Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Edward

Bartender
Those Benzeins look perfect for Me. I’m just not willing to take the risk on custom.

I hear you on that. One of the best-fitting pairs of shoes I've ever had were a pair I had made in Beijing in a small, local shop, but I was able to be measured up there. Sending in measurements by mail unless you're very certain of what you want is a risky business.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Wore the Schott’s today and for the first time I remember received a compliment on what I was wearing on my feet. On the minus side it was a sales lady; on the other hand I was leaving the store after not buying anything. She was semi-doable.

I think the rearward lean is related to the way the shafts of the boots come up higher on the outside than the inside.

They were pretty comfortable and I would say generously sized, which I like.

mlwdp

Familiar Face
Just enjoying the outdoors

A9A67D75-0578-43BC-B1BD-483A7AF1C092.jpeg.efda680ff5b628222af565f141f37543.jpeg

Pandemic

One Too Many
Those Benzeins look perfect for Me. I’m just not willing to take the risk on custom.

I hear you on that. One of the best-fitting pairs of shoes I've ever had were a pair I had made in Beijing in a small, local shop, but I was able to be measured up there. Sending in measurements by mail unless you're very certain of what you want is a risky business.

I think I got incredibly lucky with these. Everyone else I’ve seen posting about them seems to end up selling them after a few months due to fit issues. I wore them on a recent work trip and hiked all over town in them for a few days.

Edward

Bartender
I think I got incredibly lucky with these. Everyone else I’ve seen posting about them seems to end up selling them after a few months due to fit issues. I wore them on a recent work trip and hiked all over town in them for a few days.

Engineers can be tricky, but when you find a last that just works there's nothing like them!

Richard Warren

Practically Family
If anyone is interested, there is a video out there on Schott work boots in which a Schott says the leather for their boots is double tanned. One might make the assumption he is referring to a process of chrome and veg tanning in some ways similar to how Chromexcel is produced.

The leather does have what I consider a distinctive break, similar to what one sees on the net for Chromexcel. On the other hand, I does not much resemble the break on the only Chromexcel boots I personally own.

Got another compliment on the boots today, from a 91 year old woman.

No big deal except no one has ever even noticed what kind of shoes I might be wearing, no matter how cool I thought they were, so we might infer engineer boots stand out and attract attention.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Engineers can be tricky, but when you find a last that just works there's nothing like them!

This last works for me, so I’m thinking I might order a pair of jodhpurs or zip-side boots in the same last at some point - would be a little more ‘office appropriate’ and versatile in being able to fit under slimmer trousers.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wesco Boss Black Tie Domain. Solid boots that one would pick if there is a zombie apocalypse tomorrow in stead of the heat glued military boots but I'd pick another model like laced up boots or Pecos. The leather is so thick that the buckles do not work. Overbuilt and not pretty enough for casual wear. Comfortable to wear unlike the Red Wing. The buckles are useless accoutrements that do not add to the aesthetic appeal.

IMG_20221126_204149.jpg

Last edited:

Pandemic

One Too Many
Wesco Boss Black Tie Domain. Solid boots that one would pick if there is a zombie apocalypse tomorrow in stead of the heat glued military boots but I'd pick another model like laced up boots or Pecos. The leather is so thick that the buckles do not work. Overbuilt and not pretty enough for casual wear. Comfortable to wear unlike the Red Wing. The buckles are useless accoutrements that do not add to the aesthetic appeal.

View attachment 467813
I have these in a brown tie domain and agree. These were my first engineer boots. Having very wide feet, I didn’t have many options at the time, but I had not anticipated how clunky and overbuilt these would be.

4E66237D-FAFB-4689-9150-A99214A0767D.jpeg

Blackadder

I have these in a brown tie domain and agree. These were my first engineer boots. Having very wide feet, I didn’t have many options at the time, but I had not anticipated how clunky and overbuilt these would be.

View attachment 467849
Mine aren't MTM. I bought them off a dealer who was selling off their last pair. I have wide feet too but these are off the shelf D width so I went up one size. Mine does not have perfect fit yet I walk fine in these, The only gripe is I can't wear thick long socks (these are D width despite going up a size) and the thick folded seam at top of the shaft scratch my skin some time when my socks slip down.
A fd of mine bought the same last but he has the good sense of picking the harness in stead of buckles. A lot of people I know just wear engineer like slip on. I do use the buckles of my engineer to tighten up but the ones on Wesco simply do not work as intended cause the leather is too thick. I have been thinking about getting the Wesco's pecos.

Goel

A-List Customer
I'm revisiting the idea of slip on boot again. I have a boot from Wesco that fits me perfectly, but it's a lace up in the low heel motor patrol toe. I'm wondering if I would take the same size in a Boss/Morrison boot, assuming I use the same last? I'd be losing the lacing in favor of a single instep strap so I'm wondering if the sizing would change at all. Also, other than the shape of the top of the shaft is there any difference between the Boss and the Morrison? I saw someone mention the curved top of the Morrison is less likely to dig in to your shin compared to flap top which I never considered.

Blackadder

I'm revisiting the idea of slip on boot again. I have a boot from Wesco that fits me perfectly, but it's a lace up in the low heel motor patrol toe. I'm wondering if I would take the same size in a Boss/Morrison boot, assuming I use the same last? I'd be losing the lacing in favor of a single instep strap so I'm wondering if the sizing would change at all. Also, other than the shape of the top of the shaft is there any difference between the Boss and the Morrison? I saw someone mention the curved top of the Morrison is less likely to dig in to your shin compared to flap top which I never considered.
The strap on Wesco is usually useless because the basic and the tie domain leather are too thick for one to tighten up using the strap. I have never tried their other newer leather so not sure about those. You may as well pick the Morrison i.e. pecos if you buy Wesco in the basic or tie domain leather.

Goel

A-List Customer
The strap on Wesco is usually useless because the basic and the tie domain leather are too thick for one to tighten up using the strap. I have never tried their other newer leather so not sure about those. You may as well pick the Morrison i.e. pecos if you buy Wesco in the basic or tie domain leather.
I've heard some people say that, but I've also seen some say the strap is necessary. I'll keep it just in case. I'm not going for one of their leathers as I'll be supplying either horween bison or Kudu as I'd prefer a softer, more comfortable leather with an easier break in these days. Especially since I've heard these kinds of boots are notoriously hard to size for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko