Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

edmond

Vendor
IMG_1470.jpg

Edward

Bartender

Love the two-tone effect on these.

I really want to get me a pair of boots like these. I love the look - almost cartoony.

I decided to give brown a try

9e5f48b4.jpg

Nice, what are they?

I got these recently... Great boots!

boo-178_2.jpg

Expensive, but great, yes. If I was ever feeling rich, I'd be tempted to see if I cold order myself up a pair of Westways with the flat sole (as opposed to the commando style. I've seen pictures on the Lewis site of a pair with the flat soles...). I do for now have a pair of Grinders Wild One boots - a chunky take n the traditional engineer style. Commando sole. Heavy, though, with the steel toecaps, which can make them uncomfortable to walk in for long periods. I have my eye on the Rocket Originals boots - flat sole, no toe cap, available in black and in brown. I'd like a pair each of those.... Cheaper options, probably do my job as I don't ride and won't wear these as often as a pair of laced boots.

too much coffee

Practically Family
These are my custom Boss boots. I brought walking shoes with me on a trip, and opted to wear these instead as they proved to be far more comfortable for 8 mile a day walking. Btw, this is a cross post from the Iron Heart Forum, for those of you who might spend time there as well.

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

And these are my custom lace-to-toe Jobmasters. I know they're not engineer boots, but I thought I'd share anyway :)

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

You've got great taste in boots Seawolf. Wesco Jobmasters are terrific!

Regards,
coffee

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I decided to give brown a try

9e5f48b4.jpg

I have been tempted to get a pair of those for close to a year now - the only thing is the price , and the fact that I am unsure about the color. How does it look in person? A lot of the pics make it look almost beige. Would you say the Julian made boots hold up to White's and Wesco?

illumin8em

A-List Customer
I have been tempted to get a pair of those for close to a year now - the only thing is the price , and the fact that I am unsure about the color. How does it look in person? A lot of the pics make it look almost beige. Would you say the Julian made boots hold up to White's and Wesco?

I cannot speak for wesco, as they refuse to make a boot with the heel/toe/last combination that I wish unless I live in Japan.

I definitely feel that the Julian boots on on par with my White's boots, but these somehow have an old vintage feel before even putting them on. They are the closest I could find to what I had in mind for an engineer boot. Something I just realized yesterday, the toe is reinforced with actual leather, not that weird cardboard like structure they use today. Also, it is leather lined from the ankle strap down.

On the color, well it is somewhere between my first photo, and this one. For some reason I cannot get a good photo representation of color. I am looking forward to applying some tan polish to give it some life.

256e9d31.jpg

Last edited:

trapp

Practically Family
I handled a pair of the Julian made Murdock boots the other day. They're fantastic. Very comfortable boots, sweet design, and amazingly responsive leather. These were the black ones. I was very close to pulling the trigger and would have, except for the fact the leather had been dyed black all the way through. As a result I don't think they ever would have developed those lovely brown undertones that i like so much on very old, well worn black engineers. Too bad though since they are otherwise very nice.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
I handled a pair of the Julian made Murdock boots the other day.

Julian does not make the RRL engineer boots anymore, the new RRL Murdock Engineer boots are from a new maker in TX. Also, the Julian made boots are not dyed all the way through, I have two pair. They will indeed develop the brown undertones. I think that RRL must want this confusion because they do not make it very easy to find out.

d8c0334a.jpg

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Illumin8em - How is the fit on the RRL's - do they run large or small? Can you compare the fit to Wesco's or White's?

illumin8em

A-List Customer
Illumin8em - How is the fit on the RRL's - do they run large or small? Can you compare the fit to Wesco's or White's?

When I first got them I thought the fit was not good for me. The combination of my narrow heels and the rubber half soles being very stiff, resulted in terrible heel slip. But after a week they are breaking in nicely, and though I believe the heel slip will always be an issue, it has lessened to acceptable. I have the same issue with my White's, but those are laced boots and therefore heel slip is not an issue. If White's would budge on their customization for the new engineer boots, I would be first in line for a pair in brown Semi Dress leather. For comparison, I wear a 10.5D in all my White's and an 11 in the RRLxJulian engineer boots.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
need advise here...

I have used my Chippewa engineers as they are meant, riding my bike. That ofcourse involves kicking the bike alive. Now the other boot has developed about a 2 euro coin sized hole through leather to the steelcap because the kicking foot interferes with floorborads of my bike. (these will be the last steelcapped boots for me)

Is there a way to repair them? Cut the worn hole to symmetrical and glue a snug fitting piece of leather in place? Other options?. To get them rebuild here is Finland might be Mission Impossible...

kyboots

Practically Family
Why can't you sew a piece of thick leather right over it? Would that not be the easiest?That is a custom option you can do in Wesco's and some other boots. GoodLuck. Hey West Virginia I think there is a size 13 Julian RRL pair of boots on Ebay from the same seller. Really good price! ---John

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
illumin8em and John (kyboots);

Are those RRL Julian boots worth that kind of bread. What are the endearing qualities that make them more expensive than Wesco and Whites? I kinda know my way around Engineers so go ahead with the technical stuff if you need to.

It's just I had never heard of these until recently and don't know squat about them.

Thanks!

Regards,
coffee

illumin8em

A-List Customer
I am not sure what you are looking for. With a boot as limited as this, most folks, including myself until recently, will only have an opportunity to see them in photos on ebay. There are enough photos there, in good enough quality that endearing qualities should be easily noticed by someone who knows their way around engineers, outside of common offerings. I do not have a way with words, nor was I blessed the qualities of a salesman. My best effort would be through photographs, but I feel that there are plenty already. If you would like something specific, I may be able to oblige.

I hope that did not come off as rude
Let me give it a better try.

The choice in leather, and the fact that it is not dyed through unlike modern boots. Leather reinforced toes that when broken in will flatten subtly and uniform unlike the cardboard like material used in modern boots. The internal leather lining of the boot, rolled top, brass roller buckles (vintage?). Cats Paw heels. Even toe tracks left behind like many vintage engineer boots. That is what these boots are, a pretty good attempt at making a pair of engineer boots like they once were. All that and more, may not be everyone's cup of tea, but to some it tastes just fine.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Kyboots

how to sew something on steel capped toebox? The whole is in front of the toebox, almost middle. I guess glue is my best option, unless I hear something comforting from
Chippewa factory...I asked them if they rebuild boots...

too much coffee

Practically Family
I am not sure what you are looking for. With a boot as limited as this, most folks, including myself until recently, will only have an opportunity to see them in photos on ebay. There are enough photos there, in good enough quality that endearing qualities should be easily noticed by someone who knows their way around engineers, outside of common offerings. I do not have a way with words, nor was I blessed the qualities of a salesman. My best effort would be through photographs, but I feel that there are plenty already. If you would like something specific, I may be able to oblige.

I hope that did not come off as rude
Let me give it a better try.

The choice in leather, and the fact that it is not dyed through unlike modern boots. Leather reinforced toes that when broken in will flatten subtly and uniform unlike the cardboard like material used in modern boots. The internal leather lining of the boot, rolled top, brass roller buckles (vintage?). Cats Paw heels. Even toe tracks left behind like many vintage engineer boots. That is what these boots are, a pretty good attempt at making a pair of engineer boots like they once were. All that and more, may not be everyone's cup of tea, but to some it tastes just fine.

Thank you for the explanation.

coffee

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Coffee - It's all about doing the research and drawing conclusions. Unfortunately, most high-end stuff seems to require a leap of faith, since it's not available in a local store. I have been eyeing teh RRL Engineer boots for about a year now because they appear to be very high quality. I have researched, and the one's that are common on eBay right now are the ones from the 2011 year, which were made by American bootmaker Julian Imrie (correct me if I'm wrong on the spelling or dates). Julian's work is held in pretty high regard, and he is also responsible for the Mister Freedom Road Champ boots. Our own Marineabilly (http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com/) thinks the Julian made Road Champs are some of very the best boots out there, so I feel pretty confident that the RRL's will be very good as well, since they were made by the same person. Hopefully he doesn't mind me referencing his opinion here.

As to your original question, the RRL's appear to be made from very thick, supple leather, and the build quality looks very good. I finally just pulled the trigger on an eBay pair last night (with a return policy), and I will be very curious to finally examine these firsthand. I got what I consider to be a really good deal on them, so I am really hoping they work for me! I'll keep you posted when they arrive.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi jimmer_5;

I appreciate your input. You guys got me very interested in these boots now.
Glad you picked up a pair and "yes" if you could give a detailed review, like your excellent White's Nomads write up, it would be beneficial to some of us here.
And you're right......once one does the research, the high price tag can be justified sometimes. Like Filson tin cloth; "you only have to buy it once."

I hope the boots work out for you and thanks again.

Regards,
coffee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24