Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English Clubs

Edward_Lindey

One of the Regulars
I was doing some looking around and I really wish that the US could have clubs like the British do. Is anyone here a member of any of the London Clubs? The East India Club really looked cool but sounds like it is very hard to join.

Edward

MikePotts

Practically Family
I have, by association, 'privileges' at a London military club, of which I have not taken advantage. At last years Wimbledon tennis tournament I overheard someone asking how to become a member of the AELTC, the answer was "well...the easiest way is to win the tournament".............so I think that may be one of the toughest!

MP

Rathdown

Practically Family
My son is, I believe a member of the East India; I'm a member of the Western Club (Glasgow) and the Royal Scots (Edinburgh), and am a former member of the now defunct Hibernian United Services Club (Dublin).

As with so many things "British" North Americans just don't have a clue. Unfortunatley, clubs is one of them.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Actually there are lots of British style clubs in the US. Some, of course, like the Metropolitan Club in New York, are so exclusive that you can't get withiin a mile of them, but others are more open. A couple of Loungers (myself included) are members of the Montauk Club, in Brooklyn.
http://montaukclub.com/

There are 3 clubs for theater people here in New Yotk, the Lambs Club, the Friars Club and the Players Club. There have been several vintage events held at the Players Club that a lot of Loungers have attended. It's an AMAZINGLY cool place.
http://www.theplayersnyc.org/members/

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
I've always wished for some kind of membership, too. I only know of one here in town - no doubt there are more that I'm just not privy to the existence of - and I couldn't ever get in there, so that sort of leaves me in the "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members" mood. Who knows, maybe someday the FL will up it's requirements beyond an ISP based email address, minimum posts, and compliance with the rules and I'll be out on the street! :p

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
As with so many things "British" North Americans just don't have a clue. Unfortunately, clubs is one of them.
There are dozens upon dozens of like gentlemen's clubs in America, many of which have reciprocity agreements with clubs around the world, including many of the British clubs.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
I went to such a club in London with an American friend who had a reciprocal agreement from an American club. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the club. They asked me to join but I wasn't interested.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Cost is definitely an issue. The Montauk Club, which has a fabulous history, had been declining for decades, along with Brooklyn itself. By the early 90's they were in deep trouble. About ten years ago a younger crowd moved in and took over. They reduced fees, and created a special lower fee for under 35 members. This revitalized the club dramatically. Just good marketing.
I was invited to join the Players Club by a member, but just couldn't swing it. He felt strongly that the high membership dues were an impediment to attracting the kind of new members they wanted. They waved their $2,500 initiation fee for the spring and summer and apparently it helped them a lot. But I still can't see the (I think) $2,400 a year dues. Maybe someday. It's a wonderful wonderful place, and I'm sure I would enjoy being a member.
The thing is, anyone can start a club. It's still done in England. You just need a bunch of like minded people, and a convenient place to gather. Ultimately, if it takes off, they can find a permanent home. It doesn't have to be a swanky mansion in the center of a big city. It just needs some comfortable rooms, a good bar, and access to whatever recreational facilities members enjoy.
BTW, if you want to see a very realistic recreation of the Players Club, just look at the opening scene in "All About Eve". The "Sara Siddons Society" is just a slightly disguised representation of the Players Club. The master of ceremonies at the dinner is played by Walter Hampden, who was for several decades the president of the Players Club.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was doing some looking around and I really wish that the US could have clubs like the British do. Is anyone here a member of any of the London Clubs? The East India Club really looked cool but sounds like it is very hard to join.

Edward
We were asked if we want to join the East India Club when we left our boarding school in England. Apparently it is cheaper and easier if you are a student.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Anyone have any idea how much the Army and Navy Club in DC costs per year?
Costs depend on various factors which include age and status. But even at the highest price-point it's one of the best deals going.

That is my understanding as well. I am not a member but I had the fortune of going once and it was quite nice!

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
Hello, everyone. New poster here, with a long history of enjoying the Lounge as a reader.

I am wondering if anyone knows about the Maryland Club in Baltimore. Delightful architecture and ambiance. Is the club impossible to join, terribly expensive, and so forth? Thanks for your thoughts.

mrdraper

New in Town
The lansdowne club

I've spent many happy hours cavorting with the members of the Drones Club- within the confines of P.G. Wodehouse books, of course.

well if you wish to see the Drones for real it was based on The Lansdowne Club,off Barclay Square in Londons Mayfair. Wodehouse was a member!

Edward

Bartender
I'd love to join one, but any club I can find to which I would be entitled to membership is simply well above my budget. One day in the future, maybe. It would have to be one of the old-style clubs, though - I'm not much a fan of the modern members' clubs. I might for now join the Phoenix Artists Club - it's really just a bar which has members only acess after 8pm, but it is nice. It serves food til midnight and stays open til six am, I believe. It started back in the days when there would have been nowhere else for artists to go for a drink or some food after a show. Not the cast in London now, but it still has a loyal customer base and membership.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I might for now join the Phoenix Artists Club - it's really just a bar which has members only acess after 8pm, but it is nice. It serves food til midnight and stays open til six am, I believe. It started back in the days when there would have been nowhere else for artists to go for a drink or some food after a show. Not the cast in London now, but it still has a loyal customer base and membership.

Absolutely. The Phoenix is a splendid place. And its policy of allowing non-members to enter early in the evening means that there is always a mixed crowd there. And it serves Red Stripe, which reminds me of my teenage years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner