Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viber natural cxl
IMG_20221012_072614.jpg

Blackadder

Very cool. I also have a pair, they're wonderful boots! I'd love a pair of Lone Wolf Carpenter boots, but sadly I don't think they are availible in the US anymore...
I have a feeling that Toyo has suspended/discontinued the Lone Wolf line. I have the engineer in brown as well, a special one off order for a shop in Tokyo.

Blackadder

Well that's a damn shame- they're great boots and well worth the cost IMO. I guess sales were not making it for Toyo...
The reason why Toyo seem to have suspended the production for the past few years may be the devaluation of Yen against Dollar. Some of these boots are made in the USA or at the very least with USA made materials. It is indeed a shame but the alternative may be to raise the price to a level that makes them unattractive. So possibly same outcome to us consumers.

Blackadder

Red Wing, probably the worst engineer boots in terms of fit there are on the market. Uncomfortable last, wrong design and wrong materials. The whole boots are made to go against your feet but they look cool.
WhatsApp Image 2022-10-25 at 12.17.02 AM.jpeg

Last edited:

JurassicUtility

One of the Regulars
Red Wing, probably the worst engineer boots in terms of fit there are on the market. Uncomfortable last, wrong design and wrong materials. The whole boots are made to go against your feet but they look cool.
View attachment 459599
lol, that's probably an accurate assessment. I hear a lot of people report that the in-step on these is too small, and causes pain around the area of the main buckle. My pair has been fine in that respect for my feet, but they are generally uncomfortable, and I rarely wear them.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
General slip on boot question. I have a low volume instep, flat foot. Therefor slip on boots tend to be loose. Does anyone have a hack for dealing with this? Adding a foot bed to raise my foot doesn’t really work because it is then too tight on the toes. Cutting the footbed by a 1/3 feels wonky. Tongue pads on the instep sort of work but tend to come off or move when i put the boots on

Blackadder

General slip on boot question. I have a low volume instep, flat foot. Therefor slip on boots tend to be loose. Does anyone have a hack for dealing with this? Adding a foot bed to raise my foot doesn’t really work because it is then too tight on the toes. Cutting the footbed by a 1/3 feels wonky. Tongue pads on the instep sort of work but tend to come off or move when i put the boots on
Have you tried going up one width then add a cushion insole?
Or adding a very thin insole but slip a tongue pad under it?

Blackadder

lol, that's probably an accurate assessment. I hear a lot of people report that the in-step on these is too small, and causes pain around the area of the main buckle. My pair has been fine in that respect for my feet, but they are generally uncomfortable, and I rarely wear them.
Even the buckles' placement are poorly designed or poorly made. Can't slip the strap under the frame without breaking a nail. Only the roughout leather ones are wearable.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Are any of the higher end engineer boots available for immediate purchase? All I see are disclaimers about long delivery times but not sure I am looking in the right place.

I have ordered a pair from Schott which haven’t arrived yet and would probabaly prefer some boots with more traditional/conventional details (as I understand them) if they are available. It does not look to me like the are made by Redwing. I suspect Schott contracted out to a US factory which kind of makes quality a crap shoot, unless you can count on Schott itself to not market an inferior product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko