Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

jimmer_5

Practically Family
RRL x Julian Imrie. These truly are my favorite boots I have had the pleasure of handling, I prefer them over the Mister Freedom Road Champs. I tool some comparison pictures of the two that I will post later today.

The toe (and entire forefoot actually) is reinforced with leather which keeps them soft toe, but sturdy. I hate to let them go, but it is time.

Those are some or the best looking engineer boots out there in my opinion. I would love to pick up a black pair, but my brown pair needed a professional stretching to make them reasonable to get on and off. If I could find a black pair for $450 or so, I might give them a try, but $700-$900 is too much (just in my opinion, no offense intended). If they didn't have fit issues, I might feel differently - the leather is super thick and supple, the style and overall look is incredible, and the quality is top notch.

I have heard that the black ones were not as difficult to get on and off - have you found this to be true?

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Thx, ky! I am having serious issues with the toe area. they arent touching the end of thr boot, per se. its that the PT is such a low profile last that my toes feel like they could push through the leather (if not for the fact that its thick as spit!). Any thought as to whether I should go for a stretch or just be patient with break in? I tried the water soak technique yesterday, and while it helped break in the footbed it didn't really make any difference in the vamp.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Maybe a bit? i think it's more that there's no room for my toes to move since the it's so narrow? this pic is when i first them on, and shows where my big toe hits.

78EEFDFC-1C23-4271-9A2A-616A441725C1-3605-000003C4E51AF3F2.jpg

This pic was taken after about 5 days or wear and shows how my toe sticks out in em (mind you I'm not wiggling my toe at all in this pic)

12A5EA40-D92F-4BAA-BE9B-4BC1B90985B0-3605-000003C4AB35C801.jpg

I admit, I'm a bit nervous on the fit right now

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Ok, I finally took some updated pics of my White's Nomads in standard "Distressed" Brown. They have been breaking in beautifully, and the thick, stiff leather has confirmed beautifully to my feet.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I also ended up taking some pics top show what they look like before and after a fresh oiling. Keep in mind, the leather lightens back up in about a week, but it's good to know what you're getting into:

The boot on the left is dry, the boot on the right has been freshly oiled. I oil them up about once every six months - this particular leather is pretty dry, and it soaks the oil up quickly.

Moonshine

New in Town
@bretron - I say have them stretched. If they don't fit well (looks like you've got plenty of toe room) they'll just be expensive closet fillers. I had a similar issue with my Wesco Jobmasters - plenty of room in the toe box but due to the lace-to-toe construction the top of the boot sat on my toe and bugged the shiz out of me! Had them stretched at the local cobbler and they're much better now!

@jimmer - Those Nomads are THE SHIZ! That is all...

@everyone else - Just wanted to post that my RW 2991 engineers are officially broken in – after only 2 wears! I wore them for 10+ hours the first day and it wasn’t bad at all; just a bit tight around the vamp, as most new shoes are, but no noticeable heel slip or any other quirks. The only complaint I had at that time was how tight the shafts were (I’m a big dude with big calves…) and that there is no pull loop to aid in getting them on. My initial try-on was a total struggle and I was really concerned about having to fight with them every time I wore them in the future. In fact, I was planning on sewing in some sturdy pull loops to aid in getting the boots on!

Anyway, I wore them again the other day totally expecting to have to fight to get them on but that wasn’t the case! They slipped on easily, which I can only attribute to the leather having had time to “learn” my feet/calves. I wore them again for around 10+ hours (office environment – not really “working” in them), and they loosened up a bit more, as I’m sure they will do again the next time I wear them. But the cool thing this time was that they were super-easy to get off – didn’t even have to ask the wife for her assistance! In short, these get the official Moonshine seal of approval! I'll post some pics in a few weeks!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
@jimmer, your nomads are looking amazing!

@moonshine, I'm sending them back to wesco for a toe stretch tomorrow. I am hoping (praying!!!) that it does the trick. Otherwise, they're off to the classifieds section, and a re-boot (sorry for the lame pun) of my PT order:( as for your RWs, glad to hear you're moving beyond the pains of the boot shaft. That drove me crazy on my last pair of engineers! Do post some fit pics when you get the chance

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Moonshine & Bretron - thanks for your comments - I am really pleased with how my White's are breaking in. The only problem is that they're so nice, I want another pair....

Bretron - I wish I had a good answer for you on the Patrol toes, but I am a full round toe person. I will tell you that the standard round toe on my White's Nomad's is more pointed than the round "Boss" toe on my Wesco Boss. Mine are considered the "modern" (non-Bump) style toes, but they are very round. I used to wear cowboy boots most of the time, but these days, my feet are happier in a more round toed boot.

Wesco Toe:

White's Toe (both Boots are size 12.5 Nomads, just different colors and soles):

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ok, I can safely and solidly report that my PTs fit. The toes are fitting very nicely as we speak!

Amazing what a little sleep and a beer will do for a panicking soul (and a long talk with Chris at Wesco!)

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Ok, I can safely and solidly report that my PTs fit. The toes are fitting very nicely as we speak!

Amazing what a little sleep and a beer will do for a panicking soul (and a long talk with Chris at Wesco!)

Bretron -

I have to tell you, it's hard when you wait several months and spend a lot of money on an item. I have more than once been frustrated when I first receive a pair of boots or a jacket, but after a few days the issue righted itself or I got it figured out. I have had to teach myself to wait a few days before commenting or even emailing the seller with my opinions.

I am glad to hear that you got your new Wesco's figured out. I really want a pair like yours but with the standard Toe. I also want a pair of White's with the exact same specs. I'm not sure which way to go, but I can only afford one right now... okay, I really shouldn't buy either pair, but two pairs would have me sleeping in the back yard. :)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Jimmer, thx man. Seriously nerve racking!

If it were me, I'd go for soft toe nomads, because I like the pointier profile vs the boss. I didnt think white's was offerjng a soft toe versiou but i stumbled on a photo of pair somewhere in cyberspace (I think it was the IH forum?).

I'm laughing real hard to myself regarding your comment on sleeping in the back yard. My wife was pointing to the couch when I told her I was eyeing my next pair of boots! :lol:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Darn this thread! I just placed an order for another pair of Nomads! I have been itching to order a really traditional black pair, and I finally broke down and made the order with Baker's. To be fair, the specs are exactly the same as my distressed pair, but these will be black. They should look pretty much like this:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot