Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

IXL

One Too Many
Jimmer_5, thanks for the heads-up! I'm a huge fan of Whites and have Smoke Jumpers. As they never produced an engineer style boot I ended up with Wesco, which are very good boots.
I will now order a pair of Whites.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Those RRL boots look fantastic - I have looked at those for a long time, but struggled with the price. If those are 13 and you're still unsure about the fit, I might give 'em a try. :)

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
My brown RRL engineers.

001.jpg

and my studded ones.

001.jpg

injunjack

One of the Regulars
OK, I'm about to get new pair of Engineers, and need info on sizing.

I have opted 3 diff. options, Lone Wolf, Wesco with bump toe, or full custom job here in Finland out of Horween Shell Cordovan. (I have to buy the leather myself)

So how is sizing in Lone Wolfs and Wescos?

I wear 9D in Chippewa Engineers (steel toe 16"), Sendra Engineers, Carolina Poleclimbers, Throgood Roofers and Moc-Toes and Chippewa 20067 workboots. Some are roomier than other, Chippewa Engineers probably the most, but none too big or small.

All info appreciated.

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
fit

Nice RRLs. I'm interested in getting these also. Where did you get them from? Also how is the fit? I'm normally a 9w or 8.5ee. Do these fit slim or wide? on the large side or small? Thanks

kyboots

Practically Family
Guys I like all the boots. Sizing on Wescos should remain the same as your shoes. I wear 13's in Wesco boots and most shoes. I don't really see a difference in size or problems here as others have. I have a pair of Chippewa 13's and they appear a little tight across the top of my foot when I walk; not comfortable for me. Would sell them if anyone wants ( brand new ). The RRL's are a great look, will order a pair. Not easy advising others on fit. Just have to try. But you all have posted some beautiful boots here!--John

Mr Badger

Practically Family
My black Chippewa 27899s just arrived today, really nice for $90 shipped to the UK... :D

Cripes but this brand of engineers are waaay large on the sizing! I normally wear a UK 11 / US 12 E, and previously made the mishtake of getting 27911s, the Brown Bomber model, in what I'd always considered my American size – was forced to pack 'em with double insoles to stop slippage and they're still too wide, even for a flatfoot like me...

So I took a chance on 12 D in the 27899s, which still turned out a tad too long – I'd advise Limeys to go up just a half step if they're thinking of buying any Chippewa engineers when calculating their US size – but they are the perfect width...

561325_10151692888360471_725635470_24095446_237503381_n.jpg

Am a happy camper, and will now get my much-loved no-name boots reworked with a leather sole, wooden heel piece and deadstock Cat's Paw heels so as I can stud & jewel 'em up:

307658_10150861348430471_725635470_21132360_2042971890_n.jpg

Nabbed these heels on 5th Ave in Brooklyn last November:

391184_10150970090770471_725635470_21738595_1521858915_n.jpg

Am as yet undecided about which trad pattern I'm gonna go for – deffo no studs around the top or the heel cup, too much – so it's either gonna be the side and strap combo, or the front of the vamp but not the strap, whaddya reckon?

561185_10151554190910471_725635470_23859455_988539432_n.jpg

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Hey Matt, they were off the 'bay, took a helluva long time to find 'em tho'... seems like the only decent engineer boots available in the UK are very pricey, guess you're finding the same, eh? I mean, a pair of nice Red Wing 2268 boots are around £230, too rich for me, and as to what those RRL boots would be including import charges, I hate to think! :eeek:

A friend of mine at work bought some Chippewa 27911s from here, and was very pleased with the service they provided, but you're still talking about £150-160, more if you get nabbed for import duty and the ever-spurious 'handling charge'...

My advice would be to get to work on the 'bay...

Edward

Bartender
I'm pretty pleased with the Grinders boots I got years ago in Camden - I think they're still about GBP80 or so. When I have the cash, I'd lie to buy a second pair, but the model with the flat sole (not commando) and no steel toecap this time.

oxfordgrant

New in Town
Red Wing Brown Nubuck(?) 8248 Engineer Boots

Hello-just joined TFL after enjoying reading the posts on this thread.

I have recently purchased a pair of oldish but pretty good RW 8248 engineers on ebay. I believe these were made up until the early 1990s and were supposedly the women's equivalent of the 2268- however, apart from the lower position of the roller buckle and strap over the metatarsal these look pretty much like the standard RW engineer boot of the period(single ANSI Z41 PT91label etc), so stuff the gender issues. I actually prefer these to my 2268s from the same period as the lower position of the brass buckles means I only need a discrete cuff showing selvage to show off the buckles. So I am happy. Except, the the leather around the toes and heels is quite shiny and wondered if anyone has any tips for restoring this type of leather. I know you can revive nubuck with an abrasive bar but want to be sure this is the right approach- don't want to trash these babies.

Thanks for any help

mattp

One of the Regulars
Hey Matt, they were off the 'bay, took a helluva long time to find 'em tho'... seems like the only decent engineer boots available in the UK are very pricey, guess you're finding the same, eh? I mean, a pair of nice Red Wing 2268 boots are around £230, too rich for me, and as to what those RRL boots would be including import charges, I hate to think! :eeek:

A friend of mine at work bought some Chippewa 27911s from here, and was very pleased with the service they provided, but you're still talking about £150-160, more if you get nabbed for import duty and the ever-spurious 'handling charge'...

My advice would be to get to work on the 'bay...

Thanks Mr Badger, the locally available options can be a bit pricey, I'll keep an eye out online... Having said that some models seem to be cheaper than stuff in Australia, for example the Harley Davidson Hustons are cheaper here by a reasonable margin. I recently picked up some Red Wing 2268s from Silvermans in London, they're got a few different models and being able to try them on was reassuring prior to laying down 230 quid. I figured for US made boots that's not outrageous, and they should last a while.
The import charges in this country are killing me though, any decent orders will have to wait until I get back to Australia!
Cheers,
Matt

art89b

Familiar Face
Hello, Im new to the forums, and wanted to show my love towards engineer boots. I'm rather new to the whole boot collecting, but regardless engineers are my weakness. I also have a pair of White's original packers coming in and a pair of Nick's contenders for work. I wear a size 13.
Redwings and black Chippewas were both custom resoled by a neighbor who is a retired cobbler.

img1779h.jpg

By trapz89 at 2012-06-02
img1777ogi.jpg

By trapz89 at 2012-06-02
img1781p.jpg

By trapz89 at 2012-06-02
img1782z.jpg

By trapz89 at 2012-06-02

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Does anybody know whre I could find a pair of engineers with double top buckles? I used to have a pair of Carolina's like that.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey art89b,

Bitchin' boots my friend. Red Wings are killer! Lots of character going on with all of them.

Welcome to the Lounge; a place where guys put $500 boots in the oven and $900 leather jackets in the washer and dryer. Gotta love this place!

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Hadn't seen them Edward, thanks.
Black ones too... http://www.rocketoriginals.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=Engineerboot-Black
The overall profile looks good and they're not out they way price wise.
I personally prefer a more boot like heel on my engineers. Shame too that they ran the welt stitching all the way round the heel.

When the cash comes my way, I've got my eye on a pair in each colour.... My Grinders are great, but I prefer a flat sole over the commando, and the steel toecap and whatever makes them kinda heavy. I don't know who makes them for Rocket, but if they're as good as the shoes I have from them, they'll be good stuff. Won't be boot weather for a few months yet, so I might hang on and check them out at Rhythm Riot in November...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran