Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Ranch packer is a angled heel (think cowboy boot) for riding horses. Not a cowboy boot roper heel (straight block heel) for stability on the ground for throwing ropes at horses. Standard White's heel is their Cuban curved heel (granny boot heel). Throw White's Boots into Google and click the images on the top of the page you will find a lot examples of all of the above mentioned heels. Good luck on your search.

Thanks. It was rather inchoate in my head, but when I saw 'Cuban curved heel' as the Standard heel and all the pics, it makes sense to me now.

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
Bunyip,
I don,t remember corectly what happend. I might have changed my order after they quoted me. I do remember that when they quoted i thought , ok thats not bad at all. And when they charged me i thought, mmm thats more .
I,m verry happy with though. I,ve had three pair of boots resoled, all more or less in the same price range. All different coblers

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Pulled the trigger on a pair of White's Nomad boots. Thanks to the participants of this thread for providing a lot of 'inside' information about them. I guess in a few months I'll know what they're like in the flesh.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars

They are very similar to jimmer_5's black pair of White's Nomads, except mine will have a brown dyed sole versus natural:

Toe Vamp Leather: Black Smooth
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Black Smooth
Counter Leather: Black Smooth
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: 1/4" Higher
Midsole: Double
Edge: Brown
Sole: Vibram Composition Half Sole
Size - Length: 9
Size - Width: D (medium)

I ride a motorcycle so I opted for the Black Smooth versus Black Chromexcel as my understanding is that the latter scuffs really easily.

univibe88

One Too Many
They are very similar to jimmer_5's black pair of White's Nomads, except mine will have a brown dyed sole versus natural:

Toe Vamp Leather: Black Smooth
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Black Smooth
Counter Leather: Black Smooth
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: 1/4" Higher
Midsole: Double
Edge: Brown
Sole: Vibram Composition Half Sole
Size - Length: 9
Size - Width: D (medium)

I ride a motorcycle so I opted for the Black Smooth versus Black Chromexcel as my understanding is that the latter scuffs really easily.

Sounds nice! I have the same build with CXL. I don't use my Nomads for riding (I prefer my smokejumpers) and I wanted the scuffs and patina of CXL.

You're going to love them.

mistercitizen

New in Town
Received my Custom Wesco Boss Engineer boots today from Baker's Boots. I'm very happy with how they turned out. The order was placed on 9-24-2014. I'll give the specs again, and then I'll post the pictures. The only thing about the final product that was different than what I was trying to order was that Wesco is unable to do the single row stitching with the close sole trim on the Boss Boots. While I would've liked to see the single row stitching and close sole trim, it's not a deal breaker for me. Brandon, at Baker Boots told me that when it was time for a resole, that they could do the single row stitching and close sole trim if I would like that down the road, so maybe I will give that a try later on.

The fit is good. They are a bit tight and the leather is stiff. The MP toe leaves the top of my big toes a little crowded, but I'm hoping that will loosen up in time. The length and width seem just about right, and while their is some heel slippage, I understand that this goes along with the nature of the boot..... and in time that will lessen.

Well, here are the specs and the pics.

1×Custom Wesco Boss
•Leather Configuration: Single Tone
•Toe Vamp Leather: Brown Domain
•Counter Leather: Brown Domain
•Upper (Shaft) Leather: Brown Domain
•Height: 11"
•Instep Straps: Brown Domain
•Instep Strap Length: 1" Longer
•Instep Buckle Options: Nickel Roller Buckle
•Top Strap Amount: One
•Top Straps: Brown Domain
•Top Strap Length: Standard
•Top Buckles: Nickel Roller Buckle
•Shaft Diameter: Standard
•Thread Color (upper): Brown
•Leather Liner: No Thanks
•Credit Card Pocket: No Pocket
•Knife Pocket: No Knife Pocket
•Gear Shift Patch: No Gear Shift Patch
•Heel Lifts: 1/4" Lower
•Midsole: Single
•Edge: Brown
•Sole: Vibram 705 (brown only)
•Outsole Stitching color: White
•Toe Pattern: Motorcycle Patrol Toe
•Steel Toe: No Thanks
•Toe Cap: No Thanks
•Rush Fee: No thanks
•Size - Length: 11.5
•Size - Width: D (medium)
Customer wants brown domain leather for this boot
Single row welt stitch with close trim

53Effie

A-List Customer
Very cool boots, Ben. I have a pair similar to yours and they have been great boots. I hope you enjoy yours too. Thanks for sharing them with us.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I ordered a pair of Wesco Women Boss custom in November.

I had surgeries on both of my feet for Morton's neuromas and now I can't stand my pair of Frey Engineer boots and pretty much all my actual shoes.

At the moment I can only wear my Alden 405...

That's why I choose Wesco since they offer to make custom size and form.

Here my order :

STYLE WW-BURG7709700 (Size: Send Me A Form)
+9165 Last
+Single-Tone:Burgundy Domain
+9" Height
+#700 Vibram® Sole
+One Top Strap (standard)
+Standard Length
+Nickel Plated Top Buckles
+Buckled Instep Straps
+Standard Length Instep Strap
+Nickel Plated Instep Buckles
+Lightweight Brown Upper Stitching
+White Outsole Stitching

I stay standard with the options. I should get them in February.

kyboots

Practically Family
Link to my photo album of the Wesco Boots mentioned above:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/album.php?albumid=97

Ben

Ben I really like the boots very classic. I continue to use the standard Wesco toe rather than MP just due to toe size. I am fearful of being cramped and swelling when wearing for a long period of time. My toes dont bend like you young guys. If I was younger I would get that toe without a doubt it is a cool style. The boots look great hope you enjoy.

mistercitizen

New in Town
Ben I really like the boots very classic. I continue to use the standard Wesco toe rather than MP just due to toe size. I am fearful of being cramped and swelling when wearing for a long period of time. My toes dont bend like you young guys. If I was younger I would get that toe without a doubt it is a cool style. The boots look great hope you enjoy.

Thank you. I'm finding that my big toe is a bit cramped due to the MP toe, even though the length and width are perfect. I am hoping that the toe loosens up a bit over time. I am getting quite a bit of heel slip as well, but I know that is to be expected. Even with the single midsole, the sole is incredibly stiff compared to any other boot or shoe I've owned. The domain leather of the upper is also very thick and heavy, and will take some time to break in. Could be a bit painful until then.

Ben

kyboots

Practically Family
Every Wesco boot I have owned has taken at least a year to break in. They are so incredibly heavy. I think the heel slippage is a good thing when new because this will tighten down as the boot does. The toe can always be stretched a little if necessary. Hey Speed that neuroma pain should go away over time. I would think the Wesco's would be great with less pressure.

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Thank you. I'm finding that my big toe is a bit cramped due to the MP toe, even though the length and width are perfect. I am hoping that the toe loosens up a bit over time. I am getting quite a bit of heel slip as well, but I know that is to be expected. Even with the single midsole, the sole is incredibly stiff compared to any other boot or shoe I've owned. The domain leather of the upper is also very thick and heavy, and will take some time to break in. Could be a bit painful until then.

Ben

Great looking boots. My Wesco Boss boots slipped for the first 10 or 12 times wearing, then one day they magically went from marginally uncomfortable to absolutely extremely comfortable. It's just a matter of the leather getting flexible enough for heel slipping to stop and the leather forming to the foot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff