.jpg
FB_IMG_1567109235832.jpg

IMG_20190830_085638-2188x2917.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender

How do you find that type of sole? I've never considered it before as I didn't care for the colour, but I've seen them in black now too. I do like the look of short (6") engineers... actually, I've considered picking up a pair as I think they might be just that little bit easier to deal with when flying in the Winter. In Summer, I tend to wear spedtator penny loafers when flying, but when making a casual, Winter trip to visit the family around Christmas, sometimes I'd rather not take up the bag room with the boots that'll be the only thing I'll wear when I get there...

So after my experience with the lower heel on the 2990 I decided to take my 2966 to the local cobbler for a heel reduction. Brilliant! Who wants to go for a long walk?

There's something wonderful about the transformative effect of an often very simple thing which takes uncomfortable boots you want to love and makes them a joy to wear. For me with engineer boots it tends to be as simple as a decent, arch-supporting insole to take up the slack. Brilliant, as I love the look of engineers more than any other boots!

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I never had those soles on engineers but i have had them Moc toes. For me personally they are the most comfortable soles going.
Out of curiosity do you not find that arch supports lift your heel to high in the counter?

Edward

Bartender
Out of curiosity do you not find that arch supports lift your heel to high in the counter?

Almost all Engineer boots I've tried have a slightly wider fitting, with a lot of room in the vamp above my foot - the insoles I use just fill that excess space nicely without making it too tight. Doen't seem to be a problem in the hell, but these are shaped insoles where they're much thinner at the heel than the arch. It's almost like taking a boot that's a half-size too big, and filling that excess half, if you see what I mean. Notably, all the Engineer boots I've owned only come in full sizes, or obviously I'd have tried a pair a half size down. My Grinders I actually bought a pair a size down many years ago (by accident; they were mis-advertised on ebay, and returning them was going to cost too much the way it worked at that time). Herself wears those ones now. After my 'right size' ones just seemed very minimally too loose for a few years, I discovered the insole trick and it worked a treat.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations. They look great. Can you compare their sizing to other makers? I always have my eyes out for a good slightly used deal, but worry about sizing since returns are typically not accepted.

Dav

One Too Many
Most of my sized boots are a US 10D, as are these, to be honest though they are a bit big, I've had a 9 before which were the opposite, so perfect would be 9.5 I suspect, they are very comfortable though as there is room enough for a trainer insole.

Viv

Familiar Face
Congratulations. They look great. Can you compare their sizing to other makers? I always have my eyes out for a good slightly used deal, but worry about sizing since returns are typically not accepted.
ELMC's Lofgren are UK sized. Their 8uk is almost identical to a Red Wing Iron Ranger 9US (I know that Standard and Strange for instance always compare their products sizes to Iron Rangers.)
I can't compare to other brands.

Envoyé de mon JSN-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk

Viv

Familiar Face
Guys, i need your advice. Sorry in advance for my bad english.
My boots are the right size but my feet is not totally still into them and slighly slides when walking. Not much but enough to be a pain.
I'm thinking about making an additionnal hole into the harness so i can clamp it more, that would be enough to maintain my feet into the boot.
Anyone has experience with this?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Gentleman who runs Vintage Engineer Boots (VEB) blog said he’s needed to add a hole to the instep strap on every pair he’s owned. On my Wesco boss boots I have the MP toe. The toe is a little narrow to begin with and doesn’t fit if I put an insole in. I had a local cobbler instal an instep pad so it only fills up space where i needed it to and leaves the toebox alone.

Reactions: Viv

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Guys, i need your advice. Sorry in advance for my bad english.
My boots are the right size but my feet is not totally still into them and slighly slides when walking. Not much but enough to be a pain.
I'm thinking about making an additionnal hole into the harness so i can clamp it more, that would be enough to maintain my feet into the boot.
Anyone has experience with this?

It’s called heel lift/slip & totally normal for pull on boots. The strap on an engineer has no real purpose. It won’t help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To add: the question for you is whether your sole bends when you walk? Some
Boots have stiff sole & it’s very hard to walk. As long as your sole bends easily it will improve over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
Any advice on Chippewas? Just bought a pair of (I think) M1901 something or other - the 7" height oxblood ones.Notg tried them with a shoehorn yet, but they'red clearly the correct size for me, it's just very hard to get my heel down in there. Will ashoe-horn work until they stretch out that little bit?

Does anyoned still soak boots then wear 'em dry to improve the fit?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I like the start with your foot in a grocery bag method for the first few days. I’ve never needed to do it thanks to a low instep but i admire its simplicity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana