Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

mattfink

Practically Family
I've not seen nor tried on the new Murdock boot, I'm relying on what others have told me in regards to these boots. And yes, they are no longer made by Julian. I'm not 100% sure what severed the relationship between RRL and Julian, but I was a bit surprised by it. Maybe they can make more $ from a bigger maker? Anyone know who is making the current models?

trapp

Practically Family
The consensus is that someone in Texas makes the current models. Julian makes some incredible boots but I think RRL needed someone who could make them a bit faster and perhaps with more consistenty. As for the sizing it's a bit surprising to read that people are finding the Murdocks to run a small (at least the Julian Murdocks). I take true to size and usually my high arches leave me wincing at anything that runs even remotely small.

I wore a new pair OS Chippewas today for a 160 mile ride and lots of walking. I have normally wide feet, and they seems to be a tad narrower than I'm used to. After getting home, my feet were a tad sore on the small toes. I imagine after breakin, they'll be fine - I hope so. Probably a lot for their first day. Good boots though. And great for riding. Easy to take on/off, without bing too easy which would not make a good riding boot (in case...)
The brown pair - not steel toed and a more rough out like softer hide - seem quicker to break. I think they're a good boot for the money, and USA made.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Wonderful review, and well done on the specs i love love love those natural midsoles. Have you done anything to the midsoles (treatment wise) on the wescos yet?
I find your fit issues to be interesting indeed as my western boss boots are the best fitting (even better than my packers go figure) with no heel lift.
I can't get past the rivet for the calf adjustment, as obscene is WESCO's non availability of roller buckles. One day I will spend too much and hopefully have a perfect pair of engineer boots. Anybody know if nomads are offered in horse hide?

I just noticed the question you asked here Old Crow - I did dye the midsoles on my Wesco's. When you ask Wesco for a natural midsole, they give it to you exactly that way - just a raw sanded leather finish.

On the other hand, White's colors their "natural" midsoles with a light colored Fiebings sole dye - I will have to look up the color and stock number. When I first got the Wesco's, I actually called White's and they told me that they use the Fiebings sole dye to get that nice light tan color. I applied two coats to my Wesco midsoles and that's what gives them the color you see in the pictures. The White's Nomads came form the factory with the tan color already applied and buffed to a nice smooth finish.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Horsehide engineer boots...holy cow! John Lofgren and I have decided to bring these beautiful Horween chrome-tanned horsehide boots to the United States. Anything I could say wouldn't do the boots justice!!!

Lofgrenboots.jpg

Lofgrenboots1.jpg

Lofgrenboots3.jpg

www.insurrectionvintage.com

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
That's fantastic news, Wade! Are you planning on expanding the sizes to fit larger American feet? Those of us with size 13's always miss out on the cool, high-end, builds (because they are usually for the Japanese market where smaller feet are the norm).

illumin8em

A-List Customer
Edmond - those look great! Are those older Wesco's? I'd love to see more pics.

They are Wesco Narrow Engineer (Japan only). Welcome to the club of never being able to own them because they did not make them in our size, and Wesco will not allow the same make up to be built custom because Japan has it on lock down. I have been on the look out for a pair and made numerous attempts the past couple years to get a pair made and no dice.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
That's fantastic news, Wade! Are you planning on expanding the sizes to fit larger American feet? Those of us with size 13's always miss out on the cool, high-end, builds (because they are usually for the Japanese market where smaller feet are the norm).

Currently, we're just 9 through 12 (as you know, 12 is as big as John currently goes). However, we'd like to add 13s...

One thing to remember is that a 12 is actually a 13 with the Lofgren and Co. boots...

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I am currently finishing up an order for another pair of White's Nomad bootswith Baker's, and poor Kyle has had to deal with my indecision. I was going to go with Natural Chromexcel, but despite how nice the leather is, I felt that it was too soft for my taste. After some thought, I finally decided to do a little Photoshop magic to help me make up my mind.

I have seen a few people build out custom Smokejumpers with Red Dog vamps (foot) and Distressed Brown uppers. I borrowed these two images from the web:

RedDog-DistressedComboSmokejumper01.jpg
_MG_0472.jpg

I was curious how this would look on an Engineer boot. I have also seen some really cool two tone Engineer boot builds recently, and decided to mock up some other combos for fun. I took a picture of my Brown Nomads with natural welts and played with some different colors. Truth be told, I like several of them a lot... this could get expensive. I would change out the sole to a Vibram 705 half sole with a double midsole, but these are pretty close. Maybe these images can be helpful to someone other than me as well:

The original concept - Red Dog Vamp with Distressed Brown Shaft:

WhitesNomadRedDogVamp-DistressedShaft.jpg

Brown Vamp / Distressed Shaft - might have been my first choice if I didn't already have a brown pair:

WhitesNomadBrownVamp-DistressedShaft.jpg

Black Vamp / Distressed Shaft:

WhitesNomadBlackVamp-DistressedShaft.jpg

Red Dog Vamp / Black Shaft

WhitesNomadRedDogVamp-BlackShaft.jpg

Distressed Vamp / Black Shaft (the distressed leather is more mottled, but this gives the general idea)

WhitesNomadDistressedVamp-BlackShaft.jpg

All Black / Natural Welts - the classic look:

WhitesNomadAllBlack.jpg

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Edmond - I thought those were yours! Do you mind me using your picture?

Your boots have proved to be the inspiration for my new pair. I am really hoping of a nice contrast between the distressed and red dog leathers.

Ishmael

Practically Family
A couple of pics.

I love this photo.

SF2_zps4b7c871f.jpg

Here is a (doctored) photo of John Lofgren's newest creation. Engineer boots in cognac from Badalassi. (photo from Mushmans, Japan).

20121020_85571_zps89625e57.jpg

Ishmael

Practically Family
Thought some of you might find this review of the RRL and John Lofgren Engineers Boots interesting. Both awesome boots. What do you like? RRLs or Lofgrens?

Part 1 (RRL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpSR2ZWgiwQ

Part 2 (John Lofgren)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcTdmdK0Fus&feature=relmfu

He's also got a couple of videos of putting Pecard leather dressing on the Lofgrens, if you're feeling kinky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvdSEM-kRvg&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSgoW37YNrw&feature=relmfu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR