Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
I am very hard on my harness boots and have to say that my xelements have held up well. I'm not saying that wescos are not awesome, but they should be at almost ten times the price

malligator

New in Town
I'm looking at some Julian-made RRL engineer boots and was wondering about fit. I am sitting here in size 11.5 sneakers (Vans to be exact) and I usually always wear an 11.5 or 12 depending on the shoe. Would I be better served in a 12 or should I size up to a 13? I can't get a good read from old internet reviews as to how these fit (except that the shaft is often too narrow).

kyboots

Practically Family
Malligator everybody who commented on the Julians had problem with the narrow size. I even turned down a pair of equal sized 13s because I was not sure if the seller could refit me "and I really wanted these". If the price is dirt cheap and you gamble to wear heavy socks I would say try a 13,( someone can wear them ) but a returnable boot is always better with this situation. BTW don't most Vans fit wide feet ?, if you have a wide foot I would not even gamble.

bikerpoizun

New in Town
Ok, for those that ride motorcycles, I have to ask: Would a half sole like those pictured here provide enough traction for day to day riding on a heavy bike (Harley Road King)? I would love some boots like these, but wonder if I need the full Vibram treaded sole or if this is just as good.
The biggest problem with the half sole for a motorcycle boot is the exposed leather portion of the sole. Sooner or later you will ride in the rain and if you ride a cruiser in the typical easy chair position, your soles are right in the line of the water coming from the road and your front tire. The rest of the typical oiled leather engineer boot will resist rain for a long time while keeping your feet dry, but that naked leather section of the sole will quickly start soaking up rain like a sponge. The full vibram sole, any version, is much preferable.
As far as traction, I think the half sole would be about as good as any.

Kato

Familiar Face
The biggest problem with the half sole for a motorcycle boot is the exposed leather portion of the sole. Sooner or later you will ride in the rain and if you ride a cruiser in the typical easy chair position, your soles are right in the line of the water coming from the road and your front tire. The rest of the typical oiled leather engineer boot will resist rain for a long time while keeping your feet dry, but that naked leather section of the sole will quickly start soaking up rain like a sponge. The full vibram sole, any version, is much preferable.

Thx for yr share!
Such as professional opinion as a true rider!

Edward

Bartender

Interesting point - not one that had occurred to me (in common with probably 99% of folks who wear this style of boot these days, I don't ride, so I suppose the nature of the market influences design in this respect). What had actually occurred to me was the lack of a metal plate for a kickstart - used to be a common feature on the bottom of one boot for old Lewis, Aviakit, and the likes, back in the days when a kickstart was the norm.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
I must say, that I haven't got my boots soaked and I prefer half sole. Me thinks it shouldn't be the first concern...I'd also welcome kickstart plate in my boots

malligator

New in Town
So I ordered some Red Wing Heritage engineer boots and they just aren't me. Thin soles...low heals...just kinda blah. I've got some Frye Harness 12R's on order in the Gaucho color. I've never really dealt with having boots resoled so I have a question. When the time comes (and I realize that may take some time) can I replace the polypropylene sole that comes on the Frye's with a nice double layer leather sole? Is that a "resole" job or a "rebuild"? It looks like Frye Harness boots used to come with leather soles. Wish they still did.

So I ordered some Red Wing Heritage engineer boots and they just aren't me. Thin soles...low heals...just kinda blah. I've got some Frye Harness 12R's on order in the Gaucho color. I've never really dealt with having boots resoled so I have a question. When the time comes (and I realize that may take some time) can I replace the polypropylene sole that comes on the Frye's with a nice double layer leather sole? Is that a "resole" job or a "rebuild"? It looks like Frye Harness boots used to come with leather soles. Wish they still did.
I've resoled lots of boots going from leather to Vibram back to leather. What you're spec'ing should not be an issue...

Kato

Familiar Face
some updated pics of my John Lofgren after 3 weeks wearing :

_MG_3093.JPG

_MG_3094.JPG

_MG_3090.JPG

_MG_3092.JPG

andy b.

One of the Regulars
They look great! I usually go for more of a matte finish, but there have been a lot of boots posted here lately that look awesome with a shine on them.

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
My WESCO'S have landed. Leather is Brown Domain, MP last with Boss heels. No need to go into details but Kyle at Bakers went above and beyond for me on this order. I might need the heels pinched but for now I'm going to enjoy taking them for a walk.
10256742_687417111301414_1652612062638576656_o.jpg
10257082_687417217968070_500026745844706876_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy